Michigan's Adventure (MiA) Discussion Thread

P. 212 - Camp Snoopy Coming in 2020
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 2 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Don't make me kick you in the donkey!

Location: dimension not only of sight & sound but parabolic airtime hills/g-spot orgasms

Re: Michigan's Adventure (MiA) Discussion Thread

Postby DirkFunk » Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:37 am

VF15 wrote:I'm planning on visiting Michigan's Adventure for a day at some point this year, likely in late July or early August. What's the best order to hit the coasters in the park (I assume Mad Mouse first due to low capacity), and are there any other tips for a first time visitor? Also, are there any hotels nearby in Muskegon that are relatively cheap but not terrible?

Mad Mouse is indeed the first thing to do, followed by Wolverine Wildcat. I'd just knock out Timbers after them, then move to doing the other two adult coasters (Corkscrew and Timberhawk) before heading back to the junior rides.

Ultimately, it's a rush to do everything that isn't Shivering Timbers so that you can reride Shivering Timbers. The rest of the park is crap.

Anything "cheap" there is going to be garbage because it's peak season on the Lake Michigan Shore. You can go do luge at Muskegon State Park 10 minutes away, hit the beach, do the dune rides, go have amazing beer, et al instead of spending time at Michigan's Adventure, the most soulless amusement park in North America. But I don't control your decision making.

Site Admin

Postby SharkTums » Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:42 am

DirkFunk wrote:You can go do luge at Muskegon State Park 10 minutes away, hit the beach, do the dune rides, go have amazing beer, et al instead of spending time at Michigan's Adventure, the most soulless amusement park in North America. But I don't control your decision making.

LOL!

It's pretty bad when even Dorney is looking down on your park like "Damn, that's a lot of concrete!"

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby Parker821 » Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:53 am

SharkTums wrote:
DirkFunk wrote:You can go do luge at Muskegon State Park 10 minutes away, hit the beach, do the dune rides, go have amazing beer, et al instead of spending time at Michigan's Adventure, the most soulless amusement park in North America. But I don't control your decision making.

LOL!

It's pretty bad when even Dorney is looking down on your park like "Damn, that's a lot of concrete!"

Lol you guys gotta remember this is a park focusing on kids and families. Not huge thrill junkies like us.
2017 Ride Operator - Mad Mouse/Shivering Timbers
2018 Ride Operator - Shivering Timbers
2019 Team Lead - Thunderhawk

Site Admin

Postby SharkTums » Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:56 am

^I don't think it's the rides we're saying need help (although they certainly do too). It's the overall vibe, theme, and feel of the place. Kids and families deserve more than rides plopped down on concrete pads.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby coasterbill » Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:57 am

Parker821 wrote:Lol you guys gotta remember this is a park focusing on kids and families. Not huge thrill junkies like us.

Exactly. While thrill junkies generally enjoy cobblestone and tasteful decorative pavers, kids and families are always seeking out concrete. Concrete is all the rage right now.

Postby Canobie Coaster » Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:09 am

Kids also probably enjoy getting a new ride here and there as well.
Top 5 Wood- Lightning Rod, Voyage, Coaster (PNE Playland), Phoenix, Boulder Dash
Top 5 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Untamed, Expedition GeForce, Twisted Colossus, Schwur des Karnan
Most Recent Trip Reports- Dutch Wonderland & Hersheypark- Summer

Don't make me kick you in the donkey!

Location: dimension not only of sight & sound but parabolic airtime hills/g-spot orgasms

Postby DirkFunk » Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:53 pm

Parker821 wrote:Lol you guys gotta remember this is a park focusing on kids and families. Not huge thrill junkies like us.

No, it sucks because it sucks. As a kids park it blows because it's poorly staffed and they have like, what, three rides that adults and children under 48" can ride together (two of which are coasters)? As a thrill park it sucks because the coaster are, with the notable exception of one, garbage. As a water park, what have they gotten new in the last 7-8 years, some used kiddie slides from Geauga? The food sucks. The buildings are all cinder block construction with (maybe) some paint on them as decoration. The food sucks. The arcade games are perpetually broken. I can't tell you the shows suck because there aren't any. There's not even a stage to do one with. The food SUCKS. There's no lights so the park can never run at night. It took 20 years for the trees to grow back after they were all knocked down in a tornado, during which time they never bothered to open any indoor venues or put up any shade structures.

My wife will not go to Michigan's Adventure. She has traversed the world, seen the good and the bad and everything in between, and she will not even bother to go in spite of it being a) the closest park to us b) literally free to enter and park. She will deny that it is her home park to anyone that asks. The number of major parks I wouldn't trade Michigan's Adventure for can be counted on one hand. Darien Lake? Absolutely, you can have Timbers. Six Flags America? In a heart beat! Valleyfair? Unfair; You guys have more than 2-3 things I want to reride. It's in the dregs next to Magic Springs and Elitch Gardens; parks that have exceptional likelihood to be closed and parted out.

