Six Flags Over Texas (SFOT) Discussion Thread

P. 1036 - Reservation System Now Live!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 7 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Did the donkey fairy give me this title?
User avatar
 
Posts: 145
Joined: 27 Jan 2010
Location: Denton
Gender: Male
Age: 25

Re: Texas Giant Rehabilitation 2010

Postby Funky Cold Medina » Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:13 am

^^Maybe it'll be like spaghetti bowl coasters and it'll just be a little straight piece of track, not necessarily brakes?
Image
Toro|Krypton|Giant|Maverick|Volcano|Dommy|Dback|Alpengeist|Beast|Griffon
-93
Bojangles' Famous Chicken 'n Biscuits|Facebook|YouTube

Bonafide Donkey Expert
User avatar
 
Posts: 1017
Joined: 26 May 2005
Location: Texas
Gender: Male
Age: 53

Re: Texas Giant Rehabilitation 2010

Postby texcoaster » Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:18 am

OK, maybe I'm missing something.... but why all the love for the installation of the midcourse brake?

Opening season, the MCBR was barely used... just a little kiss of the brakes, hardly enough to notice. The train plummeted down the next drop into the structure (back seat airtime in spades!) providing a relentless finish with very little slowdown in the lift-wrapping helix and a flying carpet that was absolutely insane.

As the trains took their toll on the track (and vice versa) the brake was used more heavily and in some seasons brought the train to a complete stop. IMHO, this not only ruined the pacing of the ride, but also took the thunder out of the entire second half.

The brake run is needed for blocking if they're planning on running three trains.... but other than that, why all the love for this feature which has the potential for crippling the ride experience?

Did the donkey fairy give me this title?
User avatar
 
Posts: 145
Joined: 27 Jan 2010
Location: Denton
Gender: Male
Age: 25

Re: Texas Giant Rehabilitation 2010

Postby Funky Cold Medina » Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:23 am

^that's what I was thinking. Unless it is for running for three trains, why have it? It totally ruined the pace of the ride and I hated it. I'd rather have maybe another overbank or something, but if it'll make the ride capacity go up then that's fine with me.
Image
Toro|Krypton|Giant|Maverick|Volcano|Dommy|Dback|Alpengeist|Beast|Griffon
-93
Bojangles' Famous Chicken 'n Biscuits|Facebook|YouTube

I teach at the school of donkey!
User avatar
 
Posts: 301
Joined: 15 Jul 2010
Location: Texas
Gender: Male

Re: Texas Giant Rehabilitation 2010

Postby BrandonR » Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:36 am

texcoaster wrote:Don't count your brake runs before they're placed.
There is a flat section of track where the MCBR used to be, but none of the pics I've seen so far show any actual brakes.


Well not even the final brake run has brakes placed that I know of, yet. It's still a bit early. Judging by the looks of the ride, I doubt they'd add a flat piece of track that wasn't necessary to hold a midcourse brake.

And for capacity's sake, let's hope they plan on running three trains!

I'm a know-it-all about donkeys!
User avatar
 
Posts: 210
Joined: 17 Jul 2010
Gender: None specified
Age: 41

Re: Texas Giant Rehabilitation 2010

Postby Synshine » Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:04 am

Funky Cold Medina wrote:^^Maybe it'll be like spaghetti bowl coasters and it'll just be a little straight piece of track, not necessarily brakes?



But they are meant for mid-course brakes on the Premier spaghetti bowls; the FoF twins have them for additional blocks with the intention of running 4(or 5?) trains.

I teach at the school of donkey!
User avatar
 
Posts: 310
Joined: 10 Oct 2005
Location: Streamwood IL
Gender: Male
Age: 37

Re: Texas Giant Rehabilitation 2010

Postby Zingoman » Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:42 am

I for one am not happy with the potential return of the midcourse ESPECIALLY considering that it is now a good 20 or 30 feet lower than the original. This means you will thunder into it at a VERY swift speed (like Titan) only to be grabbed by potential trims. This means several sad things to me. First the drop off the old midcourse was fantastic, but now we just have what looks like a banked curve to look forward to, and I'm sorry but all the overbanks in the ride thus far have officially killed the airtime factor on every single drop the ride had. Put this midcourse brake in and the trains have to be able to complete the course when they stop in the block. Considering the sluggish nature the helix had when the midcourse was higher, this really leaves me thinking the helix wont go over the lift anymore, and may not be a helix anymore at all. Maybe if they put some LIMS up there I'll be excited but right now my excitement has been heavily curbed by this new "midcourse" section.
So Arrow was the bomb. I said that out loud :oops:

Image

There is no such thing as a donkey punch.
User avatar
 
Posts: 85
Joined: 10 Mar 2006
Gender: Male
Age: 56

Re: Texas Giant Rehabilitation 2010

Postby RailBlazer » Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:48 am

texcoaster wrote:
Opening season, the MCBR was barely used... just a little kiss of the brakes, hardly enough to notice. The train plummeted down the next drop into the structure (back seat airtime in spades!) providing a relentless finish with very little slowdown in the lift-wrapping helix and a flying carpet that was absolutely insane.

