Six Flags Over Georgia (SFOG) Discussion Thread

P. 733 - Two Villainous New Thrill Rides for 2020!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 2 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Does Jeff Johnson count this donkey as a credit?

Re: Six Flags Over Georgia (SFOG) Discussion Thread

Postby carowindsman » Sat Jul 06, 2019 12:23 pm

thrillseeker4552 wrote:
carowindsman wrote:So interesting enough I will probably be moving to Georgia in the next couple of months so my new park will be SFOG. I just want opinions how it feels to Carowinds. I went to SFOG long ago and just looking for some honest thoughts about the park. I appreciate it. I have been reading the post for this for a long time so I get the gist of it all. But just want some more feedback

I recently visited both parks literally back to back. Went to Carowinds on Friday and Saturday, then SFOG on Sunday and Monday. You said you wanted honest thoughts...

SFOG is nice and definitely better than other SF parks, but I still think Carowinds is a vastly better park. It's more than just rides: Cedar Fair parks are just more well-run. The food lines are actually manageable, food service is always good and efficient, the food itself is better (ya'll have Harmony Hall!). Operations are better at Carowinds. You can pretty much expect all coasters to be running at Carowinds any day throughout the summer. I greatly prefer Carowinds and honestly almost every other Cedar Fair park to SFOG, expect maybe Dorney or CGA.

However, I do think SFOG's ride line-up is more well-rounded. At Carowinds, there is a pretty large drop off after the "big 4." There are several bad coasters at Carowinds: Hurler, Vortex, Nighthawk, Cyclone... they're all mediocre-to-bad coasters. At SFOG, I don't think there is a bad coaster in the park. I enjoyed all of them and they have some excellent "underdogs" like Mind Bender, DDD, and Blue Hawk (I'm sure you read my post above). There are some slight advantages to SFOG, but overall I would much rather visit Carowinds again. It's just a less frustrating experience. Six Flags does some things well, but a lot of their operations and services just make you roll your eyes and say "I wish I were at Carowinds" lol.

Sorry if that seemed negative. You asked for honest. I really do like both parks, but Carowinds is just so much less stressful to visit. And, well, Fury. Yeah. Fury...

Luckily the parks aren't *that* far from each other! (at least from the perspective of us west-coast people)

No i appreciate it, It does help

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby jynx242 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:51 am

^ Welcome (soon) to Georgia. We're glad you are here. SFoG is really a damned good home park. It definitely has some of the "Six Flags" problems, but is (in my opinion) one of the better parks in the chain.

Went yesterday with my 3 year old great nephew again. It is cool to see the experience from his eyes, even if I can only look longingly at Twisted Cyclone, Mindbender, Goliath, etc... He loves the Monster Mansion and the Joker Funhouse Coaster, but the Log Flume is by far his new favorite ride. Rode it 8 times in a row yesterday, and luckily it was slow enough that the staff kept letting us stay on

Too Slow For Comfort

Postby Too Fast For Comfort » Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:06 am

carowindsman wrote:
thrillseeker4552 wrote:
carowindsman wrote:So interesting enough I will probably be moving to Georgia in the next couple of months so my new park will be SFOG. I just want opinions how it feels to Carowinds. I went to SFOG long ago and just looking for some honest thoughts about the park. I appreciate it. I have been reading the post for this for a long time so I get the gist of it all. But just want some more feedback

I recently visited both parks literally back to back. Went to Carowinds on Friday and Saturday, then SFOG on Sunday and Monday. You said you wanted honest thoughts...

SFOG is nice and definitely better than other SF parks, but I still think Carowinds is a vastly better park. It's more than just rides: Cedar Fair parks are just more well-run. The food lines are actually manageable, food service is always good and efficient, the food itself is better (ya'll have Harmony Hall!). Operations are better at Carowinds. You can pretty much expect all coasters to be running at Carowinds any day throughout the summer. I greatly prefer Carowinds and honestly almost every other Cedar Fair park to SFOG, expect maybe Dorney or CGA.

However, I do think SFOG's ride line-up is more well-rounded. At Carowinds, there is a pretty large drop off after the "big 4." There are several bad coasters at Carowinds: Hurler, Vortex, Nighthawk, Cyclone... they're all mediocre-to-bad coasters. At SFOG, I don't think there is a bad coaster in the park. I enjoyed all of them and they have some excellent "underdogs" like Mind Bender, DDD, and Blue Hawk (I'm sure you read my post above). There are some slight advantages to SFOG, but overall I would much rather visit Carowinds again. It's just a less frustrating experience. Six Flags does some things well, but a lot of their operations and services just make you roll your eyes and say "I wish I were at Carowinds" lol.

Sorry if that seemed negative. You asked for honest. I really do like both parks, but Carowinds is just so much less stressful to visit. And, well, Fury. Yeah. Fury...

Luckily the parks aren't *that* far from each other! (at least from the perspective of us west-coast people)

No i appreciate it, It does help

And you could also argue that as coaster enthusiasts, all that really matters is the top 3-4 anyway. It would be awesome if there were parks out there that had 8-9 top tier coasters outside of CP and SFMM, but for the most part, if you're lucky, its a few awesome coasters, with a bunch of kiddie coasters, aging older generation coasters, and coasters that missed the mark. And as an enthusiast, you can still make a great day out of it by collecting all the credits, and focusing on getting re-rides on the top tier coasters (and checking out the quality flats, flume, drop towers, shows, and other stuff if you wish). If you do all that, you probably don't have a lot o f time to get re-rides in on a park full top tier coasters. And once you go back to parks, at least I usually focus on the top 3-4, and maybe occasionally ride the lower tier stuff again.

