Silver Dollar City (SDC) Discussion Thread

P. 632 - Mystic River Falls Announced for 2020
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Beware of the freeze-dried donkey!

Re: Silver Dollar City (SDC) Discussion Thread

Postby RollerManic » Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:18 pm

A friend here at school who interned with the park last summer confirmed to me it’s a water ride but said it’s not an Infinity Falls style ride as we are thinking ... now it has me really thinking about what is coming. Of course, he signed an NDA so that was as much as he could tell me, but he wasn’t able to deny it’s a water ride as parts of the through are already visible.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:21 pm

A couple of people who haven't been to SDC recently assumed it was an Infinity Falls type ride. I've never been convinced of that. I think they're rebuilding a very similar ride to the Lost River, just with better guest flow around it.

Have I mentioned how awesome donkeys are?

Postby sdcfan88 » Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:21 pm

Speaking of, I just went to the park yesterday and here is a few photos I snapped thru the fence with my DSLR.

As mentioned by others, there are several troughs already constructed along with a large concrete structure, also noted a large rectangle pit about 30-50 feet wide and 6-7 feet deep with lots of reebar for what looks like a tower structure of sorts going up just to the west of the large concrete structure which I have also assumed to be the new station building. Also noted the fact that they apparently went thru a lot of trouble to salvage the rockwork from the previous ride as they have already carefully laid it down next to some of the troughs already constructed in the same style as the former ride. The next few months should be interesting to see regarding how things develop in this area.
IMG_8520.JPG
IMG_8521.JPG
IMG_8522.JPG
IMG_8523.JPG
IMG_8524.JPG
IMG_8525.JPG
IMG_8526.JPG
IMG_8527.JPG
IMG_8528.JPG
IMG_8529.JPG
IMG_8530.JPG
IMG_8532.JPG
IMG_8535.JPG
IMG_8536.JPG
IMG_8537.JPG
IMG_8538.JPG
IMG_8540.JPG
IMG_8541.JPG
IMG_8542.JPG
IMG_8546.JPG

Postby sdcfan88 » Thu Apr 25, 2019 4:15 pm

And lastly my videos from my first trip of the season yesterday. These feature the construction progress on the "new" Lost River Ride and the debut of Engine #14 this season on the Silver Dollar Line. Flooded Mine is looking great with a lot of effects working again that I haven't seen working in a few years. The lighting also looks to be improved.

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:23 am

Nice, thanks for sharing those! I think I may have walked past you while you were filming the new gold panning thing by the Riverfront Playhouse. I remember a guy filming that, and we were definitely there on the same day.

Postby sdcfan88 » Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:55 am

Lol that very well could have been me. I guess I looked pretty serious with that camera. Had quite a few people approach me asking about the new area and asking if I was with the park media.

A zonkey is a cross between a zebra and a donkey.

Postby The Geek Mojo » Wed May 01, 2019 4:51 am

Heading out to SDC for the first time this weekend. I was just wondering if any SDC pros had any advice to give as in what are the best restaurants inside the park to eat and what rides have the longest queues during the day. We'll be there two days and we'll play it by ear to see if we need to buy the trailblazer passes or not if the crowds get to be too much. But just curious on which coasters have the slowest queues...Those would probably be the ones we head to first at park opening. Thanks for any info.

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Wed May 01, 2019 6:02 am

Saturday the park is hosting Mercy Health System's company picnic. It's the second largest employer in the Ozarks, behind only Walmart, and thousands of Mercy people will be there. We have morning and evening ERT so getting there at opening isn't going to help you. It's also going to be great weather on the opening Saturday of Bluegrass and BBQ, and SDC is known for its barbecue sauce. Get a Trailblazer. No question.

Sunday should be far better; you may be ok without a Trailblazer. Powder Keg's line moves the slowest, but Time Traveler will be the longest wait. At this point I'm still recommending everyone go straight to Time Traveler.

Also, I haven't seen this yet this spring, but I have no doubt American Plunge's line is going to be awful this year. This weekend we're looking at upper 70s, so we're getting to that threshold where people begin to consider water rides en masse. With Lost River down, you can be sure the flume will be hopping.

House of BBQ is the special festival restaurant. It's in Red Gold Heritage Hall in the Grand Expo (top right corner of the map). Otherwise all of SDC's food is great. Pick a style you like, and you'll love it.

Eat cinnamon bread.

Take the cave tour (with all the recent rain, they may take the flood route; still worth it).

A zonkey is a cross between a zebra and a donkey.

Postby The Geek Mojo » Wed May 01, 2019 7:01 am

ytterbiumanalyst wrote:Saturday the park is hosting Mercy Health System's company picnic. It's the second largest employer in the Ozarks, behind only Walmart, and thousands of Mercy people will be there. We have morning and evening ERT so getting there at opening isn't going to help you. It's also going to be great weather on the opening Saturday of Bluegrass and BBQ, and SDC is known for its barbecue sauce. Get a Trailblazer. No question.

Sunday should be far better; you may be ok without a Trailblazer. Powder Keg's line moves the slowest, but Time Traveler will be the longest wait. At this point I'm still recommending everyone go straight to Time Traveler.

Also, I haven't seen this yet this spring, but I have no doubt American Plunge's line is going to be awful this year. This weekend we're looking at upper 70s, so we're getting to that threshold where people begin to consider water rides en masse. With Lost River down, you can be sure the flume will be hopping.

House of BBQ is the special festival restaurant. It's in Red Gold Heritage Hall in the Grand Expo (top right corner of the map). Otherwise all of SDC's food is great. Pick a style you like, and you'll love it.

Eat cinnamon bread.

Take the cave tour (with all the recent rain, they may take the flood route; still worth it).

Thanks for all the info. We've been to Dollywood lots of times so I'm expecting SDC to be about the same with different rides and such. I love the cinnamon bread at Dollywood so I'm definitely going to be getting some at SDC too. Looking forward to all the BBQ...We're big BBQ lovers. I was hoping SDC had some indoor seating areas. Dollywood has some, so I expected SDC to also. Hopefully flooding won't be an issue but I realize this hasn't been the best week for weather near the Ozarks. Hopefully all that stuff is gone by the weekend. I think they're still calling for morning rain on Saturday, but maybe by opening it'll be gone. Wasn't aware of the company picnic...That is useful info. I was looking at a crowd calendar online and it said this weekend was expecting light crowds...But you can't believe everything you read on the internet. I may just go ahead and buy the advance trailblazer for Saturday. And definitely heading to Time Traveler first now. Thanks!

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Wed May 01, 2019 7:37 pm

Of course! Glad to help.

I don't think the Mercy picnic has been well publicized unless you work for the company (my wife does). Advance Trailblazer is a good idea. The Mercy picnic day is one of the few they have a real chance at selling out.

There's lots of indoor seating. Off the top of my head, the Mill, Mine, and Wagon Wheel restaurants on the square have indoor seating, as does Percy's in Midtown. Crossroads Pizza and Riverfront BBQ, both near Outlaw Run, have indoor seating, and the House of BBQ at Red Gold Heritage Hall is also indoors. I think that's all of them, might be forgetting one.

Weather has been awful recently, even had a few deaths in the storm yesterday. This weekend is looking great though. Keep in mind the cave may still be flooded even if the surface isn't, but they have a tour that goes higher up and still gives you a good view of all the major features, just from above rather than below. Still great. You'll have a good time.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!