Michigan's Adventure (MiA) Discussion Thread

P. 212 - Camp Snoopy Coming in 2020
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 2 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: Michigan's Adventure (MiA) Discussion Thread

Postby coasterbill » Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:37 pm

Personally I sort of like this park (for what it is) but I don’t know why everyone’s jumping on Dirk, he’s making pretty valid points. He’s also right on the money about the height requirement thing which I didn’t even consider.

People get so defensive when someone else doesn’t like their home park. Why? Who cares? :lol:

Postby RAWKIN_coaster38 » Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:54 pm

Parker821 wrote:
DirkFunk wrote:There's no lights so the park can never run at night.

They have been adding lights the last few years.

Okay you know the park must be bad if this is a point of debate. :lol:

Michigan's Adventure is a bit less than a 6 hour drive for me, but if I'm going to drive that far there are so many better parks I'd rather go to. I'll make it to Michigan's Adventure someday but I don't think I'll want to go super out of my way to visit it based on the general consensus of it being a terrible park.
“If toast always lands butter-side down, and cats always land on their feet, what happens if you strap toast on the back of a cat and drop it?”

Postby VF15 » Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:38 pm

thrillrider wrote:I find it sad that they dont invest much into this park. It reminds me a lot of what they did to geauga lake. I think they are afraid to add anything, as it may effect the cash cow(cp) a few hours down the road.

I’d bet Cedar Point isn’t the reason for infrequent additions to the park. It seems like Michigan’s Adventure caters to families first and foremost, and if you’re a thrill seeker, you’re pretty much expected to go to Cedar Point. From what I’ve read on this thread before, Michigan’s Adventure still has relatively high profit margins, if that’s true I doubt it’s going the way of Geauga Lake anytime soon. I don’t think proximity to Cedar Point is a reason for sparse additions either, if that were the case, Kings Island would not have gotten the significant additions they’ve received over the past decade.

I’m still planning on going to MiA despite some of the negative comments here. I’ve wanted to ride Shivering Timbers for a while now, and this year seems like a good time to cross it off the bucket list since I’ll be living only a few hours away this summer. Now how much time I plan on spending in the park is still in question.
Last edited by VF15 on Mon Apr 29, 2019 6:47 pm.
Valleyfair Ride Operator
2016 - Wild Thing
2017 - Wild Thing/Xtreme Swing
2018 - Steel Venom/Scrambler

Cedar Point Ride Operator
2019 - Cedar Creek Mine Ride

I Love Donkeys!

Postby fredoflasvegas » Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:26 pm

My problem with Michigan's Adventure isn't the small selection of rides, it's the horrendous park operations. We cannot expect MiAdv to get new rides very often. It's located in a rather small market. When I last visited there I was disgusted with the park operations (typical me). Shivering Timbers had a seriously obxious crew that was slow as molasses. I remember the day when the Shivering crew would dispatch a train as soon as the other train headed into the helix. Now, you'd be lucky if the new passengers started locking their seatbelts at that point. This happened repeatedly. An 1 hour, 10 minute wait with only one switchback. That was when I bought Fast Lane for $45.

Then there's Wolverine Wildcat. It only has one train. But why does the park only have ONE (1) person checking lapbars and seatbelts? That's one person for BOTH sides. One dispatch took 8 minutes long, thanks in part to a guest that was so obese she couldn't fit into the seatbelt. One train on Thunderhawk, which resulted in probably in a two hour wait. I didn't even bother with Fast Lane since I would have taken at least 45 minutes with the extra large station.

I will return to MiAdv only for Shivering Timbers. It's still an amazing ride even after 20 years. I would hope that the park would invest in a second train for Wolverine Wildcat. Its a good enough coaster that warrants it.

Postby thrillrider » Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:37 pm

fredoflasvegas wrote:My problem with Michigan's Adventure isn't the small selection of rides, it's the horrendous park operations. We cannot expect MiAdv to get new rides very often. It's located in a rather small market. When I last visited there I was disgusted with the park operations (typical me). Shivering Timbers had a seriously obxious crew that was slow as molasses. I remember the day when the Shivering crew would dispatch a train as soon as the other train headed into the helix. Now, you'd be lucky if the new passengers started locking their seatbelts at that point. This happened repeatedly. An 1 hour, 10 minute wait with only one switchback. That was when I bought Fast Lane for $45.

Then there's Wolverine Wildcat. It only has one train. But why does the park only have ONE (1) person checking lapbars and seatbelts? That's one person for BOTH sides. One dispatch took 8 minutes long, thanks in part to a guest that was so obese she couldn't fit into the seatbelt. One train on Thunderhawk, which resulted in probably in a two hour wait. I didn't even bother with Fast Lane since I would have taken at least 45 minutes with the extra large station.

I will return to MiAdv only for Shivering Timbers. It's still an amazing ride even after 20 years. I would hope that the park would invest in a second train for Wolverine Wildcat. Its a good enough coaster that warrants it.

The reason that wolverine wildcat only has 1 train, is because it doesn't have a transfer track. There is no room to put it anywhere.
341 steel coasters
114 wood coasters

Don't make me kick you in the donkey!

Location: dimension not only of sight & sound but parabolic airtime hills/g-spot orgasms

Postby DirkFunk » Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:50 pm

Parker821 wrote:
DirkFunk wrote:it's poorly staffed

So is CP.