Postby thrillrider » Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:14 pm

DirkFunk wrote:

No, it sucks because it sucks. As a kids park it blows because it's poorly staffed and they have like, what, three rides that adults and children under 48" can ride together (two of which are coasters)? As a thrill park it sucks because the coaster are, with the notable exception of one, garbage. As a water park, what have they gotten new in the last 7-8 years, some used kiddie slides from Geauga? The food sucks. The buildings are all cinder block construction with (maybe) some paint on them as decoration. The food sucks. The arcade games are perpetually broken. I can't tell you the shows suck because there aren't any. There's not even a stage to do one with. The food SUCKS. There's no lights so the park can never run at night. It took 20 years for the trees to grow back after they were all knocked down in a tornado, during which time they never bothered to open any indoor venues or put up any shade structures.

My wife will not go to Michigan's Adventure. She has traversed the world, seen the good and the bad and everything in between, and she will not even bother to go in spite of it being a) the closest park to us b) literally free to enter and park. She will deny that it is her home park to anyone that asks. The number of major parks I wouldn't trade Michigan's Adventure for can be counted on one hand. Darien Lake? Absolutely, you can have Timbers. Six Flags America? In a heart beat! Valleyfair? Unfair; You guys have more than 2-3 things I want to reride. It's in the dregs next to Magic Springs and Elitch Gardens; parks that have exceptional likelihood to be closed and parted out.

While I agree with some of your points, it's not as bad as you are painting it.
They do have lights now, but are not open late enough to use them. Shivering timbers, wolverine wildcat, log flume, Zacks zoomed, and thunderhawk are all fun rides that I can ride a bunch of times. I totally agree that the ride side is lacking quite a bit though.
The waterpark is the bread and butter of Michigan's adventure. They have added a few small attractions to it the past few years, and also spent a lot of money redoing part of the waterpark a few years ago. To be fair, most waterparks dont add big new attractions every year. Soak city at cedarpoint went many years without anything new.
Live entertainment has always been a weak spot for this park, but let's be honest....do they really need it? I can maybe see a water ski show or high dive show, but I dont think the park has enough attendance to support much more than that.

I find it sad that they dont invest much into this park. It reminds me a lot of what they did to geauga lake. I think they are afraid to add anything, as it may effect the cash cow(cp) a few hours down the road.
Didn't they just remove the boomerang from knotts? Why wouldn't they send it to Michigan's adventure? That would have been a great fit for this park...Hell, anything would be at this point.
And yea...the food does suck.
341 steel coasters
114 wood coasters

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby Parker821 » Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:32 pm

DirkFunk wrote:it's poorly staffed

So is CP.

DirkFunk wrote:they have like, what, three rides that adults and children under 48" can ride together (two of which are coasters)?

I count 22 (Dry side), three of which are coasters. (According to the website)

DirkFunk wrote:As a water park, what have they gotten new in the last 7-8 years, some used kiddie slides from Geauga?

The park revamped a kids area called Half Pint Paradise will all new equipment in 2017.
They also got a new attraction called beach party in 2011, also completely new.
The park has only gotten one attraction from geauga lake, Thunderhawk. NO new additions to the waterpark have been relocated from other parks.

DirkFunk wrote:The food sucks.

All Cedar Fair food stands and locations suck. Classic tenders and fries. (Cedar Fair OWNED, not including Subway, Chick Fil-A, Panda express etc..)

DirkFunk wrote:The buildings are all cinder block construction with (maybe) some paint on them as decoration.

They do need a new entrance. Not gonna lie.

DirkFunk wrote:I can't tell you the shows suck because there aren't any. There's not even a stage to do one with.

Your hating on stuff that's not even there lol. They A. Don't have the staffing. And B. Don't have the attendance base to warrant a show.

DirkFunk wrote:There's no lights so the park can never run at night.

They have been adding lights the last few years.

DirkFunk wrote:It took 20 years for the trees to grow back after they were all knocked down in a tornado, during which time they never bothered to open any indoor venues or put up any shade structures.

Added coasters, an indoor restaurant. Umbrella's can be found around seating areas. The carnival ride area used to be known as "the oasis". Now it is cluttered with trees.

DirkFunk wrote:My wife will not go to Michigan's Adventure. She has traversed the world, seen the good and the bad and everything in between, and she will not even bother to go in spite of it being a) the closest park to us b) literally free to enter and park. She will deny that it is her home park to anyone that asks. The number of major parks I wouldn't trade Michigan's Adventure for can be counted on one hand. Darien Lake? Absolutely, you can have Timbers. Six Flags America? In a heart beat! Valleyfair? Unfair; You guys have more than 2-3 things I want to reride. It's in the dregs next to Magic Springs and Elitch Gardens; parks that have exceptional likelihood to be closed and parted out.

Okay, sorry the park is such a disappointment.
Last edited by Parker821 on Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:09 pm.

I love donkeys more than me.

Postby grsupercity » Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:03 pm

Is this really a debate? Chance came through and completely refurbished the ferris wheel, Trambant and Sea Dragon. So those all look brand new. Most of the buildings have been completely repainted. The worst bathroom in the park by Zach's Zoomer was just remodeled. There is no crumbling cement or decaying buildings. The park looks nice and well landscaped now. If you went in 2006 and said everything looked shabby I would agree. Not anymore. They have touched the park front to back. I have to plenty of parks with coaster stations that have rotted roofs, torn canopy's in the water park and run down buildings. That is not this park. This park may not be a massive thrill park but its well kept and clean.
After riding Lightning Run I can not understand why parks are not lining up to buy some Hyper GTX models. That little ride rocks

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!