Universal Studios Hollywood (USH) Discussion Thread

P. 282: HHN Photo Trip Report!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 2 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Site Admin

Re: Universal Studios Hollywood (USH) Discussion Thread

Postby robbalvey » Fri Jul 05, 2019 3:19 pm

Arthur_Seaton wrote:
bostonlva wrote:universal has a weird Fetish for putting screens on everything.

Well, I that's possibly because their whole business is about putting things on screens. As silly as it sounds, that might factor into the logic of why so many of their attractions are overrun by screens

See, it's funny that you say that. When Universal started getting more serious in the theme park business, their slogan was "Ride The Movies"....
Screen Shot 2019-07-05 at 6.08.16 PM.png

And while not all of their attractions were physical rides (Back to the Future, for example) they really did sell guests on "being put in the middle of movie scene" for example, Jaws, E.T., Kong, Earthquake, etc. And those were all supposed to be these "movies come to life" ...
Screen Shot 2019-07-05 at 6.11.58 PM.png

"It's the only place where everything that happens in the movies, happens to you." The prided themselves on those physical rides. Universal Studios was not a "passive" experience. It was "active" and you were put right in the middle of that action.

The original Jurassic Park attraction fell right into the philosophy as it opened not that much longer after Universal Studios Orlando opened, and Universal in general was upping their game for creating real physical attractions.

And then sometime after Men In Black and Mummy that all kind of changed. Not sure why. Expense maybe? And we started seeing tons of these screen-based "immersion" rides pop up. When it was something really innovative like Spider-Man, it was amazing (pun intended), but then when it just started becoming a copy/paste with different themes, it became "old and stupid." (Anyone remember that Universal throwback?) lol

I've been more hopeful that we would start to see more attractions from Universal that were more like the original Jurassic Park, Men in Black or Mummy... and while Hagrid's is most certainly a much needed welcome over all the more recent screen rides, it didn't come close, in terms of story, as some of the other past attractions, like Mummy.

I would love nothing more to see Universal go back to their "Ride the Movies" philosophy because IMO that's when they were at their best. That was the era where they were making rides that made you seriously question who was better at themed attractions.... Disney or Universal? And now? The answer is pretty obvious...
Last edited by robbalvey on Fri Jul 05, 2019 3:21 pm.

Yummy! I just ate donkey!

Postby djrappa » Fri Jul 05, 2019 4:32 pm

It’s a bit of a giveaway how iconic both the score and the doors were as a reveal in that they kept BOTH in the JW film...bit of a no brained that they should have stayed in the ride redo.
If you wanted to do screens, why not do that in the boring AF lift section?

Bit of a concern when Knott’s log flume redo turns out a million times better than this Universal one.

It’s certainly up there in the redo for redos sake stakes with Guardians at DCA.
Cheers
Clint Dulieu

Lighting hack from Downunder

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby SixFlagsAstroworld » Fri Jul 05, 2019 5:08 pm

In my opinion, the redo is disappointing, but the animatronics that were reused are definitely in better condition. THe dilophosauruses that were moved inside move faster than before.
Coaster Count: 108
Check out my latest project: Six Flags Cypress Adventures
HARD ROCK PARK Coming to Chaos Crafter 2019!!

"It's not small, but it is very 'average.'"

Postby Jew » Fri Jul 05, 2019 5:11 pm

robbalvey wrote:
Jew wrote:I don't think the videos do the ride justice (the media looks fine IMO)

The media looks fine. It just shouldn't be there and it's not needed. And while I know you can never quite judge a ride by a video, I can 100% guarantee, based on all those screen rides I've been on all over the world, my reaction from actually riding it wouldn't be any different from watching that video...

I guess I'm more open minded about screens on rides with how fast media technology has evolved. Loved Flight of the Passage and I thought this got the job done as a faux aquarium featuring a giant swimming dino.

I think the problem here is with how it doesn't have the same emotional impact as the previous one---no question it doesn't match the previous epic reveal and the audio doesn't do much to set it up. There's no explanation that I can remember hearing for why the aquarium is connected to the herbivore area by a cave either (logic would say another door should be there...), so the storytelling falls way short.

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Fri Jul 05, 2019 5:15 pm

Jew wrote:I guess I'm more open minded about screens on rides with how fast media technology has evolved.

Who pays the bills again? ;)

"It's not small, but it is very 'average.'"

Postby Jew » Fri Jul 05, 2019 5:27 pm

robbalvey wrote:
Jew wrote:I guess I'm more open minded about screens on rides with how fast media technology has evolved.

Who pays the bills again? ;)

I have no problem admitting that Universal's previous screen efforts were pretty bad. If you are going to use a screen, it should at least be done in a way that is passable like this and doesn't require 3D glasses. A whole ride based on that though? That wouldn't fly at all. I don't mind it as one piece of an attraction.

The screens we should be talking about are the ones used after Parasaurus all the way up to the top of the lift. Those are bad when spaced between everything else.
Last edited by Jew on Fri Jul 05, 2019 5:43 pm.

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Fri Jul 05, 2019 5:54 pm

Jew wrote:The screens we should be talking about are the ones used after Parasaurus all the way up to the top of the lift. Those are bad when spaced between everything else.

Those fall under the "that whole section is a complete mess" category! :lol: :lmao:

Macaroni and Donkey

Postby ryder » Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:51 pm

I’ve actually been on the ride, and the screens are super impressive in person. And I say this as someone who is on the “universal has too many screens and I’m sick of screens” bandwagon. But the size, clarity, and synchronization of these screens in person are pretty incredible. It just doesn’t come across on a video.

As for the old opening, it was impressive at one time, but let’s not ignore the facts that the parking structure was clearly visible, the animitronics never really worked very well (always seemed like that first dino had a broken neck), and the doors rarely worked well—if at all. Even if it did work, the sound was nearly always out of sync.

My biggest issue is the entire middle section is basically a total void. However, word is being spread that there’s still more to come both there and in the ending. So this may not be the fully finished version. After, this is still a technical rehearsal, not the grand opening.

A zonkey is a cross between a zebra and a donkey.

Postby Arthur_Seaton » Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:36 pm

ryder wrote:My biggest issue is the entire middle section is basically a total void. However, word is being spread that there’s still more to come both there and in the ending. So this may not be the fully finished version. After, this is still a technical rehearsal, not the grand opening.

I'm not too up on the films or the narrative, but it seems like this is a dino vs dino battle of some kind? It might have been cool to have a couple of "losing" dinos where the old car-fall scene was — maybe the carcass of that shark from the aquarium scene suddenly surfaces or, better yet, a dino carcass falls from above and lands next to the boat as it passes (followed by a victory snarl). That'd make it a different kind of "dead zone" at least!

What's with the donkeys anyway?

Postby aueft » Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:49 pm

Going off of the early videos, I think that I may have been overly, cautiously optimistic.

I'm glad that they added some new animatronics to the last third of the attraction, but they totally screwed up the pacing of the rest of the ride. The opening underwater screen tunnel goes on for way too long for what it is, and it isn't nearly as good as the dramatic intro that it replaced. The containment scene into the lift also goes on for way longer than it should given that it looks like most of the cool effects and dinos were removed.

They clearly spent money on the overlay to make all of these changes... so I guess I can't fault them for trying.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!