Six Flags Over Texas (SFOT) Discussion Thread

P. 1036 - Reservation System Now Live!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 8 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: Texas Giant Rehabilitation 2010

Postby jynx242 » Tue Sep 14, 2010 1:30 pm

^This is one of the times that I'm actually glad that I haven't been able to ride a coaster since 1996! I can't emphasize enough how much TG blew my mind when I rode it back then.

Did the donkey fairy give me this title?

Postby CoasterComet » Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:30 pm

Ah yes... Giant during the ACE 1990 summer convention, right after the ride opened. Only time I ever knocked heads with someone on a coaster - it was funny though. I have pics of the blue train using a white car from the white train as the lead car - the ride was falling apart the week we were there. It was an incredible ride. One morning, returning to the park, we saw the installation of a trim on the first drop they had put on overnight. That ride was incredible then.

I teach at the school of donkey!

Postby Zingoman » Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:12 pm

^ Ha Ha. Giant certainly had its history of self destruction. Including ripping it's rear car hitch off the original trailored trains, and the more recent derailmant. Speaking of trains has anyone else checked out the rumor mill over on Screamscape and read up on the new trains? I for one think it's comically awesome and I'm all for it! If you haven't read it here is the bit from the site.

A reader sent word that early Wednesday morning they caught a quick glimpse of something new on the official Texas Giant page. The image was quickly pulled before they could even think about making a screen capture, but it apparently featured a new shot of riders screaming and a new description of what the trains will look like. From what I’m told it said that the new Texas Giant trains would be given a 1961 era Cadillac body style theme, complete with a huge set of Texas Longhorns mounted to the front.
So Arrow was the bomb. I said that out loud :oops:

Beware of the freeze-dried donkey!

Postby Gutterflower » Fri Sep 17, 2010 3:25 am

I Wonder... Could this actually make Mean Streak into a good ride?

Also excuse my ignorance but why is the finale referred to as the Flying Carpet section?

Have I mentioned how awesome donkeys are?

Postby KCForce » Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:35 am

Gutterflower wrote:I Wonder... Could this actually make Mean Streak into a good ride?

Also excuse my ignorance but why is the finale referred to as the Flying Carpet section?

In my opinion, anything would be an improvement over what the Mean Streak is today. It's probably my least favorite wooden coaster because of the heavy breaking which ruins any airtime and makes the ride basically a scenic railway.

Imagine any cartoon you've seen with a Flying Carpet where the carpet moves along quickly while making little rolling waves rapidly and then changes directions rapidly, going left, right up and down. This is what the finale on the Giant felt like. It was (and hopefully will still be) one of the best coaster finishes ever.

Bonafide Donkey Expert

Postby texcoaster » Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:36 am

Gutterflower wrote:I Wonder... Could this actually make Mean Streak into a good ride?

re: Mean Streak -- it wasn't rough its opening season, but it was boring. The only way a makeover could turn it into a good ride would be a complete reprofiling like they're doing with Giant. I understand why they're doing the big changes with Giant, creating something completely new for the GP to get excited about, but they could've simply left the profile as it was, installed the steel rails, and removed the trims. Much less money... and it would probably rocket Giant back into every top ten list on earth. From a rider standpoint, there was nothing wrong with that layout. It was absolutely insane. From a maintenance standpoint, it was a disaster.

re: flying carpet -- I don't know who coined the term, but if you think back on cartoons of folks riding a flying carpet, the carpet was always undulating under the riders in waves while the carpet was hauling serious azz. The finale of Giant began with a drop off the last helix, hit a tightly banked S-turn at breakneck speed, then made a large 180 curve completely inside the structure with undulating hills that mimicked the way a flying carpet flies. Unlike the cartoon riders of a flying carpet, though, Giant riders were usually hanging on like crazy the whole time -- or getting tossed around like rag dolls.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby jynx242 » Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:46 am

texcoaster wrote:

re: Mean Streak -- it wasn't rough its opening season, but it was boring. The only way a makeover could turn it into a good ride would be a complete reprofiling like they're doing with Giant. I understand why they're doing the big changes with Giant, creating something completely new for the GP to get excited about, but they could've simply left the profile as it was, installed the steel rails, and removed the trims. Much less money... and it would probably rocket Giant back into every top ten list on earth. From a rider standpoint, there was nothing wrong with that layout. It was absolutely insane. From a maintenance standpoint, it was a disaster.

re: flying carpet -- I don't know who coined the term, but if you think back on cartoons of folks riding a flying carpet, the carpet was always undulating under the riders in waves while the carpet was hauling serious azz. The finale of Giant began with a drop off the last helix, hit a tightly banked S-turn at breakneck speed, then made a large 180 curve completely inside the structure with undulating hills that mimicked the way a flying carpet flies. Unlike the cartoon riders of a flying carpet, though, Giant riders were usually hanging on like crazy the whole time -- or getting tossed around like rag dolls.

^ I thought we weren't mentioning the Ending That Shall Not Be Named lest they &$#@ it up.
:evil:

Bonafide Donkey Expert

Postby texcoaster » Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:19 am

Curses to the evil forces that made me forget about not discussing this.
REMVSXCK7UDLOIGHIYC2CC5CJVKT5OXE.jpeg

I teach at the school of donkey!

Postby BrandonR » Fri Sep 17, 2010 3:10 pm

Here's a video of the infamous flying carpet finale. And like most rides, it feels a lot faster and crazier on the ride than in a video, especially since it was near/enclosed within all the other supports.

Bonafide Donkey Expert

Postby texcoaster » Fri Sep 17, 2010 3:40 pm

The whole video is worth a look. This is from the early days: no trim on the first drop, no hard trims in the lift helix, and very little midcourse braking at all.
Notice also that the double-up after the third drop hadn't yet been removed.

This is the Giant that sat at #1 on my list for so long.

...and this is what it had become of late. Agonizingly slow over the lift, trim on the first drop, no double-up, trims in the helix, s-l-o-w in the helix, decent finale. Also rough as all hell, even in the non-wheel seats.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!