Six Flags Over Texas (SFOT) Discussion Thread

P. 1036 - Reservation System Now Live!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 7 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Five babies drowned in a fire

Re: Texas Giant Rehabilitation 2010

Postby Skycoastin Steve » Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:41 am

jynx242 wrote:^ I see that my reputation preceeds me :devil: . That CERTAINLY is what he said.

David

Not that there's anything wrong with that!

Did the donkey fairy give me this title?

Postby Funky Cold Medina » Thu Sep 23, 2010 5:30 pm

You can clearly see on the time lapse photos that the magic carpet is halfway done, and track for the 95+* bank is being put in. Can't wait until Saturday so I can see it myself! :br
Toro|Krypton|Giant|Maverick|Volcano|Dommy|Dback|Alpengeist|Beast|Griffon
Bojangles' Famous Chicken 'n Biscuits|Facebook|YouTube

I teach at the school of donkey!

Postby Zingoman » Thu Sep 23, 2010 5:50 pm

^"haha. I wouldn't say "that which we do not speak of" is half done. Just teh last bunny hill is done. Glad to see track finally going up though!
So Arrow was the bomb. I said that out loud :oops:

I know quite a lot about Donkeys!

Postby rcfreak417 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:08 pm

I'm pretty sure they will keep most of "that which we do not talk about" very similar to the original design. I'm definitely more curious/concerned about what is going to go where the helix was.

Now with Extra Retarded Flavor

Postby Guy T. Koepp » Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:18 pm

^Yeah, it kinda seems they're saving that area for last, as it doesn't seem to have been touched at all yet.

Postby Funky Cold Medina » Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:50 pm

And I really hope it stays that way. It would just look horrible without the helixes.

Bonafide Donkey Expert

Postby texcoaster » Sun Sep 26, 2010 3:38 pm

Just got back from Lone Star Coasterthon.

I had hoped to post lots of pics and info from a Q&A session, but all of that was rained out. Johnson creek flooded again and the entire site was unsafe for folks to go tromping about in. Sharon, the SFOT public relations queen, was really bummed about it since they had planned to let us climb the lift hill (!)
Anyway, I'm not sure what we'd have learned in the Q&A anyway, since the one guy they had on hand to talk to us was VERY tight-lipped about pretty much everything, especially about specifics of the layout, the trains, etc. Lots of "you'll have to wait and see" and "I'm not going to lose my job by telling y'all that" kind of answers.

Steve Martindale (SFOT pres) did confirm that they have a train onsite and it's "not like anything we've ever seen before". He didn't confirm nor deny any specifics about the looks of them.

We did get to walk up the exit ramp (still raining heavily, so I didn't get pics) and get a closer look than what you can see from the park. The pics don't do this thing justice. It is amazing looking. I had my doubts about this project, though I was hoping for the best. Now I'm completely stoked and even bought a SFOT season pass for 2011 yesterday. (We got to get them at the price for a ticket upgrade of $39.95)

Some tidbits: The first drop is insane. The double-up doesn't look as violent as it does in the pics, but the turn after it looks SICK. The second drop is a lot steeper than before and goes about 20ft or so further down than the original. The overbanked turn that lines back up with the first drop still looks impossible. There HAS to be more structure going up on that. Period.
After the midcourse, the ride used to do a twisting drop into the structure. That part looks pretty much like before. After a curving hilltop, the original layout dipped slightly and then rose into a high turn to enter the lift hill helix. The new layout does the drop off the midcourse, a curving hilltop, and then a STEEP drop through the structure into a wicked ground-level turn right at the edge of the station, then shoots all the way back up to a highly-banked turn that should then cross over the lift like before. Whether or not it will circle around again before the finale remains to be seen. There was no way to tell from the supports that currently exist.
As for the finale, only the final bunny hop is installed. I looked as best I could and even rode the antique car ride for a different angle, but I couldn't see ANY new ledgers or wood anywhere on that section of the ride. Clearly, the final bunny hop is going to have to come from track that is inside the structure, so the lack (so far) of new track ledgers might indicate that if there are changes to be made on that section, they probably won't be major - at least not major enough to alter the structure for it.

Postby Funky Cold Medina » Sun Sep 26, 2010 3:48 pm

^Basically sums up everything I wanted to say. I went yesterday and was in awe of that overbank. I love how you can really see the progress from Titan's lift hill and on Superman. It looks so much better in the air than on the ground.

Does Jeff Johnson count this donkey as a credit?

Postby Houston Thrills » Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:25 pm

2 comments...

texcoaster wrote:After a curving hilltop, the original layout dipped slightly and then rose into a high turn to enter the lift hill helix. The new layout does the drop off the midcourse, a curving hilltop, and then a STEEP drop through the structure into a wicked ground-level turn right at the edge of the station, then shoots all the way back up to a highly-banked turn that should then cross over the lift like before. Whether or not it will circle around again before the finale remains to be seen. There was no way to tell from the supports that currently exist.

From what I could see, it looked very likely that there would be 2 loops around the lift. It just kinda seemed like it the dive/turn wouldn't line up with the structure that was already there. Of course, judging angles from afar can be very misleading, so I wouldn't put too much weight on this. Another thing I noticed, though, was that on the single piece of structure they left up from the old double helix, they didn't cut down the handrail posts on either track, so I thought maybe there would still be 2 passing by that particular spot.

texcoaster wrote:As for the finale, only the final bunny hop is installed. I looked as best I could and even rode the antique car ride for a different angle, but I couldn't see ANY new ledgers or wood anywhere on that section of the ride. Clearly, the final bunny hop is going to have to come from track that is inside the structure, so the lack (so far) of new track ledgers might indicate that if there are changes to be made on that section, they probably won't be major - at least not major enough to alter the structure for it.

The ledgers were sitting on the ground unassembled going all the way around the last turn, you could see them from the train.

I teach at the school of donkey!

Postby Zingoman » Mon Sep 27, 2010 6:27 pm

There are ledgers for a new bunny hill before the last one installed. I have a few pictures (I nearly ruined my camera in the rain to get the shots and it was definitely worth it.
atpr11.jpg
behold in all it's glory

atpr8.jpg
first off the water level was way over the banks of the creek and swallowing the entire base of the ride.

atpr1.jpg
Here you can see the new bunnyhill in the background

atpr9.jpg
a closer look

atpr2.jpg
and here is the new "old" bunnyhill

atpr10.jpg
New track working it's way over the first overbank

atpr8.jpg
first off the water level was way over the banks of the creek and swallowing the entire base of the ride.
atpr3.jpg
magnetic goodies and tires in the brake run
atpr5.jpg
there is now a crane inside the old helix putting up ledgers
atpr4.jpg
these two ledgers are at the new drop approach to the old helix section
atpr6.jpg
if you look closely you can see the new wood blocks where the ledgers will be set. This turn is going to be crazy low and tight!
atpr7.jpg
here is a nice close view of the controversial bolt plates
atprflood2.jpg
and the show how much rain we had here is the water by Shock Wave
atprflood1.jpg
and here is the water by the mine train.
TPR 28 Texas Giant refurb demo September 25.png
and here is the updated graphic
Last edited by robbalvey on Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:09 am.
So Arrow was the bomb. I said that out loud :oops:

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!