Six Flags Over Texas (SFOT) Discussion Thread

P. 1036 - Reservation System Now Live!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 4 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Bonafide Donkey Expert

Re: Texas Giant Rehabilitation 2010

Postby texcoaster » Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:15 pm

Zingoman wrote: I just know all my favorite things it used to do are now gone (minus the sacred finale... so far)

Don't you DARE jinx the flying carpet! I'm not going to speak of it until I see it go in... no jinx!

Don't let this donkey melt you with its laser eyes!

Postby samisthabomb » Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:53 pm

I know the ride layout is planned (duh), but doesn't it just remind you of something you'd build on RCT? And when you build it nobody will ride it because the thrill rating is like "20: ULTRA EXTREME"? But I'm sure people will ride it, including me! I can't wait :)
"The only thing standing between you and your goal is the bulls#%t story you keep telling yourself as to why you can't achieve it" - Jordan Belfort

Peace ~ Love ~ Roller Coasters

Beware of the freeze-dried donkey!

Postby deguy123 » Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:35 am

I just can't wait to see what the ride looks like when its done....Hopefully it will be worth the wait! Hopefully Ill get out there one day in the future!

Reeks of Books

Postby CorkscrewFoley » Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:02 am

Zingoman wrote:I for one am not happy with the potential return of the midcourse ESPECIALLY considering that it is now a good 20 or 30 feet lower than the original. This means you will thunder into it at a VERY swift speed (like Titan) only to be grabbed by potential trims. This means several sad things to me. First the drop off the old midcourse was fantastic, but now we just have what looks like a banked curve to look forward to, and I'm sorry but all the overbanks in the ride thus far have officially killed the airtime factor on every single drop the ride had. Put this midcourse brake in and the trains have to be able to complete the course when they stop in the block. Considering the sluggish nature the helix had when the midcourse was higher, this really leaves me thinking the helix wont go over the lift anymore, and may not be a helix anymore at all. Maybe if they put some LIMS up there I'll be excited but right now my excitement has been heavily curbed by this new "midcourse" section.

Wow...the ride's not even opened up, and you're like this because of a possible mid course? Look, the only reason I would want a mid course is for the sake of capacity. Who knows, they might not even install it in the first few years...

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby jynx242 » Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:16 pm

texcoaster wrote:
Zingoman wrote: I just know all my favorite things it used to do are now gone (minus the sacred finale... so far)

Don't you DARE jinx the flying carpet! I'm not going to speak of it until I see it go in... no jinx!

AMEN BROTHER!! It shan't be mentioned again lest it get F*#$@d up.

Reeks of Books

Postby CorkscrewFoley » Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:22 pm

Flying Carpet? As in the flat?

Challenge me at Donkey Kong...I dare ya!

Postby Dailey Enterprizes » Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:48 pm

^ I am almost certain they're referring to the "flying carpet finale" that happens before the brake run. I remember it being considered the best part, but I never got the chance to ride it. Maybe someday I'll get the chance to ride it with the finale intact.

I teach at the school of donkey!

Postby Zingoman » Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:08 pm

^Yes that is what we are talking about. The Flying Carpet section was the finale of the ride, and was absolutely outstanding.
So Arrow was the bomb. I said that out loud :oops:

Site Admin

Postby SharkTums » Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:20 pm

The 'Flying Carpet' section was also the only redeeming quality of the ride the last few years. Oh, and only in the front car or else it would try to kill you. Gosh I hope this 'transformation' works, cause that ride had really gone to hell and so many other terrible woodies could benefit if this treatment works!

Bonafide Donkey Expert

Postby texcoaster » Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:20 pm

SharkTums wrote:The 'Flying Carpet' section was also the only redeeming quality of the ride the last few years. Oh, and only in the front car or else it would try to kill you. Gosh I hope this 'transformation' works, cause that ride had really gone to hell and so many other terrible woodies could benefit if this treatment works!

It's true. Even though Giant was my #1 coaster for many years, the last five or six years were a study in diminishing returns. Do you throw a lot of money at a ride to keep it in it's current unridable state?
Or do you throw even more money at it in hopes of changing it into something so new, so different that it can essentially erase all the bad memories?

Giant wasn't even in my top 50 woodies last year.
The finale was still good even in the later years, but you were so brutalized by the first 2/3 of the ride that you couldn't enjoy it. During ERT at Lone Star Coasterthon, the Giant would have a few people all waiting on the front seat while Titan got the crowds. Such a shame.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!