Rye Playland Discussion Thread

P. 30: The future(?) amid the squabbling
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Annoying, impatient and needs to be kicked by a donkey.

Re: Rye Playland Discussion Thread

Postby I305forever » Sat Apr 18, 2015 9:18 pm

^^^ Unless they modernized it and had it built by GCI, nobody would want to ride it.
Still confused about why vekomas headquarters hasn't been burnt down by an angry mob of enthusiasts

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Rollercoaster Rider » Thu Apr 23, 2015 1:41 am

I305forever wrote:^^^ Unless they modernized it and had it built by GCI, nobody would want to ride it.

What about an RMC Type Coaster with a Barrel Roll or 2?

I still like my idea of letting adults on Kiddie Coaster for $10 each.
Proud Member of the 300 Coaster Club. Joined June 16, 2012
Proud Member of the 400 Coaster Club. Joined August 17, 2013
Proud Member of the 500 Coaster Club. Joined January 30, 2015
Proud Member of the 600 Coaster Club, Joined April 21, 2017

A donkey is a domesticated member of the Equidae or horse family.

Postby Rai Fox » Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:49 am

I was hoping for Central to win the bid, but this is still far,far than Sustainable, or leaving the park is is. I'm sure it's going to see some major improvements soon.

Wonder what the odds are of Derby Racer's forward-and-back slot motion restored?

Have I mentioned how awesome donkeys are?

Postby Swede » Sat May 16, 2015 10:29 am

I'm swinging by Rye Playland next month to ride the Dragon Coaster. If you are going with the Metro from NYC what is the best stop to get off? Harrison or Rye Metro North Train Station?

Obsessive Overlord of the TPR Park Index

Postby larrygator » Sat May 16, 2015 11:38 am

Swede wrote:I'm swinging by Rye Playland next month to ride the Dragon Coaster. If you are going with the Metro from NYC what is the best stop to get off? Harrison or Rye Metro North Train Station?

Directions should be on the MTA website, mta.info
They also offer a ticket that includes transportation and all rides.
As usual, my analysis is free of charge!
Original enough to not steal someone else's quote as a signature

Postby Swede » Sat May 16, 2015 11:41 am

larrygator wrote:
Swede wrote:I'm swinging by Rye Playland next month to ride the Dragon Coaster. If you are going with the Metro from NYC what is the best stop to get off? Harrison or Rye Metro North Train Station?

Directions should be on the MTA website, mta.info
They also offer a ticket that includes transportation and all rides.

Thank you so much for that piece of information good sir! That's quite the discount. :airtime:

EDIT: Was looking at the 2011 prices at first, haha. Still, a better deal than paying everything separately. :)

Postby Swede » Sun May 17, 2015 10:26 am

I305forever wrote:^^^ Unless they modernized it and had it built by GCI, nobody would want to ride it.

And why would that be? That thing hauled ass if you watch old footage. No need to have it "modernized" but by all means, have GCI build it according to the old blueprints.

7 minutes in:

I poke manatees in the butt.

Postby Jcoaster » Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:05 pm

I'm heading up to Rye Wednesday night this week to take advantage of their 15 dollar all you can ride deal. I find the Dragon Coaster to be very underrated. From what I remember the ride had great airtime.
Lightening Rod/Skyrush/El Toro/I305/Superman: The Ride/ Twisted Timbers/Storm Chaser/ Apollo's Chariot/Phoenix/Boulder Dash

Jar-Jar Binks smells like Donkey

Postby Genx24 » Wed Jul 22, 2015 6:47 am

Visited the park last night to take advantage of its $15 twilight admission. I had high hopes for the place because I enjoyed it so much as a kid, but upon entering they were all dashed.

I hadn't been to the park in 10 years, and the only noticable change was the POP admission instead of pay as you go, which was nice. The park just had a depressing aura surrounding it. That, coupled with a poor ride selection and rude employees led to a bummer of a time.

I remembered loving the Dragon as a kid, but it was an awful ride yesterday. No speed, no air, no laterals, and a lot of shuffling and jack hammering = trash. The wild mouse looks like it's ready to topple over, but it's the best coaster in the park. Their volare is a flying death machine. I knew I was in for a bad time when I could feel pressure on my shoulders before the train left the station.

On the plus side, their S&S tower, log flume, and derby racer are all great. My first time ever on a derby racer because my parents wouldn't let me ride it as a kid; now I know why. Didn't bother with any of the other flats besides the Whip, which felt like what I imagine a car accident would feel like.

All told, my friend and I drove over an hour up to Rye just to spend two hours, but for only $15 to get in, we certainly got our monies worth. That being said, I can't see myself returning. I want to wish their new owners/management luck, because they have a lot of work to do
Total Coasters: 140

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby coasterbill » Wed Jul 22, 2015 6:51 am

Nice report,

You pretty much echo my sentiments... the only rides in the park that are any good are the Derby Racer, the Flume, the S&S tower and the Old Mill. It's sad because I basically grew up at Playland but they really let the place go. The Dragon coaster is one of the most ridiculously boring adult size coasters in the world, probably thanks in part to that awful Morgan train.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!