Universal Studios Hollywood (USH) Discussion Thread

P. 282: HHN Photo Trip Report!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 3 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Can you see the donkey in my toast?

Re: Universal Studios Hollywood (USH) Discussion Thread

Postby Garet » Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:59 am

I only have the Japan version to go off of, but it wasn't just the reveal, it was the mini build-up, with the opening notes of the score as you approached the door with the timing of the score kicking into full gear just as the door flings open, you go from a small channel to that large area and you see your first dinosaur.

Here it just feels anti-climatic, I've seen the new movies but none of that music sticks out so not sure what the music is at the tank, and unless I missed it earlier in these new POV's you get some of the original theme in the middle of the ride after the CG dinosaur which just feels random and less impactful. I dunno maybe I'm being picky but that small tank doesn't give me the sense I'm entering Jurassic park like the original large area does.

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:17 am

Garet wrote:it wasn't just the reveal, it was the mini build-up, with the opening notes of the score as you approached the door with the timing of the score kicking into full gear just as the door flings open, you go from a small channel to that large area and you see your first dinosaur.

Yep. I mean, that "Welcome to Jurassic Park" moment has been ranked in the "Top 100 Movie Moments of All-Time" by many different outlets...
Screen Shot 2019-07-05 at 12.11.08 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-07-05 at 12.13.20 PM.png

I just cannot even comprehend why Universal would want to change that. It should be an attractions designers #1 rule that you never EVER replace a real physical set that includes an iconic grand reveal and "larger than life" animatronics...

with TV screens and water sprays.

Shame on Universal...
Last edited by robbalvey on Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:27 am.

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:36 am

I'll be disappointed if the giant dino head doesn't really say "Hi."

Can you see the donkey in my toast?

Postby Garet » Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:42 am

cfc wrote:I'll be disappointed if the giant dino head doesn't really say "Hi."

Delicious & Refreshing

Postby jedimaster1227 » Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:53 am

^ :nina:
Change the scheme, Alter the mood! Electrify the boys and girls if you would be so kind!

"It's not small, but it is very 'average.'"

Postby Jew » Fri Jul 05, 2019 2:37 pm

I don't think the videos do the ride justice (the media looks fine IMO), but I also agree with Robb that the old ride established itself WAY WAY WAY better. The gates opening into Ultrasaur lagoon set the tone of "hey, I'm really in Jurassic Park!" The new audio doesn't do anything to make it dramatic you're entering the aquarium to start your tour of JW, so it's not really an entry statement at all.

The show building scene is MUCH improved IMO. The dinos that returned (stegasaurus, Parasaurus) look brand new and have more movement. The biggest problem that really kills any positive momentum is that nothing really happens between Parasaurus and the top of the lift.

When I grow up, I want to breed donkeys!

Universal Studios Hollywood (USH) Discussion Thread

Postby bostonlva » Fri Jul 05, 2019 2:50 pm

Why do I have a feeling they even if King Kong never burned down, they would have torn it down anyway to build what we have now (given it opened when the remade movies came out)

universal has a weird Fetish for putting screens on everything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know quite a lot about Donkeys!

Postby i305isdaddy » Fri Jul 05, 2019 2:55 pm

I've been shaken by this new pov all day. It's just *SO* aggressively bad.... who let this happen... ?!

A zonkey is a cross between a zebra and a donkey.

Postby Arthur_Seaton » Fri Jul 05, 2019 3:01 pm

bostonlva wrote:universal has a weird Fetish for putting screens on everything.

Well, I suppose that's possibly because their whole business is about putting things on screens. As silly as it sounds, that might factor into the logic of why so many of their attractions are overrun by screens. I'm not sure what to make of their obsession with squirting guests with water, though.
Last edited by Arthur_Seaton on Fri Jul 05, 2019 3:09 pm.

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Fri Jul 05, 2019 3:05 pm

Jew wrote:I don't think the videos do the ride justice (the media looks fine IMO)

The media looks fine. It just shouldn't be there and it's not needed. And while I know you can never quite judge a ride by a video, I can 100% guarantee, based on all those screen rides I've been on all over the world, my reaction from actually riding it wouldn't be any different from watching that video...

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!