And you won't find me there until June this year because of that. I'm pretty hard on CP for their poor staffing and actively tell people not to go opening weekend around htere.

Parker821 wrote:
DirkFunk wrote:they have like, what, three rides that adults and children under 48" can ride together (two of which are coasters)?

I count 22 (Dry side), three of which are coasters. (According to the website)

I took a look - wasn't 22 (adults can't fit on Hampton Motorcycles) but it was higher than I expected given Cedar Fair's usually militant attitude on height restrictions.

DirkFunk wrote:As a water park, what have they gotten new in the last 7-8 years, some used kiddie slides from Geauga?

All Cedar Fair food stands and locations suck. Classic tenders and fries. (Cedar Fair OWNED, not including Subway, Chick Fil-A, Panda express etc..)

Cedar Point's actually managed to put in edible things (burritos, mac and cheese, cheese on a stick, the Dragon's Inn provalone sticks). Same with Kings Island and definitely true with Canada's Wonderland. Mchigan's Adventure, we agree, isn't in league with them as a facility. It's in league with Adventureland in Iowa or Kentucky Kingdom. Those parks are way better than Michigan's Adventure food wise even if they're totally midpack. Darien Lake has a full service restaurant. Michigan's Adventure has a busted ass Coasters. Knoebels exists in this world; Michigan's Adventure buys a propane grill from Home Depot and slaps it into the beer garden so the person working register can make hot dogs to order (if you have 45 minute to kill). It's bad. Pointing out other bad things doesn't make Michigan's Adventure less bad. It just further highlights that Cedar Point rents out space to food trucks (that have great food) while Michigan's Adventure...doesn't.

They do need a new entrance. Not gonna lie.

The Corkscrew station was a meme before memes existed. I'm not joking either. "SAVE THE STATION".

Your hating on stuff that's not even there lol. They A. Don't have the staffing. And B. Don't have the attendance base to warrant a show.

You want to know who has live entertainment? Coney Island Cincinnati. Idlewild. Lake Compounce has multiple show venues. Donley's Wild West Town has live entertainment, for god sakes. That park is for sale in a catalog for $7 million.

Added coasters, an indoor restaurant. Umbrella's can be found around seating areas. The carnival ride area used to be known as "the oasis". Now it is cluttered with trees.

"Cluttered with trees" is a little strong. Kiddieland and the area around Wolverine Wildcat is still concrete paradise.

Okay, sorry the park is such a disappointment.

It isn't even just that the park isn't "good": it isn't even very interesting. It is only interesting to me in so much as it maximizes bad design aesthetic and unimaginative ride selection. It's less of a functioning fun park and more of a case study in how mediocre you can make a product in this industry and still draw a crowd when you have demographics and a lack of competition.

Site Admin

Postby SharkTums » Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:53 pm

DirkFunk wrote:The Corkscrew station was a meme before memes existed. I'm not joking either. "SAVE THE STATION".

Oh god, that takes me back. We're old and have been in this hobby way too long.

Location: dimension not only of sight & sound but parabolic airtime hills/g-spot orgasms

Postby DirkFunk » Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:54 pm

thrillrider wrote:The reason that wolverine wildcat only has 1 train, is because it doesn't have a transfer track. There is no room to put it anywhere.

Right, they'd need to invest in transfer track and another train. And probably pay people more than dirt nothing wage (or just openly appeal to ex-felons) to get enough people on the platform to make it worth their while. Fred's experience is pretty much par for course for me over the last decade. I've not seen another Cedar Fair park let operators leave the booth while the ride was on to check lapbars by themselves, but at Michigan's Adventure, all things are apparently possible.

Postby DirkFunk » Mon Apr 29, 2019 6:00 pm

VF15 wrote:I’d bet Cedar Point isn’t the reason for infrequent additions to the park. It seems like Michigan’s Adventure caters to families first and foremost, and if you’re a thrill seeker, you’re pretty much expected to go to Cedar Point. From what I’ve read for on this thread before, Michigan’s Adventure still has relatively high profit margins, if that’s true I doubt it’s going the way of Geauga Lake anytime soon. I don’t think proximity to Cedar Point is a reason for sparse additions either, if that were the case, Kings Island would not have gotten the significant additions they’ve received over the past decade.

It's never going anywhere and it's never going to get better. WYSIWYG. Timbers is about as good as it's gonna ever be now with the trick track removed and the helix trimmed to the point that it does little but kill more time for the crew to circle jerk in the station before they officially stack trains. I've made my peace with it. You can go do so many other rad things in that part of the world - or even just go on a suicide run across Michigan to the northern parks like Arzo's and Cedar Valley (the latter of which is much more charming than MiAdv) - that I would never tell people to not go. In fact, people should go. They should see what total mediocrity resembles so that they don't confuse something actually good with it.

Postby coasterbill » Mon Apr 29, 2019 6:29 pm

:lol: This is my favorite thread today.

PS: Wolverine Wildcat is like a dystopian terrible Phoenix. If some random Chinese company decided to build a knockoff Phoenix it would be that. The layout is remarkably similar (tunnel and all) but it somehow manages to be completely uninteresting all around. The fact that it’s operations are so bad and it’s in a park with horrible food just makes it even more bizarre.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!