Universal Studios Hollywood (USH) Discussion Thread

P. 281: Rob Zombie's House of 1000 Corpses maze announced!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Re: Universal Studios Hollywood (USH) Discussion Thread

Postby Mustangman55 » Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:36 pm

robbalvey wrote:
Evan-500 wrote:I think it looks really awesome. And the new indoor tank section actually works well. Finally fixed those terrible sight lines. And wow. The main indoor portion is incredible.

Did we watch the same video!??!? The indoor tank section is like a lesser immersive version than Orlando's Kong or Supercharged and those rides are already underwhelming. And the main indoor section was just a mess. No real story or anything and just random stuff everywhere with a bad looking new dinosaur animatronic at the end.

I would honestly question anyone's "opinion" who would rather have a bunch of TV screens and water sprays than a practical set with real animatronics.

"Awesome" or "incredible" are absoultely not words I would imagine many people using to describe this re-do....

I’m really shocked at how little the Indominus Rex actually has to do with the the indoor section of the ride. I expected the Rex and the Indominus to actually be squaring off in a epic way instead of just kinda staring at each other? It looks very “half baked” and random imo. The Indominus is a HUGE part of JW, but it feels slapped on. Random is a great word you used for the indoor section.

Also in regards to the front gate missing I’m extremely confused as well. They could have easily had a gate that said “Jurassic Wolrd” instead of “Park”.

As a big JP fan this doesn’t seem to have the same magic. To me it feels like they wanted to have it both ways. They wanted new stuff from JW, but they didn’t take the time and effort to actually make it cohesive in a way that made sense. On the other side of things they kept so much from JP that it feels like a odd hybrid. Identity crisis.

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:51 pm

ryder wrote:I’ve actually been on the ride, and the screens are super impressive in person. And I say this as someone who is on the “universal has too many screens and I’m sick of screens” bandwagon. But the size, clarity, and synchronization of these screens in person are pretty incredible. It just doesn’t come across on a video. .

No, it actually does. Trust me. I have seen EVERY TYPE of screen based attraction known to man. At parks, at IAAPA, honestly, I've been around the world and seen a lot of screen based attractions. Seriously, you cannot in any way convince me that these screens are BETTER than having a physical set, an iconic reveal and animatronics. Don't try to even go there.

I get that there are going to be Universal apologists. But this is just not acceptable in any way, IMO. It's a shame they are probably going to ruin all the other Jurassic Park rides in the process.

And seriously if one more person says "Oh, the screens are better because you can't see the parking lot anymore", I honestly will hop on a plane and punch the living shit out of that person. Because that is the STUPIDEST FUCKING excuse for apologizing why a bunch of TV screens replaced something that was actually impressive.
Last edited by robbalvey on Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:46 am.

Does Jeff Johnson count this donkey as a credit?

Postby BintamiM » Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:05 pm

Just saw the pov... God I hope that is not coming to orlando. The screens are so... meh. They do nothing. The indoor sections feels better but not by much but given the space limitation i wasn't expecting much. I just feel there is not a lot of story going o. It feels like they just meshed elements from jurrasic park and world into one big blob.
Hope they don't add screens in Orlando.... but knowing universal I am pretty sure they will

Counts I305 as 32 credits...

Postby A.J. » Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:07 am

Jew wrote:I guess I'm more open minded about screens on rides with how fast media technology has evolved. Loved Flight of the Passage and I thought this got the job done as a faux aquarium featuring a giant swimming dino.

Seriously though, the film industry is now relying pretty much entirely on computer graphics for their creatures (like the mosasaurus, which is supposed to be 56 feet long). CG often becomes the way to represent those creatures at their intended scale for a ride, especially when you can represent things like forced perspective using CG without having to construct a physical set.

There's also the difference between having an overlay budget (Jurassic World (I'm assuming), Guardians of the Galaxy Mission Breakout, etc) and a moneybags new attraction budget (Pandora, Hagrid's Motorbike Adventure, etc).

That the mosasaurus aquarium scene replaced the original gate scene, I'm still not sure which side to take, and I don't think I'll take one until I've ridden it for myself. I've never been into Jurassic Park to begin with so even Orlando's ride is neither here nor there for me.
Data entry nut for the official TPR coaster poll! https://coasterpoll.com/
Check out my theme park 3D visualization portfolio!
The opinions that I post on this forum do not necessarily represent those of the company I work for.

I know quite a lot about Donkeys!

Postby i305isdaddy » Sun Jul 07, 2019 2:28 pm

The old ending scene with the fog and the waterfall completely hiding the T-Rex was *terrifying* as a kid and that's why I remember the ride so fondly. It made me feel something. The flashing lights and alarms and giant surprise dinosaur all got burned into my memory.

