TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Over Texas

I am going to Six Flags Over Texas in the summer and it will be my first time there. Is it any good. I have heard good and bad things about the place but what do you think? When I come back I will put a trip report with photos and maybe even a video because I take my camera on all the roller coasters I can. Is Six Flags Fiesta Texas any better?

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Better than what?

Six Flags Over Texas is my favorite of the 5 Six Flags parks I have been to. (SFMM, SFAW, SFFT, SFOT, SFOG). IMO SFOT, SFOG and SFFT are very close. If SFFT had a couple of more rides it would certainly be #1.

Six Flags Over Texas was the one park I wished we had more time at on our trip last year. It was pretty well run and had some very cool rides. Mr. Freeze, TX Giant, Judge Roy Scream and Superman: Tower of Power are all awesome. Even their Boomerang wasn't that bad IMO.

The only ride where I had an issue with the camera was Mr. Freeze. Everything else was okay.

Have fun.

Does Six Flags Over Texas allow cameras on the rides? Do you need permission? I usually just go in with the camera or go on the rides but sometimes the parks made me get permission. Are all the coasters usually running or do some of them have maintanence problems. I want to go on all the roller coasters! How is Titan? Is it any good?

We were allowed to have our cameras on most of the rides. Both of those Six Flags parks are really nice. Titan is 'okay'. I'm not a big fan of it and Goliath. They're pretty good about running the rides, and running them at good capacity. If it's really busy, get a Qbot!

Elissa "it's a cool park!" Alvey

Park is usually one of the top parks for ride operations in the chain. It's run well by the people and they know what they are doing. They have been cracking down on cameras, since you really shouldn't take one on. It' s part of the corporate policy, but since SFOT is not owned by Six Flags Inc, they do make their own rules. Some ride ops will allow it, some won't and I highly doubt PR would give you permission since it's required several weeks/months in advance.

All in all, it's one of my fav six flags parks and not cause I live 24miles from it, but of how clean and well run it is. You should be able to ride everything unless it's raining, then Bobsled and Freeze will close (Freeze in moderate to heavy rain). You won't be able to get the kiddie coaster in Looney Land in, since it requires to be shorter than 48" or with a person shorter, so take a midget if you wanna ride it, but everything else should be a go.

My trip trhough the south last year, SFOT was the definite highlight. Not only do they have some great rides, the overall atmosphere in the park is a huge improvement over the dreary pissed off atmosphere at many other six flags. IMO it is the star of the six flags chain, and I would even go to the limit and say it is the best park I've been to with 10 coasters or more (yes this includes CP)

If you really want to ride Mr. Freeze, go right at park opening. When the park opens, not many people head to Gotham. Usually I can get right on, and this is the same for B:TR too. I don't know about Titan at opening...it's been a tradition for me to go to Gotham City first.

The park is well kept and well staffed, and worth going again and again. Same goes for SFFT which I will be going to in a few weeks. And hopefully I can get a TR on that.

I didn't even know that there were rumors of a rocket coaster being built. I'll try to get more info and if I do I will post as soon as I get back. What is Six Flags Over Texas latest coaser? What type of Water Rides and Thrill Rides do they have? How are they?

What is Six Flags Over Texas latest coaser? What type of Water Rides and Thrill Rides do they have? How are they?

Their latest major coaster was Titan, 4 years ago in April of 2001.

Water Rides - Roaring Rapids, Splash Water Falls, and the Flume.

Thrills Rides - Superman: Tower of Power, Titan, Mr. Freeze, Batman: The Ride, Shockwave, Flashback, Wildcatter, and Texas Giant.

Family - Judge Roy Scream, Mine Train, La Vibora (Bobsled), Runaway Mountain, Texas Chute Out, El Sombrero, Mini Mine Train, El Conquistador, Texas Tornado, and Spongebob Squarepants: 4D.

Here's how I rate them...

Mr. Freeze 9.5/10

Texas Giant 8.5/10

Titan 8/10

Shockwave 7.5/10

Runaway Mountain 7.5/10

S:TOP 7/10

B:TR 7/10

The Judge 6/10

Mine Train 6/10

La Vibora 6/10

Flashback 5/10

Wildcatter 4.5/10

El Conquistador 4.5/10

Mini Mine Train 4/10*

Texas Tornado 4/10*

El Sombrero 4/10*

Texas Chute Out 3.5/10*

Spongebob Squarepants: 4D Never Been On

Tell me if I missed any

* Have not ridden this recently

my actual favorite ride at six flags over texas was superman tower of power. I love the combo ride....and it's so tall! I rode that 8 times which is a lot for me. it's actually probably my favorite non-coaster ride...but i'm not sure.

this how i rate them-

Mr. Freeze 8/10

Texas Giant 7.5/10

Titan 8.5/10

Shockwave 6.75/10

Runaway Mountain 7/10

S:TOP 10/10

B:TR 7.25/10

Judge Roy Scream 6/10

Mine Train 3/10

La Vibora 6.5/10

Flashback 4/10

Wildcatter 4/10

Mini Mine Train 4/10

Having been on SFOTs rides PLENTY of times, I'd say pretty much all their coasters are great, if you get a good ride on them.

Superman-

I've ridden it 247 times (67 space shot, 4 turbo, 172 combo). If you ride and you don't like it, you're probably on yellow tower. Yes, there's that much of a difference between towers. Blue is the best, followed by red. If you get one of those two, you'll have a great time. It's got nice negative G's when you hit the top after the launch, and again at the turbo drop half.

Mr. Freeze -

171 rides. This is definently one where the front seat is the best. The launch isn't as powerful as some, but it's still pretty cool. The rest of the ride is one of the most high-paced I've ever been on. You only get a chance to breathe when you're on the vertical tower. It's not the most reliable ride around (It's blown two LIMs and vallied in the 05 season already), but it's easily the best ride in the park.

Titan -

161 rides. If you've been on Goliath, there's not much to say about this one. The first helix is just as intense as the second one. Just be ready for the complete stop on the mid-course breaks. Oh, and red train is usually the smoothest.

Batman -

157 rides. Not much to say about this one either, since there are so many of them. I was personally disappointed in this one, though. It's rough for a B&M, probably one of the worst of the BTR series. Still a quick rush and intense ride though.

Shockwave is best from the backseat, it's got plenty of ejector airtime from there. Texas Giant, from the front - it's much less painful up there. Judge Roy Scream may look small, but it's worth a ride. Every one of those hills has airtime. And one more, mine train - ride in the back. Most of the ride hurts from the extreme lateral G's, but the last drop into the tunnel under the pond is so cool from the back.

Be sure to check out some of the shows while you're there. SFOT's entertainment department is awesome. We're getting a handful of new shows this year, one from Fiesta Texas (which was rated the park with the best shows like a million times).

Oh, and make sure you know exactly how to get to a ride before you head off to it. SFOT has one of the worst path layouts of any park I've been too. Oil Derrick and Runaway Mountain (another awesome ride), are about a hundred feet apart but you'll walk about a quarter mile to get from one to the other.

BTW, SFFT is, in my opinion, a better park. 10 times more themeing, waaaay more flat rides, and the coasters they do have are amazing.

SFOT is a great park. I've been there pretty much every weekend it's been open since September. I'd suggest getting a Q-bot if it's crowded. My favorite rides att eh park are Freeze, Shock Wave, and Wildcatter. Wildcatter is the only ride in the park that still manages to scare the hell out of me. Shock Wave has serious ejector airtime, and Freeze is just "the coolest coaster on the planet". The paths are confusing if you don't know where you're going, so be prepared for that.