Six Flags Over Texas (SFOT) Discussion Thread

P. 1036 - Reservation System Now Live!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 7 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Now with Extra Retarded Flavor

Re: Texas Giant Rehabilitation 2010

Postby Guy T. Koepp » Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:25 pm

Wow! No one said they were adding any sort of water splash element to the ride! That looks amazing! I can't wait for next summer! :Pr

Bonafide Donkey Expert

Postby texcoaster » Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:51 pm

^^ looking at the 3rd and 4th pics, everyone notices the bunny hills at the end and the double-up after the first drop... but OMG look at the bunny hill next to the double-up! What used to be a long, curving rise into the midcourse is now a short and steep bunny hop with an insanely steep curving pullup. I can only imagine how fast the train will have to slam that bunny hill to make it all the way up to the midcourse brake.

I'm starting to get a bit nervous about this now. When they get all this track in place and run the first trains full of dummies with accelerometers, I'm wondering how accurate their calculations of G-forces are on a train and track system that are completely new and untested. This layout seems to be REALLY pushing the envelope with little margin for error. I would hate to see this thing riddled with trims all over it -- or worse, having to reprofile several of those extreme bunny hops to reduce the ejector air forces.

Got my fingers crossed and hoping for good engineering data, but if this thing opens with the park on March 5, I'm going to be really surprised. I'm fully expecting reprofiling delays (though I hope I'm wrong).

I teach at the school of donkey!

Postby Zingoman » Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:22 pm

texcoaster wrote:^^ looking at the 3rd and 4th pics, everyone notices the bunny hills at the end and the double-up after the first drop... but OMG look at the bunny hill next to the double-up! What used to be a long, curving rise into the midcourse is now a short and steep bunny hop with an insanely steep curving pullup. I can only imagine how fast the train will have to slam that bunny hill to make it all the way up to the midcourse brake.

You can see the bunny hop before the midcourse on SFOT's Facebook.

Giant Sept 1st.jpg

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=7041800&id=65853440990
So Arrow was the bomb. I said that out loud :oops:

I know quite a lot about Donkeys!

Postby rcfreak417 » Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:25 pm

To me it looks like they cut off the old supports for the second helix...I hope they replace them.

“Fear can make a donkey attack a lion”

Postby stormrider » Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:45 pm

Those pictures are just :wtf: While they're at it, it'd be nice if they'd redo Titan's drop to be like Texas Giant's. I remember riding Texas Giant in 2002, and it was amazing to me back then (I think it was my first "big" roller coaster, but I was 11 and 48" tall so maybe I wasn't beaten up as much, but I'm not ashamed to say I like the wildness of woodies). So the people redoing this ride had a hand in building the Intamin prefabs, right? If the ride keeps the best of what it had previously, and becomes a kind of smoothed out El Toro + Texas Giant then that'd be amazing. The unknown is how this new kind of all-steel box-track is going to perform. I'd hope there'd be a little bit of "roughness" in this new ride though, but that's just my own taste :lmao: Nobody would complain if it became glass-smooth.

TPR's Olden Goldie

Postby ebl » Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:06 pm

"magnetic goodies and tires in the brake run"

Not to mention refreshments... ;)

I really can't wait to see the trains for this ride---especially after the report that they're like nothing we've seen before.

Eric
My Honda will run ringz around your Saturn.

Counts I305 as 32 credits...

Postby A.J. » Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:09 am

The big question is, what will happen to the ride when the steel starts to rust?

Great pictures, BTW.
Data entry nut for the official TPR coaster poll! https://coasterpoll.com/
Follow me on Instagram for perfectly adequate theme park photos!
The opinions that I post on this forum do not necessarily represent those of the company I work for.

Beware of the freeze-dried donkey!

Postby deguy123 » Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:27 am

Cant wait to see how this turns out! Hopefully one day Ill get out there but the ride "looks" like its going to be awesome!

I wish they would make Street Fighter Donkey.

Postby KDcoasterMAN » Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:36 am

^^ My guess is they would replace the piece...

Obsessive Overlord of the TPR Park Index

Postby larrygator » Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:29 am

A.J. wrote:The big question is, what will happen to the ride when the steel starts to rust?

Huh? Why is that a BIG question? It happens to all steel coasters.
As usual, my analysis is free of charge!
Original enough to not steal someone else's quote as a signature

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!