TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Uploading .ZIP files to the forums...

Well, it looks as though I got my first dose of reality that "there isn't a good webhost" out there today.

We have been having problems with members uploading .zip files, then some members not being able to download them.

The webhost tells me it is due to problems with zip software being out of sync, but my feeling is that the problem lies with the host as I can successfuly zip and unzip a file, but once I upload it, I can no longer unzip it within Windows XP, I *have* to use winrar.

This is the response I got from my host:

Thank you for contacting us.

It appears the issue related to winzip v9.0. We tested your zip file

using Winzip v8.1 and was able to open it without any problem. So it

appears user with winzip 8.1 and winrar can open the zip file fine, user

with winzip 9.0 or whatever version comes with Windows XP is having

problem. You will need to contact Winzip technical support to find the

resolution for this.

Please do not hesitate to reply if you need further assistance.

Nice, huh? Good thing they were helpful!

I have attached a test .zip file to this post, if you have the time, can you download it and see if you can get it to unzip with any de-compression programs you might have, and post back and tell me if it worked or didn't work, and what software you used to extract it.

Thanks for your help!

--Robb

test.zip

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Robb,

I downloaded and unzipped the test file with no problems using Winrar but Winzip 9.0 gives me an error message saying the zip file is corrupt.

Edit: I downloaded a Nolimits track from Coastercrazy.com and it unzipped and worked fine with Winzip 9.0 so I would say it is an issue with your webhost.

Rex 'Sic 'Em Robb!' Burrahm

No-go with WinXPSP2/FireFox or IE.

What I want to know is, since when does a host have to mess with any file? I'm going to have to assume you're using a Windows based host? I'm a Unix/Solaris guy, I don't have these problems with my websites, and have control over everything. (Windows as an internet host sucks, you have no control over files in it!) Rob, I have no experience in PHP, but have lots in Unix (my sites are PERL based). If you have any questions about Unix or Solaris, hit me up.

Dennis "thinks windows may have the desktop market, but..."

What I want to know is, since when does a host have to mess with any file? I'm going to have to assume you're using a Windows based host?

Without even asking, I would almost guarantee that is on FreeBSD. The boards move along pretty quick and the PHP engine for Windows sucks.

// Still thinks it some sort of ASCII vs Binary thingy

My webhost tells me that the problem is the changes that PHPBB makes to the file when it uploads it to my files directory. On the old webhost, I didn't have this problem because I used the FTP option.

It seems as though zip files will open in WINRAR, but not in winzip on XP. So for now, I would say just upload whatever it is you are going to zip up, unzipped, until I can find a better solution.

--Robb "Sorry...." Alvey