As the trains took their toll on the track (and vice versa) the brake was used more heavily and in some seasons brought the train to a complete stop. IMHO, this not only ruined the pacing of the ride, but also took the thunder out of the entire second half.



It wasn't the mid-course brake that took the thunder out of the second half of Giant, it was the brakes at the entrance to the helix that did that. I had one ride in the first season that the helix brake slowed the train so much, that the train barely cleared the second turn over the lift. Just when it appeared the train would stop, it crawled forward and continued on. A friend that visited the park very frequently that season saw the train stopped there on the anti-rollbacks on one visit. After the re-profiling of "Curt's Curve" in 1993, I hoped the brakes would be removed, but no such luck.

While the new ride looks interesting/crazy and appears to have a much better drop (still unsure about the turn as it drops and how that will ride), a lot of what I enjoyed about Texas Giant has been removed from the new version.

There is no such thing as a donkey punch.
User avatar
 
Posts: 85
Joined: 10 Mar 2006
Gender: Male
Age: 56

Re: Texas Giant Rehabilitation 2010

Postby RailBlazer » Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:51 am

Zingoman wrote:I for one am not happy with the potential return of the midcourse ESPECIALLY considering that it is now a good 20 or 30 feet lower than the original. This means you will thunder into it at a VERY swift speed (like Titan) only to be grabbed by potential trims. This means several sad things to me. First the drop off the old midcourse was fantastic, but now we just have what looks like a banked curve to look forward to, and I'm sorry but all the overbanks in the ride thus far have officially killed the airtime factor on every single drop the ride had. Put this midcourse brake in and the trains have to be able to complete the course when they stop in the block. Considering the sluggish nature the helix had when the midcourse was higher, this really leaves me thinking the helix wont go over the lift anymore, and may not be a helix anymore at all. Maybe if they put some LIMS up there I'll be excited but right now my excitement has been heavily curbed by this new "midcourse" section.


I was thinking about adding some similar thoughts in my last post, but you summed it up pretty well.

I teach at the school of donkey!
User avatar
 
Posts: 301
Joined: 15 Jul 2010
Location: Texas
Gender: Male

Re: Texas Giant Rehabilitation 2010

Postby BrandonR » Sun Sep 12, 2010 2:28 pm

Zingoman wrote:I for one am not happy with the potential return of the midcourse ESPECIALLY considering that it is now a good 20 or 30 feet lower than the original. This means you will thunder into it at a VERY swift speed (like Titan) only to be grabbed by potential trims. This means several sad things to me. First the drop off the old midcourse was fantastic, but now we just have what looks like a banked curve to look forward to, and I'm sorry but all the overbanks in the ride thus far have officially killed the airtime factor on every single drop the ride had. Put this midcourse brake in and the trains have to be able to complete the course when they stop in the block. Considering the sluggish nature the helix had when the midcourse was higher, this really leaves me thinking the helix wont go over the lift anymore, and may not be a helix anymore at all. Maybe if they put some LIMS up there I'll be excited but right now my excitement has been heavily curbed by this new "midcourse" section.


But at the same time they've added two new bunny hills/double-ups that should provide plenty of airtime where none certainly didn't exist before.

I teach at the school of donkey!
User avatar
 
Posts: 310
Joined: 10 Oct 2005
Location: Streamwood IL
Gender: Male
Age: 37

Re: Texas Giant Rehabilitation 2010

Postby Zingoman » Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:11 pm

^I know and I was thrilled to see those additions, and I hate to be so glum about the ride when we only know half of what it will be so far. I would take a good airtime drop over fluffy, fluffy bunny filled with medicine and goo hill any day though. I find it hard to say fluffy, fluffy bunny filled with medicine and goo hill delivers the same thrill as barreling through a lateral filled curve and then getting thrown from your seat diving down a drop 80 feet above the ground. I won't say that these overbanks will be better than those old lateral filled curves either. Seems like they will be forceless, but I do know that I am really getting ahead of myself to judge the ride now. I just know all my favorite things it used to do are now gone (minus the sacred finale... so far)

Anyways, I was at the park today and they had lots of drive motors and tires lined up below the brake run and station today. Should see those getting installed very soon!
So Arrow was the bomb. I said that out loud :oops:

Image

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!

Who is online

Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 7 guests

These pages are in no way affiliated with nor endorsed by SeaWorld Parks & Entertainment, Cedar Fair, Legoland, Merlin Entertainment,
Blackstone, Tussaud's Group, Six Flags, Universal Theme Parks, the Walt Disney Company or any other theme park company.

All onride photos and videos on this website were taken with the permission of the park by a professional ride photographer.
For yours  and others safety, please do not attempt to take photos or videos at parks without proper permission.

Disclaimer!  You need a sense of humor to view our site, 
if you don't have a sense of humor, or are easily offended, please turn back now!
Most of the content on this forum is suitable for all ages. HOWEVER!
There may be some content that would be considered rated "PG-13."
Theme Park Review is NOT recommended for ages under 13 years of age.

cron