Six Flags Over Georgia (SFOG) Discussion Thread

P. 680 - Pandemonium Announced for 2019!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 3 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
"Excuse me, miss, may I pound my large rooster into your donkey?"

Re: Six Flags Over Georgia (SFOG) Discussion Thread

Postby SFOG1991 » Sat Nov 24, 2018 1:00 am

Satans Hockey wrote:
TEDodd wrote:
Satans Hockey wrote:I think the only thing I skipped that was open was the stand up . . . putting myself through that misery.

I rather enjoy Georgia Scorcher.
Certainly not misery.

I've been on a few stand ups and I've never enjoyed any of them, I should have said personal misery lol

I’ve hated or at least disliked all stand ups but Georgia Scorcher is one of my favorite coasters.

Founder of the Cult of Skank Mountain

Postby boldikus » Sat Nov 24, 2018 7:47 am

Scorcher is a nightmare, just like the rest of the standups.

Also, hey SFOG thread here is a recent report about my visit a few months ago.

Holy crap you have a HUGE donkey!

Postby TEDodd » Sat Nov 24, 2018 2:30 pm

boldikus wrote:Scorcher is a nightmare, just like the rest of the standups.

Nightmare? Wow so real dislike there.

I'm really curious why such strong feeling about them. Worse than old arrow loopers? Worn out/unmaintained woodies?

Maybe there's a thread I haven't seen?

I rather enjoy them. Would like a bit more as they are sort if tame. Give me higher G's and more inversions, but still a fun ride.
Last edited by TEDodd on Sat Nov 24, 2018 3:43 pm.

Jizzy jizz jizz jizz jizz

Postby PKI Jizzman » Sat Nov 24, 2018 3:40 pm

Georgia Scorcher is a great coaster, probably the best stand up, with some really fun elements. I really like that quick wave turn into the corkscrew.
{1991} Chicago guy. Creative ad world guy with @adultswim @cartoonnetwork World traveler, concert attendee, salsa connoisseur, comic reader, and theme park nerd

Counts I305 as 32 credits...

Postby A.J. » Sat Nov 24, 2018 4:29 pm

TEDodd wrote:I'm really curious why such strong feeling about them. Worse than old arrow loopers? Worn out/unmaintained woodies?

For one thing, the "seating" process is much more involved than it is for a regular coaster. You basically have to hold the seat height in place until the operator at the booth locks the entire train. If it locks when you have it too low, you can't stand up and have to sit awkwardly on the bicycle seat. If it locks when it's too high, you may be riding on your crotch the entire way. I knew this going in so I was able to prepare for it, but whether the seat locking actually gets telegraphed verbally depends on the operator and can really make or break your ride.

Some also think that the [B&M] stand-up coaster was a failed fad considering none have been built since Georgia Scorcher opened in 1999, and several of those existing have been converted to floorless trains. If it's any consideration, B&M will still sell you a new one if you want.

Interesting thing about those floorless trains - they're not "regular" floorless trains like you find on Kraken or Hydra. They actually sit higher than typical floorless trains (which already sit pretty high) to get closer to the center line of the original stand-up coaster layout.
Data entry nut for the official TPR coaster poll! https://coasterpoll.com/
Check out my theme park 3D visualization portfolio!
The opinions that I post on this forum do not necessarily represent those of the company I work for.

Holy crap you have a HUGE donkey!

Postby TEDodd » Sat Nov 24, 2018 4:55 pm

A.J. wrote:
TEDodd wrote:I'm really curious why such strong feeling about them. Worse than old arrow loopers? Worn out/unmaintained woodies?

For one thing, the "seating" process is much more involved than it is for a regular coaster.

I had no issues with seating the first or any other time.

Hence my query. My daughter's height and build doesn't work well but is it that common?

Wish I could afford one. Lots of "fads" have come and gone, but they weren't all bad. They just get overdone causing burn out.

Interesting bit on the conversions. Makes sense though.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Canobie Coaster » Sun Nov 25, 2018 1:15 pm

My issue with B&M stand-ups isn't the standing position. Rather it's the proximity of the OSTRs to my head. That being said, Georgia Scorcher is the one that I find enjoyable since it's by far the smoothest.
Top 5 Wood- Lightning Rod, Voyage, Phoenix, Boulder Dash, Wildfire
Top 5 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Fury 325, Expedition GeForce, Twisted Colossus, Iron Rattler
Most Recent Trip Reports- Canobie Lake Park & Six Flags New England- Goliath Only

A zonkey is a cross between a zebra and a donkey.

Postby JRice92 » Sun Nov 25, 2018 6:02 pm

I love me some Georgia Scorcher, when I visited SFOG for the first time in 2017 I re-rode Scorcher more times than any other ride in the park that day.
2015 Ride Host - Millennium Force
2016 Team Leader - Millennium Force
2017 Ride Supervisor - Valravn
2018 Ride Supervisor - Top Thrill Dragster

I wrote the book about donkeys!

Postby mark549 » Sun Nov 25, 2018 6:13 pm

I've ridden all seven B&M standups.

The only two I dared ride in the last row were Georgia Scorcher and Riddlers Revenge.

The last row of Scorcher had great airtime, the dropping feeling that is not merely being lifted out of one's seat (or off one's feet as is the case here). It was comfortable in every row, unlike the five other stand ups. (The only floorless conversion I've been on was Mantis -> Rougarou, which was a headbanger for me. One and done, especially with the RMC nearby.)

I hope Scorcher isn't converted to a floorless.

I Love Donkeys!

Postby mayb78910 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:00 pm

Scorcher is one of the most smoother of the stand ups I’ve ridden but it too has gotten a bit tougher over time. I don’t think it would be a bad floorless conversion and would probably be the best out of the ones that have been converted. My sincere hope however is that it gets a new paint job soon!

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!