Six Flags Over Georgia (SFOG) Discussion Thread

P. 733 - Two Villainous New Thrill Rides for 2020!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 4 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: Six Flags Over Georgia (SFOG) Discussion Thread

Postby coasterbill » Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:37 pm

I don't even know where to begin.

I think a Free Spin is a great fit for that rotting boat ride area (which I guess is near Superman) just because like... what else would you really put there? That said, everything else about that rumor is dumb and I have no idea what you're talking about with power related issues but that's dumb too. If that's even a thing (which is a big "if") then I assure you they'll figure it out.
Last edited by coasterbill on Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:39 pm.

token black guy

Postby jarmor » Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:38 pm

The park cant support a launch coaster due to power related issues?!?!? Can't they just install a separate grid for the coaster like lots of other parks do?
"B&M will NEVER build a coaster over 300 ft..." until 2012
"Cedar Fair will NEVER build a coaster taller than MF..." until 2015

Can I park my donkey here?

Postby mayb78910 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:07 pm

coasterbill wrote:I don't even know where to begin.

I think a Free Spin is a great fit for that rotting boat ride area (which I guess is near Superman) just because like... what else would you really put there? That said, everything else about that rumor is dumb and I have no idea what you're talking about with power related issues but that's dumb too. If that's even a thing (which is a big "if") then I assure you they'll figure it out.

First of all, I think it was clear where I stated the rumor was from. I didn’t create the rumor “Billy.” If you were to thoroughly do your research then you’d know that SFOG did have a power grid issue which is why they could not add a power launched coaster. It’s really sad when you try to share something positive with other “enthusiasts” it has to be dumb. You sound like the typical GP. I don’t recall personally asking for your opinion. Are you that bored you have nothing better to do? I’m sure your life is not that intense. Please find someone else to play with.

Founder of the Cult of Skank Mountain

Postby boldikus » Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:39 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Postby coasterbill » Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:53 pm

:lol: what just happened?

Unless you’re secretly the dude from Screamscape I’m not sure why you took anything I said personally. Relax. My post was not to be taken personally unless you’re with Screamscape (in which case I’m starting to become concerned about what’s going on over there. It’s been a downward spiral since that “we have great sources telling us that Kings Dominion is getting a launcher B&M flyer through the woods” thing).

Can’t we all just get along?

When I grow up, I want to breed donkeys!

Postby JG-77 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:21 pm

I love TPR :lol:
1. El Toro :airtime: 2. El Toro :airtimer: 3. El Toro :airtime: 4. El Toro :airtimer: --- I'm not good at ranking...

I'm a know-it-all about donkeys!

Postby TEDodd » Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:57 pm

coasterbill wrote:I have no idea what you're talking about with power related issues but that's dumb too. If that's even a thing (which is a big "if") then I assure you they'll figure it out.

I do recall such an issue at DW.
They used a newly developed bank of "ultra capacitors" from Velocity Magnetics that charges at 200 amps but can discharge at 6000 amps. https://patents.justia.com/patent/10046644
And it has a smaller footprint than flywheel generators, important for lightning Rod as there wasn't much room.

That said I'd be surprised if there was a power issue in Atlanta. It's a lot different than the rural mountains of TN.

I know more about donkeys than women!

Postby xVicesAndVirtues » Sat Nov 10, 2018 12:34 am

I used to work for a park and a concern was raised of putting a strain on the local grid when adding a few new water attractions due to having to run several new pumps and other filtration equipment. The park ended up adding their own sub-station and that was that. Costly, but was all done and everything converted within about 3-4 months in the off season. If that's even a problem at SFOG. Considering their size, they probably already have one, and if it had strain on it, they could just expand it next year when they add their Free Spin and do the launch coaster the following year.

Or Screamscape is just at it with the pipe dreams. Billy.

:lmao: :lmao:

Donkeys are my way of life!

Postby CoasterAuditor » Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:44 am

“Billy” :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

If there is any truth to Six Flags wanting to put a launch coaster in at SFOG I’m in favor. I feel like all parks should have a launch coaster in there lineup if there isn’t one it feels like something is missing but luckily I still have fun because I’m at an amusement park.
I'm an accountant that's obsessed with roller coasters
Knoebels > Everywhere

1. El Toro 2. Intimidator 305 3. Phoenix 4. Millennium Force 5. New Texas Giant

118 Coasters
16 Parks

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:38 am

Oh bother, we've gone off the rails again.

This rumour almost certainly comes from Mr. Freeze at Six Flags St. Louis. It was scheduled to open in 1997, but was delayed a year due to power issues. The St. Louis County electric grid wasn't strong enough in that area and they would have frequent rollbacks.

So you know what they did? They paid Amren a sh*tton of money to upgrade the grid, and behold the coaster opened in 1998. And lo, did Six Flags cash in.

If there's one constant in human nature it's that people are stupid, but if there's a chance to profit, we turn on ingenuity.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!