Silver Dollar City (SDC) Discussion Thread

P. 612: "The Year of Shows & Festivals" details announced!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 3 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I love donkeys more than me.

Re: Silver Dollar City (SDC) Discussion Thread

Postby Shavethewhales » Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:05 pm

wow, I didn't think the SFStL version was that old. Do/did they all have the funky loading station like Lost River had, where the boats were kind of wedged in place in the channel and people had to climb down into them?

I feel like I never notice rapids rides, but there are indeed still a lot of them left.

Jason X versus the Robot Space Donkey!

Postby bgtlover » Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:34 pm

Rip Roarin' Rapids at Carowinds opened in 1982. It was built "in-house" however (Kings Entertainment Company). It was built before Kings Dominion's, Canada's Wonderland's and Kings Island's which are all Intamin).
Coaster Count: 128
Top 10:
1-Steel Vengeance...2-Fury 325...3-Maverick...4-Millennium Force...5-Storm Chaser
6-Mako...7-Montu...8-Kraken...9-Diamondback...10-Twisted Cyclone

I'm a know-it-all about donkeys!

Postby sdcfan88 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:02 pm

Thought I would share a little trip report, I went on Sunday (12/16) and to my surprise (and to the parks surprise) they were unexpectedly busy and staff were commenting that they have never have seen a Sunday (even at Christmas) this busy. It was like a Friday or Saturday night there. All the lots were near full and they rerouted the entrance to the back lot walkway (where the cave tour begins) and you enter the park by Browns Candy Factory. Got some rare views of Thunderation in operation seeing the trains run the lift hill and the final drop. Didn't get down to the construction/demo site by Lost River this trip though it was already dark when I arrived and couldn't see much down there anyways.

The Time Traveler & Thunderation area.

The "Alternate" entrance used by the park on Sunday night with Thunderation operating just to our right in the pitch blackness.

Flooded Mine as seen from the patio of the skillet restaurants.

Christmas in Midtown in its 2nd year.

And of course the Trains with engines #504 and #76 running rounds thru the night.
(1 hour wait time, so I skipped out this time)

Was short on time for this trip so I am gonna try to head back up again just before or just after Christmas to close out the season.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Canobie Coaster » Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:38 pm

Wow those lights look fantastic!

Does SDC run their coasters in the cold? I'd love to make a return visit in the next few years and it'd be cool to visit during Christmas provided I could get on the coasters.
Top 5 Wood- Lightning Rod, Phoenix, Boulder Dash, Wildfire, Outlaw Run
Top 5 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Twisted Colossus, Expedition GeForce, Iron Rattler, Fury 325
Most Recent Trip Reports- California's Great America & Six Flags Discovery Kingdom

Postby sdcfan88 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:10 pm

Most coasters are open if it stays above 42 degrees. Thunderation and Fire In The Hole will operate in temps as low as 32 degrees. (in dry weather)

Postby Canobie Coaster » Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:02 am

Thanks! Is 42 degrees the minimum starting temperature or a hard cutoff? Looking at Branson's typical forecast in December, it looks like temperatures aren't nearly as big of an issue there as they are at Dollywood.
Top 5 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Twisted Colossus, Expedition GeForce, Iron Rattler, Fury 325
Most Recent Trip Reports- California's Great America & Six Flags Discovery Kingdom

Postby sdcfan88 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:31 am

Time Traveler is the one that is the most sensitive and is the first to shut down as temps drop. IIRC 42 degrees is a rough approximation for operational temps for all the major coasters there.

EDIT: You can click on the individual rides for detailed operations and temps here: https://www.silverdollarcity.com/theme-park/Attractions/Rides and a generalized list is here: https://www.silverdollarcity.com/theme-park/Attractions/Rides/Ride-Temperature-Guidelines
Last edited by sdcfan88 on Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:37 am.

Postby Canobie Coaster » Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:36 am

Thanks! That's really cool that they publish that information.

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:07 am

Great photos! Pretty crazy how the train becomes the longest line at Christmas, but I get it. The lights they have back there are legit.

Beware of the freeze-dried donkey!

Postby CaptainUnknown » Sat Dec 22, 2018 2:21 pm

Does anyone know if the season pass guest passes can be redeemed the same day as the season pass is processed?
Sweet Screams are Made of This. Who Am I To Disagree?

Parks: 22
Credits: 117 (23 wood/94 steel)
Top Wood: Outlaw Run
Top Steel: Millennium Force

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!