Universal Studios Hollywood (USH) Discussion Thread

P. 281: Rob Zombie's House of 1000 Corpses maze announced!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 4 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Site Admin

Re: Transformers: The Ride at Universal Studios Hollywood

Postby robbalvey » Fri May 25, 2012 11:43 pm

^ Wait, did the California version not get actual sets??? The Singapore version had a scene with the Bumblebee VW bug, Megatron above you, etc, etc... I remember quite a few physical sets. Did these not make it over to California???

Don't make me kick you in the donkey!

Postby Top Thrill Dragster » Fri May 25, 2012 11:54 pm

^USH version has sets. From the videos I've seen of the Singapore version it looks exactly the same as Hollywoods version.
Apollos Chariot #1!

"It's not small, but it is very 'average.'"

Postby Jew » Sat May 26, 2012 12:03 am

I think Hector is referring to the 3D aspect of the ride vs. the traditional all physical sets like Indy. USH and Singapore have the same exact scenes.

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Sat May 26, 2012 8:02 am

^ Ok, that's what I though. I agree that I like Indy better than Spiderman/Transformers, but honestly, Spiderman/Transformers is still probably in the top 2 or 3 dark rides in the world.

And I didn't feel like there were any more/less physical sets between the two of them.

I really felt that Transformers was "Spiderman with a different movie", which is quite the compliment, as Spiderman has been considered the best dark ride in the world to many people.

KidTums' personal piano player

Postby wrs28330 » Sat May 26, 2012 8:16 am

Awesome coverage David and Spears! I am a fan of the Spearsious face! :lmao:

Hey Dan, I spy Molly in the USH provided media pictures! ;)

I teach at the school of donkey!

Postby smallish » Sat May 26, 2012 10:52 am

robbalvey wrote:I really felt that Transformers was "Spiderman with a different movie", which is quite the compliment, as Spiderman has been considered the best dark ride in the world to many people.

But the question is whether it feels that way because it uses the same technology and there are a limited number of effects they can do with it (falling off a building, something grabbing the vehicle, etc.), or, as it has been all but confirmed, because Transformers was specifically designed to be a "new movie" for Spiderman now that Disney owns Marvel. In other words, is every ride using this technology going to feel exactly the same?

I thought Transformers was an excellent ride, and I especially loved the third projection screen where suddenly instead of just looking at a screen it really felt like you'd been sucked into the action. The only change I'd to this ride would be to shoot a big blast of air at the vehicle when Starscream transforms and flies off.

Does anyone know if any new effects been added since the first week of soft opening?

Starbucks Enthusiast

Postby gisco » Sat May 26, 2012 3:35 pm

Looks pretty cool. I will have to make time next time I'm in LA to pay USH a visit.

TPR's Favorite Beaner

Postby RCFreak » Sat May 26, 2012 6:45 pm

Jew wrote:I think Hector is referring to the 3D aspect of the ride vs. the traditional all physical sets like Indy. USH and Singapore have the same exact scenes.

robbalvey wrote:^ Ok, that's what I though. I agree that I like Indy better than Spiderman/Transformers, but honestly, Spiderman/Transformers is still probably in the top 2 or 3 dark rides in the world.

And I didn't feel like there were any more/less physical sets between the two of them.

I really felt that Transformers was "Spiderman with a different movie", which is quite the compliment, as Spiderman has been considered the best dark ride in the world to many people.

Correct, I guess I should have said I enjoy more physical set interaction? Again, this is a great attraction that is definitely putting USH in the right direction with another top of the line attraction. I only prefer Spider-Man slightly more because of the story (and real fire! When it works... haha) but I'm VERY glad to have this only 90 minutes away.

Now with Extra Retarded Flavor

Postby Guy T. Koepp » Sat May 26, 2012 7:06 pm

Ia m looking forward to riding this in a few weeks. It looks awesome! =)

A zonkey is a cross between a zebra and a donkey.

Postby Someotherguyuser » Sat May 26, 2012 7:27 pm

RCFreak wrote:Correct, I guess I should have said I enjoy more physical set interaction? Again, this is a great attraction that is definitely putting USH in the right direction with another top of the line attraction. I only prefer Spider-Man slightly more because of the story (and real fire! When it works... haha) but I'm VERY glad to have this only 90 minutes away.

I agree with this. I love Transformers and I'm glad I can finally ride something similar to Spiderman in my neck of the woods, but I still prefer Spiderman (I haven't even ridden the refurbed version yet!). What made Spiderman so great was the interaction of physical sets and 3D. I've noticed there were no physical effects in Transformers. Also, Spiderman spun around 360 degrees at least three times but Transformers only spun 180 degrees.

But there are a few things I will give Transformers to: stronger illusion with the elevator scenes, superior queue area, and the story. I honeslty thought the stroy for Transformers fit in better than Spidey. I mean, riding a Transformers robot to evacuate the all-spark VS a goofy news vehicle that "drives itself"? I guess that's just me.

Nit-picky comparisons aside, glad to see this after waiting so long for it.
Ghostbusters Ride at Universal Studios....let's Make it Happen!

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/universal-studios-needs-to-make-a-ghostbusters

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!