Efteling Discussion Thread

P. 181: Efteling hoping to reopen May 20!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 2 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Macaroni and Donkey

Re: Efteling Discussion Thread

Postby 1aflack » Sun Jun 21, 2020 11:11 am

It's a welcome addition because there aren't any coasters for the under 1.1m's at Efteling. But compared to Eftelings normal efforts this kind of seems a bit rushed and the lack of theming doesn't help. You couldn't see Europa Park or Phantasialand installing this with-out loads of theming, seems a bit of a missed opportunity.

Donkeys are my way of life!

Postby oriolat » Sun Jun 21, 2020 11:13 am

sofulsomety wrote:From a park that used to prioritize theming over everything I don't really get this... A weed infested walking trail?

As much as I love Efteling I am wondering that too. There is really not much themeing besides some props in the queue area (which looks tiresome being a cattlepen) and gorgeous station design. The ride is "cute" but I feel like we would bitching so much about this ride if it was at another park but since it's located at Efteling it gets a pass.

Max & Moritz sure looks "fun" but it's nothing else than two glorified powered coasters on a field full of weeds. Bob felt special and unique whereas this doesn't. Hopefully, at least running both sides, capacity will be through the roof!

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby thrillseeker4552 » Sun Jun 21, 2020 11:53 am

Baffles wrote:I wonder why Efteling chose to have the trains depart at opposite ends of the station, rather than race side by side?

Surely the fun factor of increased rider interaction would be more appealing.

They do look charming though!

I am thinking the same thing. At least according to both POVs, there doesn't seem to be much train interaction when the trains depart at opposite ends of the station. They seem to cross/interact only 1 or 2 times. But this can of course be different in real life, because I will say that watching POVs of West Coast Racers or Twisted Colossus does not give an accurate representation of interaction with the other train (since the POV cameras are fixed). So riding it is probably different.

It still looks like a wonderful pair of family coasters. It's funny that the relative lack of theming (for Efteling) is drawing criticism for this ride, but if this exact pair of coasters and theming were at a Six Flags or Cedar Fair park in America, it would be above and beyond! Just goes to show the differences between European and American parks. And yeah, the capacity looks phenomenal.
Steel: 197 / Wood: 33 / Total: 230
Home Parks: Knott's (when home), Lagoon (at school)
Favorite Coaster: Intimidator 305

Don't put that donkey on the floor!

Postby RCT3Bross » Sun Jun 21, 2020 12:35 pm

Baffles wrote:I wonder why Efteling chose to have the trains depart at opposite ends of the station, rather than race side by side?

Surely the fun factor of increased rider interaction would be more appealing.

They do look charming though!

This is all speculation but I guess it has to do with the fact they already have a racing coaster in Joris en de Draak, so they probably wanted to keep twin track design fresh and have them go in opposite directions. But Like I said that is just guess work.
For me it works, the theme is two kids running amok in a village so seeing the trains go in opposite directions creates a chaotic scene, but for the onride experience it did nothing for me, they could easily run these coasters independent from one other if you ask me.
Roller Coaster Traveler 3 Bross Parks of 2018: Efteling, Phantasialand, Walibi Holland, Skyline park, Europa Park, Walibi Belgium, Toverland, Thorpe Park, Alton Towers, Blackpool Pleasure Beach
2018 Rides: Fenix (Toverland), Tiki Waka (Walibi Belgium), Wicker Man (Alton Towers), Icon (Blackpool Pleasure Beach).

Previous

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!