Ocean Park Discussion Thread

P. 20: Ocean Park's cable cars strand passengers
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Site Admin

Re: Ocean Park Discussion Thread

Postby SharkTums » Fri Aug 26, 2016 5:17 am

Once again, on the plus side, it's nice to now have a nationality that's worse than the 'ugly American' tourists!

Can you see the donkey in my toast?

Postby Garet » Sat Aug 27, 2016 4:54 am

"Please understand our culture" is the phrase I hear thrown around a lot in Asian countries as the excuse for these things or from some-one embarrassed you have seen it. Except Japan. I think in all my trips I've seen literally only one person be crappy and that was a father in DisneySea try and chew out a cast member when he went up single-rider with his young son to avoid the 3 hour line and refused to split up. Although "please understand our culture," is a sentence I'd rather not here in Japan because I love every minute there and trying to make sense of some things you see would just take the magic away. :b

She turned me into a donkey! I got better...

Postby xstech25 » Sat Aug 27, 2016 8:46 am

rosscoe wrote:Friend spent the day at the park yesterday ( Thursday ) and said the Chinese tourist where the worst he'd every seen, line cutting, yelling at each other, peeing in gardens, said the day was just awful. he enjoyed the park but said sadly he'd never go back!

Its funny in Hong Kong how you can clearly tell the difference between people from Hong Kong and a mainland tourist. I had a similar experience there on a weekend, but then on a weekday didn't see any of that.

Though I will say I enjoyed the cultural experience in a "this is fun but glad I don't live here and have to deal with it every day" way. The line for the tram was literally a stampede every time it moved, everyone running (and running each other over) just to move like 10 feet.

Obsessive Overlord of the TPR Park Index

Postby larrygator » Sun Dec 17, 2017 6:12 pm

http://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/community/article/2124627/cable-car-issue-hong-kongs-ocean-park-traps-210-riders-mid

Breakdown issues usually don't bother me, but with the location of Ocean Park cable cars and the cold weather, I think i would have been very uncomfortable during the delay

Cable car issue at Hong Kong’s Ocean Park traps 210 riders mid-air in winter cold

A spokeswoman for the Southern District amusement park said shortly before midnight that one of the two ropeways for the cable car system was suspended temporarily at 7.43pm, and that park staff had immediately performed an inspection.

“[The staff] found that the station railing on the platform had hit a cabin due to strong wind, resulting in its misalignment, which interfered with the movement of the rest of the cable car cabins,” she said.

The Hong Kong Observatory issued the first cold weather warning of the winter on Saturday afternoon, as the temperature dropped to as low as 10 degrees Celsius in some areas. The weather forecaster recorded 13 degrees in Wong Chuk Hang, where the park is located, at the time of the incident.

The spokeswoman said that no passengers were injured in the incident. Ropeway operation resumed at 8.16pm, after an urgent adjustment. Guests on that ropeway were able to start leaving the cabins.

“By 8.52pm, all 210 guests on the ropeway safely exited the ride without injury. During this period, the other ropeway and the Ocean Express funicular trains continued to operate and serve the guests of the park,” she continued.

Ocean Park informed the Electrical and Mechanical Services Department of the incident immediately. It pledged to carry out a thorough examination of the cable car system before resuming operation of the ropeway.

In November 2012, 95 riders were left in mid-air for about half an hour when one of the ropeways was suspended temporarily.

The park explained at the time that a cabin had failed to release its grip from the cable normally, prompting the cable car system to stop automatically as a safety precaution. No one was hurt.

A similar incident took place in August 2007, when 280 passengers were trapped in the cable cars for eight minutes after a conveyor belt broke.
As usual, my analysis is free of charge!
Original enough to not steal someone else's quote as a signature

Can you see the donkey in my toast?

Postby Garet » Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:30 am

Didn't see it mentioned but the mine train has been given the VR treatment: https://www.oceanpark.com.hk/en/park-experience/attractions/mine-train

I'll personally take the view over VR on that ride any day.

Delicious & Refreshing

Postby jedimaster1227 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:28 am

^Such a shame... I can't think of many other coasters that have a comparable view. Nothing like covering it up with a VR headset. :?r
Change the scheme, Alter the mood! Electrify the boys and girls if you would be so kind!

Don't put that donkey on the floor!

Postby Ed Farmer » Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:32 am

Haha, of all the places...
Been you to have any spike, man?

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:33 am

For myself....

The View From The Coaster > VR
Talk is Cheap :idea: Action is Pricele$$

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby JordyC » Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:21 am

Why would you take away one of the best views ever on a coaster?? Ugh.. When will this VR thing finally stop? :?r
Quality Over Quantity

1. Hyperion - Energylandia 2. Wildfire - Kolmården 3. Taiga - Linnanmäki 4. Untamed - Walibi Holland 5. Shambhala - PortAventura 6. Schwur des Kärnan - Hansa Park 7. Taron - Phantasialand 8. Helix - Liseberg 9. Expedition GeForce - Holiday Park 10. iSpeed - Mirabilandia

Coasters: 291 || Parks: 55

Parc Astérix || Slagharen || Plopsa Coevorden || Waarbeek || Liseberg || Kolmården || Gröna Lund || Energylandia || Legendia || Toverland || Alton Towers || South Pier || Blackpool Pleasure Beach

Site Admin

Postby SharkTums » Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:39 am

Wow, this might be officially the dumbest VR installation yet!

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!