SFNO/Jazzland Discussion Thread

Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Obsessive Overlord of the TPR Park Index

Re: SFNO/Southern Star Saga Discussion Thread

Postby larrygator » Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:47 pm

I can follow your argument for building on the same plot of land from a timing perspective. Land is still zoned for amusement and certain back-end amenities may already be in place.

But is this location an appropriate place for an amusement park to thrive? You mention the Super Bowl returning to New Orleans. New Orleans has always been a huge tourist destination, but Jazzland/SFNO was not successful in drawing those tourists to the park. Why do you think your vision for the amusement park will be more successful?
Last edited by larrygator on Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:48 pm.
As usual, my analysis is free of charge!
Original enough to not steal someone else's quote as a signature

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby danny622 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:35 pm

larrygator wrote:I can follow your argument for building on the same plot of land from a timing perspective. Land is still zoned for amusement and certain back-end amenities may already be in place.

But is this location an appropriate place for an amusement park to thrive? You mention the Super Bowl returning to New Orleans. New Orleans has always been a huge tourist destination, but Jazzland/SFNO was not successful in drawing those tourists to the park. Why do you think your vision for the amusement park will be more successful?

My reasons to think that the park would do well is based on what the park did in the past (in part) I have seen the records and it was doing well, so well in fact that Six Flags was going to spend 20 million plus on a Water Park. Now we have had studies done that tell us the park will make money, but to be fair it must be something new as well and without giving away to much by adding a few new thrills all new never seen in the industry before. I will let you ponder on that. LOL The amount of work done in pure research is overwhelming and some of the best minds in the industry have been asked to come up with the answer you are seeking as well. For now I and my team are convinced that this is the right park at the right time and in the right place. Time will tell if we where right. The need to add a flag like Nickelodeon is still under discussion (not saying we would or would not use them, its to early to make that call and it is indeed a major cost) The answers are not simple but we feel that after all we have learned our plan will indeed work.
I hope this answers your question.
Thanks
Danny
SSAI

I'm wickedly obsessed with Ron Toomer

Postby B-RadG » Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:06 pm

Can't wait for Freestyle Music Park New Orleans, Danny ;)

The Pony Express can't find my teepee

Postby chadster » Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:28 pm

Serious Question to Danny -

Taking away the time it took for the city to regain control of the park, it has still been a good bit of time since they've regained control of the park. Given that, what level of confidence do you have that city government still wants an amusement park? We've all seen various reports and ideas for things other than an amusement park for that parcel float to the surface and then drown, yet, they haven't moved forward with giving you control.

Secondly, what would you use to be a draw to get the tourists out of the bars and down to the parks' location? An entertainment complex similar to what Univeral or Disney has for after hours perhaps? Or a resort complex to keep them there?

Thanks.
Last edited by chadster on Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:19 pm.

I poop golden school busses

Postby astroworldfan1 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:43 pm

The park isn't that far from downtown New Orleans. It's only about 20 minutes from the park to the exciting parts of the French Quarter, but I see what you mean by having an entertainment complex like Universal's within walking distance of the park.

"It's not small, but it is very 'average.'"

Postby Jew » Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:03 pm

^Hard Rock/Freestyle Music Park wasn't that far from the beach either. :lmao:

This is the last time I will go over this with you, I told you I would be willing to answer your questions. I did not say I would put up with abuse. I am open to your ideas and yes some criticism as I know I am not perfect, however I will remind all of you that I am the one doing the work (my company) taking the risks and spending our money to try and save the park. So please again be civil.

There is no intention for this thread to be "abusive." I have serious doubts about your "work", so I am merely trying to fill in the gaps. One thing that still baffles me is how your "investor" was afraid to put up the $500,000 refundable deposit (held in escrow) at that October meeting, and then somehow the very next month (exactly one day before the next board meeting in which you could have gone for final approval of the bond) you are claiming to have $12.5 million to buy the property outright? With $12.5 million available to you, it seems to me like the logical thing to do would have been to put down the money to get the bond so your efforts could really take off?

I would also like to know who the "best minds in the industry" working for you are what experience you and your team have in the industry.

Lastly, you should be ashamed of yourself for dodging Robb's question!

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby danny622 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:12 pm

BeemerBoy wrote:Serious question to Danny: Have you met Kat Jones?

Sorry no I have not.
Thanks
Danny
SSAI

"Excuse me, miss, may I pound my large rooster into your donkey?"

Postby stingrock23 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:44 am

Having lived here for pretty much my entire life, I can tell you that a them park will not work in this area. No tourist comes to New Orleans thinking amusement parks, so it would have to rely on the local population, and I just don't think the locals here have the theme park appetite to support it.

Now if it were just a waterpark? That could work, but it just doesn't seem like any investment in the property will be worth the money.
2007 TPR Midwest Trip,2008 TPR East Coast Trip,2009 TPR Deep South Trip

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby danny622 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:02 pm

stingrock23 wrote:Having lived here for pretty much my entire life, I can tell you that a them park will not work in this area. No tourist comes to New Orleans thinking amusement parks, so it would have to rely on the local population, and I just don't think the locals here have the theme park appetite to support it.

Now if it were just a water park? That could work, but it just doesn't seem like any investment in the property will be worth the money.

I understand what you are saying but my question to you is if a water park was in place would you go? The park as it was did fine under Six Flags and I feel that I am right, but I respect your feelings on the subject as well. Just for the fun of it, tell me what in your mind would draw people to the park? If you were the one who could name the rides and shows what would you do? What would draw you to the park and keep you coming back?

Thanks
Danny
SSAI

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby danny622 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:17 pm

B-RadG wrote:Can't wait for Freestyle Music Park New Orleans, Danny ;)

Ive been to Freestyle and spent 3 months looking that park over, and you know what I think it could be saved but then again I am always the optimist! As to New Orleans I wish I had Freestyle in the place of whats there now, it would be a much easier fix :lmao:

Oh well time will tell for both parks but dont be supprised to see Freestyle come back to life and make it this time! :b
Thanks
Danny
SSAI

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!