Rye Playland Discussion Thread

P. 30: The future(?) amid the squabbling
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I poke manatees in the butt.

Re: Rye Playland Discussion Thread

Postby Jcoaster » Fri Mar 11, 2016 7:58 am

I'd sh*t if this comes to frutation. It would be amazing for this place.
Lightening Rod/Skyrush/El Toro/I305/Superman: The Ride/ Twisted Timbers/Storm Chaser/ Apollo's Chariot/Phoenix/Boulder Dash

Jar-Jar Binks smells like Donkey

Postby Genx24 » Fri Mar 11, 2016 8:00 am

Wow this would be amazing. But I'm also taking it with a few grains of salt, so we'll see.
Total Coasters: 140

Obsessive Overlord of the TPR Park Index

Postby larrygator » Sat Mar 12, 2016 9:57 am

Thanks for the news coasterbill
For those that don't want to click through to the Journal News website here is the article

Standard Amusements would invest $30 million in addition to Westchester County's $58 million of capital work.

RYE - The company set to manage Playland wants to build a new steel roller coaster and a second marquee ride that would be visible to parkgoers as soon as they step from their cars in a refurbished parking lot.

Standard Amusements shared renderings this week with The Journal News showing the company’s vision for the future of the embattled and financially neglected county-owned park.

“This place is going to be a gem, it’s going to be an absolute gem and a huge asset to Westchester County for generations to come,” Nicholas Singer, the investor behind Standard, said in a telephone interview.

A plan is in place to hand over management of the park to Standard, pending approval by the county Board of Legislators of an amended contract that includes a promise that Westchester, as the landlord, will invest $58 million into the park's deteriorating infrastructure.

Price tag a focus

Some legislators expressed “sticker shock” at the county’s contribution — Standard will invest $30 million in addition to that figure — but a spokesman for County Executive Rob Astorino said it shouldn’t be a surprise.

“These are the county’s capital projects,” spokesman Ned McCormack said. “These are things we contemplated on our own.”

The $58 million represents 11 different projects, including redoing the parking lot and removing the miniature golf course from a refurbished fountain plaza, where Standard plans to open a boardwalk-fronted new restaurant. Two projects totaling nearly $20 million would repair the colonnades and towers in the park — but lawmakers and the company can opt to put off that work to reduce Westchester's price tag.

Aspects of the plan, including a proposal to replace the public pool with a waterfront vista, have drawn some scrutiny as the review gets underway. Legislature Vice Chairman Jim Maisano even said he wasn’t prepared to vote for an amended plan that would raze the pool.

The company is amenable to keep the pool and have it repaired, but prefers to keep it as a vista. Representatives have expressed concern that repairing the pool, which has low average daily attendance and leaks tens of thousands of gallons of water a day, could cost the county more than $10 million rather than the $4 million needed to make the area a Sound-view vista.

Deadline approaching

The company has an opt-out clause in the deal that expires at the end of this month, after it was extended from the fall. Although the legislature is reviewing the amended deal and associated construction projects, the deadline might need to be extended again.

Astorino has sought a company to take over management of the park since he came into office in 2010. Standard was chosen last year after a nonprofit set to run the park backed out of the deal.

Singer said his company has "never been more excited" and is aiming to take over as sole operator by October 2017.

“We just can’t wait to get going,” he said. “We need to get through this last hurdle and we’re off and running to make this place great.”
As usual, my analysis is free of charge!
Original enough to not steal someone else's quote as a signature

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Philrad71 » Sat Mar 12, 2016 10:09 am

I am intrigued about a potential steel coaster, but not sure if they would be able to put much more in than perhaps a Wild Mouse or maybe a Eurofighter due to space constraints and possible height concerns (not that that would be a bad thing)?

I thought that this park had some decent charm to...it just needed some TLC. I'm happy to hear that it finally might be getting it.

Postby Genx24 » Sat Mar 12, 2016 10:43 am

^ The park already has a Wild Mouse, which right now is the best coaster in the park. A Eurofighter or Mega-Lite could fit on the grounds, and would be welcome with open arms.

I poke manatees in the butt.

Postby Jcoaster » Sat Mar 12, 2016 10:55 am

[quote="Philrad71"]I am intrigued about a potential steel coaster, but not sure if they would be able to put much more in than perhaps a Wild Mouse or maybe a Eurofighter due to space constraints and possible height concerns (not that that would be a bad thing)?

I thought that this park had some decent charm to...it just needed some TLC. I'm happy to hear that it finally might be getting it.[/quote

On the plans there is a coaster in front of the park in which a Chance Morgan Hyper GT-X could fit.
Lightening Rod/Skyrush/El Toro/I305/Superman: The Ride/ Twisted Timbers/Storm Chaser/ Apollo's Chariot/Phoenix/Boulder Dash

Postby coasterbill » Sat Mar 12, 2016 10:58 am

larrygator wrote:Thanks for the news coasterbill
For those that don't want to click through to the Journal News website here is the article

lol thanks, I don't know when the Journal News became such a minefield of clickbait and landing pages so this is pretty helpful.

Beware of the freeze-dried donkey!

Postby KingRCT3 » Sat Mar 12, 2016 11:21 am

Philrad71 wrote:I am intrigued about a potential steel coaster, but not sure if they would be able to put much more in than perhaps a Wild Mouse or maybe a Eurofighter due to space constraints and possible height concerns (not that that would be a bad thing)?

Genx24 wrote:A Eurofighter or Mega-Lite could fit on the grounds, and would be welcome with open arms.

Jcoaster wrote:On the plans there is a coaster in front of the park in which a Chance Morgan Hyper GT-X could fit.

Do you guys even read my post? :cry: I basically proved that it will be a Hyper GT-X 2125 based on the plan and the fact there is one currently under construction at Chance's factory.

Postby Philrad71 » Sat Mar 12, 2016 11:36 am

^ I did read your post, but I didn't sift through all of the articles and videos to prove your theory.

If they get a Chance Hyper, that would be great, but I wonder if height and size would come into play given the park's close proximity to neighborhood houses? I would expect complaints from nearby neighbors if they propose to build a big hyper-coaster at the park, but then again, they probably already complain about the noise from the park anyway. lol

And I apologize in that I forgot that the park already had a Wild Mouse. I recall looking at it during our visit, but we didn't ride it.

Postby Genx24 » Sat Mar 12, 2016 11:40 am

^^ I read your post as well, but although the evidence adds up, you didn't "prove" anything. This plan still has to be approved. The Chance under construction could be going anywhere.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!