This new version will never do that for anyone. The T-Rex isn't even close to the boat when it gets revealed.

She turned me into a donkey! I got better...

Postby lord denning » Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:47 am

Add me to the disappointed list.

The new Blue raptor upstairs is neat and i don't mind the i-rex additions but other than that is it is sad they removed so many of the elements that made the old ride great.

The gates
The first time you see the giant dinos (working or not)
The first theme you heart the Jurassic park theme with the gates
The fake track showing where the ride was going before 'something goes wrong'
the car drop
the broken boat with the mouse ear drop and the Dilophosaurus
the attack by the Dilophosaurus pre-lift
the first raptor on the lift
trex coming out of the waterfall
the last surprise attack by the Dilophosaurus before you get off

In theory adding a screen scene is not the end of the world but starting with that the screens and doing something that unimaginative was a mistake.

If they did screens (not TVs with Chris Pratt) - up the lift hill - that could have worked. Maybe set up the I-rex climbing up or Blue fighting it off to buy you time - getting you ready for the reveal up top. But the current redo is really a declining by degrees change. Turned an amazing ride into a good ride.
Using Tapatalk

Jason X versus the Robot Space Donkey!

Postby DBJ » Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:06 pm

I was able to check it this past Sunday, and in addition to the complaints above it now feels very constrained and claustrophobic. Gone is the vista of "Jurassic Park" of the lagoon, makes it seem smaller scale ironically for "Jurassic World" The scene with the I-rex cage is devoid of all action, we just float around and look at basically nothing. The only good improvement is the indoor section before the final drop, I did like design work in there.

The Dino Play area was improved, not by huge degrees, as was the Raptor encounter. The Nu bar and Cafe are a nice addition. But for the remodel of the actual ride, I think the aquarium section took away too much from the original story telling of the ride.

Macaroni and Donkey

Postby Evan-500 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:12 pm

I’m hearing many say the finale is in a b-mode of sorts, and more is coming. Ride has been closed all day today.

"It's not small, but it is very 'average.'"

Postby Jew » Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:41 pm

DBJ wrote:I was able to check it this past Sunday, and in addition to the complaints above it now feels very constrained and claustrophobic. Gone is the vista of "Jurassic Park" of the lagoon, makes it seem smaller scale ironically for "Jurassic World" The scene with the I-rex cage is devoid of all action, we just float around and look at basically nothing. The only good improvement is the indoor section before the final drop, I did like design work in there.

The Dino Play area was improved, not by huge degrees, as was the Raptor encounter. The Nu bar and Cafe are a nice addition. But for the remodel of the actual ride, I think the aquarium section took away too much from the original story telling of the ride.

I would say that Dino play and the raptor encounter were big upgrades. Dino play added a whole second level and more activities and they also added a baby raptor puppet+triceratops to the “encounters.” The triceratops (previously only seen at USJ) is really cool.
Last edited by Jew on Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:13 pm.

Delicious & Refreshing

Postby jedimaster1227 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:33 am

Universal Studios Hollywood has sent out a press release with new artwork for this year's Stranger Things house at Halloween Horror Nights.

Stranger Things maze key art - HHN 2019 (logo).jpg

On the heels of the highly-anticipated debut of “Stranger Things 3” on Netflix, Universal Studios Hollywood and Universal Orlando Resort have released new artwork for the all-new “Stranger Things” mazes coming to Halloween Horror Nights this fall. The artwork was designed exclusively by Kyle Lambert, who has previously illustrated art for Seasons 1-3 of the mega-hit Netflix Original series, and depicts the “Stranger Things” cast bravely facing a horrifying monster and ferocious Demodogs – a fate guests will soon experience themselves in the mazes at the nation’s premier Halloween events.

Inspired by seasons 2 and 3 of the critically-acclaimed series, this year’s chilling mazes will pick up where last year’s mazes left off, continuing the suspenseful storyline where a mysterious entity terrorizes the small town of Hawkins, Indiana, and delving even further into the parallel universe, referred to as the Upside Down. The mazes on both coasts will also parallel the hit show as it leaps forward to 1985, taking guests on a terrifying excursion through portions of “Stranger Things 3,” which is now streaming on Netflix.

“Halloween Horror Nights” begins Friday, September 6 in Orlando and Friday, September 13 in Hollywood. Additional details about the events will be revealed soon. For more information about “Halloween Horror Nights” at Universal Studios Hollywood and Universal Orlando Resort, visit http://www.HalloweenHorrorNights.com.
Change the scheme, Alter the mood! Electrify the boys and girls if you would be so kind!

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!