So its fair to give Carowinds the edge if its top 4 stacks up with SFOG and the experience is obviously superior.

Its been years since I've been to Carowinds, but I just finished up with a trip to SFOG this weekend. The ride list itself is actually pretty good and under the radar. Pretty well balanced and tons to do. But it does have that Six Flags ickiness feel to it.

If you don't buy the Flash and you go on a Saturday or otherwise crowded day, you're looking at some pretty long lines to get on anything as the Flash takes up a lot of the capacity. But if you do buy the Flash and nobody goes, its worthless, as it only gets you up to the station, and the row lines get out of control. The employees just lack urgency and professionalism overall. The rides were constantly breaking down (one day I think every ride broke down at least once) and many of the issues were probably due to the employees not knowing how to operate the control panel. The food lines were out of control, and the one employee who would dish out food would just disappear unexpectedly. And they have that absurd bottle policy, where to get the free soda that you paid for with your pass, you need to lug around that comically oversized bottle the whole day, and climb over people to put it to the side every ride. I gave up and preferred being able to hawk empty seats to the soda. So to get ice water, you have to wait in line for a tiny cup.

All in all, I do enjoy the coasters there a lot. I just feel like when you go you're putting up with a cheap, Spirit Airlines type of experience for it. I completely agree that while CF doesn't necessarily have better rides than SF, it just feels more luxurious and you get a Delta or Jet Blue experience.

Jar-Jar Binks smells like Donkey

Postby Sportsdude360 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:57 am

Has any demolition been done yet on Splashwater Falls? I ask because, here at Over Texas, they've already begun tearing ours down. Supposedly, either OG or OT may receive a Mack Power Splash as a replacement, but it's still speculation at this point. Apparently, SF only has one MPS in it's possession, which was originally headed to Dubai, but will now go to either of these two parks.

A zonkey is a cross between a zebra and a donkey.

Postby Samuel » Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:54 pm

Too Fast For Comfort wrote:And you could also argue that as coaster enthusiasts, all that really matters is the top 3-4 anyway. It would be awesome if there were parks out there that had 8-9 top tier coasters outside of CP and SFMM, but for the most part, if you're lucky, its a few awesome coasters, with a bunch of kiddie coasters, aging older generation coasters, and coasters that missed the mark.

What you describe is the epitome of some former Paramount parks like Carowinds. They have "just OK" wooden coasters, large kids' areas, and were early adopters of innovative coasters that didn't age well like the Vekoma Dutchman, S&S thrust air prototype, B&M stand-ups, a Zamperla Volare, and originals like Son of Beast and Volcano (whew). Can't say that they didn't swing for the fences back in the day! Those lineup needed work, and Cedar Fair then added big B&Ms and other new attractions, leading to a quality gap like you described.

Those parks are doing a nice job of updating and rounding out their attractions now. It's always nice to call RMC and turn a clunker into a headliner. I still like Kennywood or Hershey's quality distribution, where I'm smiling on more than a dozen rides and look forward to zany fun on the undercard. I'm a coaster enthusiast first, but give me a Monster Mansion. When it's just top coasters without quality depth, that's when I see "we grabbed the credits and left" trip reports, and those always feel like missed opportunities for parks.

Postby jynx242 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:06 am

Sportsdude360 wrote:Has any demolition been done yet on Splashwater Falls? I ask because, here at Over Texas, they've already begun tearing ours down. Supposedly, either OG or OT may receive a Mack Power Splash as a replacement, but it's still speculation at this point. Apparently, SF only has one MPS in it's possession, which was originally headed to Dubai, but will now go to either of these two parks.

Other than some of the hardware and boats removed earlier in the season it's been a Ghost Town down there.

Ass is another word for Donkey!

Postby tndank » Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:25 am

I was at SFOG over the 4th weekend a couple times. Oddly enough, walking over to Superman we passed by a maint. guy driving in the Splashwater Falls area. He parked next to the station, got out of his truck and went over to the lift hill. Started looking at the electronics. Seemed a bit weird. Probably pulling parts for something else?

Jar-Jar Binks smells like Donkey

Postby Sportsdude360 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:27 am

^I see...

I have a feeling parts salvaged from both these Shoot The Chutes rides are headed for Six Flags St. Louis.

Postby jynx242 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:32 am

^ I was thinking the same thing when I read that St. Louis is re-opening theirs. Plenty of spare parts available now :)

Went yesterday with my little guy. I didn't realize that he was allowed to drive the Antique Cars (Hanson Cars.) After the log flume I think this is is favorite ride and I "got" do do it 5 times in a row. This is after three times on the kiddie coaster, twice on the log flume and a ride on the Sky Buckets.

David

I think Intamin should make a donkey!

Postby millertpr » Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:06 am

According to the website listed below, Six Flags Over Texas will be receiving a Mack Power Splash.

This is found in shipping archives, and is known to be accurate. It has been confirmed by industry insiders.

Should be a fun edition! I believe SFOG could receive the same.

https://panjiva.com/Six-Flags-Over-Texas/2136796
Image[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/e622c94bcc03087feff94e4513e6f51e.jpg[/img][/url]

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!