Silver Dollar City (SDC) Discussion Thread

P. 612: "The Year of Shows & Festivals" details announced!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 4 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Can you see the donkey in my toast?

Re: Silver Dollar City (SDC) Discussion Thread

Postby Shavethewhales » Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:59 pm

So they finally can't ignore it anymore, even the local news outlets are paying attention now. The construction site is huge.

http://springfieldnewsleader.mo.newsmemory.com/publink.php?shareid=2457d7efe&fbclid=IwAR05LCbBo4MOeJYvtcehsMXx-6UreTVA273j8tbEPpOmo1EFIGnvkGjo-u8

It's going to be transformative just by the shear size of it. I'm just curious how much they'll have finished on the park-facing side by spring. They might be trying to get a lot done before the Christmas rush. SDC has had a knack for getting rides done well in advance of opening just because that is what works best for their scheduling.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:25 pm

Yup, that's the News Leader I know and love. A month late in bothering to contact their source, but then putting it on the front page. :lol:

What's with the donkeys anyway?

Postby bachir » Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:09 am

SDC did an awesome job teasing Time Traveler (even before they settled on a theme and a name). I would expect more of the same for this new ride. Its something that sets SDC apart from other parks.

What would donkeys be like on the moon?

Postby sdcfan88 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:40 am

Delete if not allowed but this does give a unique perspective of the (de)construction work happening in and around the old Lost River area.

Postby Philrad71 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:45 pm

While I always enjoy a good rapids ride, I will be very interested to see what goes in here. Glad that I got a chance to ride it when we were there last May.

Don't put that donkey on the floor!

Postby ZeroGravity55 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:49 pm

So I'm going to SDC for the first time on Saturday April 6th. Does anyone have any idea what the crowds have historically been like in early April? Would the Trailblazer pass be worth it? Also, is there anything I shouldn't miss besides the Marvel Cave tour and Cinnamon Bread? Thanks in advance!

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Sat Mar 02, 2019 1:16 am

Sweet! Glad you're visiting the Ozarks.

All Saturdays at SDC are busy, but you will be going on the Saturday of Young Christians Weekend, which has a bunch of Christian rock bands. Crowds are insane. Trailblazer Pass will be worth it.

Good to hear you're prioritising the cave and cinnamon bread. Great job. Also make sure you get a skillet at some point. They're all over the park and are really SDC's signature dish. There are several varieties, and they're all good.

The one downside to going that weekend is that there aren't the normal shows, as the Christian stuff takes over all the venues. Otherwise it should be a good time.

Don't put that donkey on the floor!

Postby ZeroGravity55 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 2:48 am

Thanks! Glad I budgeted for the trailblazer pass. I was fearful that it might be busy going on Saturday. That was the only day I could make work though with my friends schedule.

Can you see the donkey in my toast?

Postby Shavethewhales » Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:33 am

Aw man, it sucks that your first experience at SDC is going to be on the absolute worst weekend for it. It will be an interesting and hopefully fun experience. Hopefully it will encourage you to come back on a non-crazy weekend to experience it for real.

YCW is always a mad house.The park will be at capacity with 12-17 year old church kids. Despite being church kids though, some of them can often get unruly. It's always a weekend I avoid. If you are into the music, there's that at least.

Get there an hour early before gates officially open so that you can get a trailblazer. They will sell out instantly as soon as they open the booth. The trailblazer will be your only hope of getting rides on much of anything. I imagine Time Traveler will have a 2-3 hour wait all day.

I just made a donkey in No Limits!

Postby Chiselphane » Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:44 pm

ZeroGravity55 wrote:So I'm going to SDC for the first time on Saturday April 6th. Does anyone have any idea what the crowds have historically been like in early April? Would the Trailblazer pass be worth it? Also, is there anything I shouldn't miss besides the Marvel Cave tour and Cinnamon Bread? Thanks in advance!

It's not a 'must see' but Grandfather's Mansion can be easy to miss for new visitors and there aren't a lot of walk through funhouses anymore so it might be worth it. However the crowds might negate that; GM is NOT FUN to be in with a ton of people in my opinion.

Another thing that seems to get missed is that the Swinging Bridge is often a less congested pathway to/from Time Traveler/Thunderation to the front and northwest of the park; the tradeoff is its a much narrower path so if you have cross traffic it can backfire.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!