TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Parks Coasters and Rides in Movies and TV

I just watched the recent Tom Hanks movie "Hologram for a King" (kind of a "meh" movie if you ask me), and right at the beginning there are a couple of shots of Hanks riding some wooden coaster in a bizarre and seemingly pointless opening sequence. Anybody know what coaster it is?

Pretty sure that this is the Bandit at Movie Park Germany

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just watched the recent Tom Hanks movie "Hologram for a King" (kind of a "meh" movie if you ask me), and right at the beginning there are a couple of shots of Hanks riding some wooden coaster in a bizarre and seemingly pointless opening sequence. Anybody know what coaster it is?

Pretty sure that this is the Bandit at Movie Park Germany

Yes! I just checked it out, and I believe you are right! The seat backs are very distinctive. Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

I just remembered a movie I saw on cable a few years ago:"3 Ninjas High Noon At Mega Mountain".It was filmed at the new version of Elitch Gardens,but edited to look like it was an ocean side park;I think the "ocean view" of the park was filmed at Belmont Park.The movie gets even wierder:Hulk Hogan plays a washed-up TV star,and the park is taken over by terrorists who are led by Loni Anderson and that Ernest guy from all those old 1980's commercials.

• 2 years later...

A lot of television shows that film in Vancouver, have used Playland(PNE) and Coaster in one or more scenes through the years. i.e Supergirl, The Flash, Arrow, Supernatural, Gotham, The X Files, Fringe, Once Upon A Time, Smallville, The L Word...

Too many to count and remember. I am trying to find an Ultimate List that does list all the films and tv shows

that used Coaster particularly in one episode, or more. Still hunting!

For over 100 years the PNE at Hasting Park has been the location for countless movie, TV and commercial productions. Our location within the city of Vancouver is the only location with an array of adaptable buildings including facilities and studio space, scenic settings and unique building settings, green space, a 9-acre amusement park and ample on-site parking.

At least now I know, how large Playland actually is (only 9 acres?).

I don't know if this has been posted yet, but there was a recent Goldbergs episode that completely focused on a school trip to Hersheypark. The two main characters rode Sooperdooperlooper as their first coaster (the show takes place in the 80s) and the reactions are pretty hilarious!