Efteling Discussion Thread

P. 174: Max en Moritz coaster double family coaster for 2020
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 3 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Did my donkey title just change???

Re: Efteling Discussion Thread

Postby tinaalsgirl » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:24 am

What an amazing idea! Now *this* is a great way to use VR in a theme park!

Did my donkey title just change???

Postby JooordiW » Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:50 am

Pictures of the 'new' Python:

Source: ed.nl

Old track:

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby JordyC » Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:51 am

The demolition of Python has started

26240597_10156114157143854_4157233010176722934_o.jpg

After months of preparations, the time has finally come: the demolition of Python in the Efteling has started. Some parts of the track are already removed. They started with the helix at the end of the rollercoaster.

The 350,000 kilos of steel is cut into pieces with cutting torches. Then the roller coaster parts are cut into pieces of about 3,000 kilos with large hydraulic pliers, which later will be carried away and melted.

Since last Saturday, Python has been closed for a major renovation, in which virtually the entire track is being replaced. The demolition of the coaster from 1981 will take two and a half weeks. The installation of the new track sections will take seven to eight weeks.

At the same time, the operating system, brakes and gates in the station are also being replaced. The first turn and the lift hill will stay the same. The renewed Python must be operational by the end of March. The layout of the coaster does not change.

26240455_10156114157048854_5035502147726795264_o.jpg

26756498_10156114157053854_904677204010389863_o.jpg

26757042_10156114157058854_5746335244019681569_o.jpg

Source and Source
Quality Over Quantity

1. Hyperion - Energylandia 2. Wildfire - Kolmården 3. Shambhala - PortAventura 4. Taron - Phantasialand 5. Helix - Liseberg 6. Schwur des Kärnan - Hansa Park 7. Lech Coaster - Legendia 8. Expedition GeForce - Holiday Park 9. Goliath - Walibi Holland 10. Silver Star - Europa-Park

Coasters: 232 || Parks: 44

Slagharen || Plopsa Coevorden || Waarbeek || Liseberg || Kolmården || Gröna Lund || Energylandia || Legendia || Toverland || Alton Towers || South Pier || Blackpool Pleasure Beach || Thorpe Park

Postby viking86 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:28 am

Those are some awesome pictures! I love the one with the hydraulic cutters tearing through the track with bits and pieces flying everywhere! =)

As for the retracking, I never thought there would come a day where a standard cookie-cutter loop/corkscrew coaster would receive completely new track. I assume it must be a very popular ride with the locals??

Postby JordyC » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:58 am

^When it first opened back in 1981, it was the biggest, longest and fastest coaster in Europe. It was something that no one had ever seen before, and it was located at a park that practically only had fairytales. It would have been "easy" to replace it with a coaster that is bigger, longer, faster and has more inversions. But unlike most parks, Efteling cares about their history. This is like a real tribute to the coaster that made Efteling the park it is today - one of the best.
Quality Over Quantity

1. Hyperion - Energylandia 2. Wildfire - Kolmården 3. Shambhala - PortAventura 4. Taron - Phantasialand 5. Helix - Liseberg 6. Schwur des Kärnan - Hansa Park 7. Lech Coaster - Legendia 8. Expedition GeForce - Holiday Park 9. Goliath - Walibi Holland 10. Silver Star - Europa-Park

Slagharen || Plopsa Coevorden || Waarbeek || Liseberg || Kolmården || Gröna Lund || Energylandia || Legendia || Toverland || Alton Towers || South Pier || Blackpool Pleasure Beach || Thorpe Park

Site Admin

Postby SharkTums » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:53 am

Unpopular opinion amongst Efteling Fanboys - It's a 36 year old Vekoma Corkscrew...it should have just been scrapped.

Jizzy jizz jizz jizz jizz

Postby PKI Jizzman » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:03 am

Pretty impressive that they're saying it'll be ready to run by the end of March. Like Elissa said, it's just a Vekoma loop screw. They must really love that thing! Or think it's a significant part of their history.

I know the footprint of the ride isn't huge, but I can't help to think that they could have put in a more thrilling looper since you could count Baron as their "step up" thrill coaster.
Chi-livin. @adultswim @cartoonnetwork | World traveler, concert attendee, salsa connoisseur, comic reader, and theme park nerd.
Snaps: photoboothezizi

Postby JordyC » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:04 am

Efteling is a park that is very proud of itself and its history. I understand why they are renewing it - to preserve a piece of history that really was a milestone for this park. Plus, there are a lot of locals that grew up with this ride as being their first major coaster. They don't do this just with Python either, they renew almost every attraction, building or fairytale (with pretty much the only big exception being Pegasus). And honestly, I really appreciate that they care so much about their older rides.

Efteling is a very big park with a lot of space where they can build new rides and themed areas. I don't know if it has been mentioned here yet, but in the next couple of years they are going to expand on a whole new plot of land located between Vogel Rok and Python, next to the current park, with a total area of 80,000 square meters. According to the Chairman of the Board of Directors, they are going to open a major new attraction with this expansion.

What I am trying to say, without disrespecting someone's opinion, is it that if the park had a shortage of land, then I would have said the same: "Just scrap it and build something new". But they have plenty of land were they can build new rides and attractions, so it is nice to see that this piece of history will be preserved.
Quality Over Quantity

A donkey is a domesticated member of the Equidae or horse family.

Postby cookiex » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:18 am

^ At the same time rumor has it Bob isn't long for this earth so they may not be treating everything with the same dedication.
| Taron | Helix | Wildfire | Balder | blue fire Megacoaster | Schwur Des Kärnan | Silver Star | Expedition: Everest | Manta (Florida) | Kraken |
Coaster count: 91

| Europa Park | Liseberg | Phantasialand | Disney's Animal Kingdom | Gröna Lund |
Park count: 28

A zonkey is a cross between a zebra and a donkey.

Postby Rill'o'beily » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:20 am

JordyC wrote:Efteling is a park that is very proud of itself and its history. I understand why they are renewing it - to preserve a piece of history that really was a milestone for this park. Plus, there are a lot of locals that grew up with this ride as being their first major coaster.

Don't take this directed at you specifically (well you seem to be Belgian rather than Dutch anyway so free pass :lol: ) but I'm sure anyone who has read anything even slightly related to efteling online already knows this and has heard it roughly way too many times

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!