Universal Studios Hollywood (USH) Discussion Thread

P. 281: Rob Zombie's House of 1000 Corpses maze announced!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 4 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Site Admin

Re: Universal Studios Hollywood (USH) Discussion Thread

Postby robbalvey » Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:17 pm

Sooo... The Jurassic World re-do replaced the old JP "big reveal" door opening scene with TV screens & water sprays? I mean, that was a pretty iconic, "grand" moment of the previous ride. Did we really need to replace some decent animatronics & physical sets with more screens?

I just don't understand. That "reveal" was probably one of the most iconic movie > attraction moments of any ride Universal had ever created. Why did they think that replacing it with an indoor section full of TV screens was a good idea?

Seriously, how did we go from this...
jp2.jpg

to this...
Screen Shot 2019-07-05 at 12.24.35 AM.png

That's just embarrassing.
Last edited by robbalvey on Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:25 pm.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby bert425 » Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:50 pm

wow.. that really is underwhelming.

why in the world would they have gotten rid of the practical (and yes, Iconic) "Welcome to Jurassic Park" doors??

and in watching some video from the ride, I can see the impact of the video screens, and while i guess technically you still go thru "doors". . . it really does feel like it's missing the huge impact you used to get from the start of the old ride :(
Image[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/19fc64eae2ec826e3a662d1ff9f29ab9.jpg[/img][/url]

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:09 pm

bert425 wrote:and in watching some video from the ride, I can see the impact of the video screens, and while i guess technically you still go thru "doors". . . it really does feel like it's missing the huge impact you used to get from the start of the old ride :(

Absoultely the "soul" of the ride is gone. I honestly just do not understand how this got approved or how anyone thought this was a good idea.

A zonkey is a cross between a zebra and a donkey.

Postby Arthur_Seaton » Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:58 pm

Yikes, they really did a number on it. It looks like they also took the pre-lift scenes out and replaced them with . . . nothing? What a shame. They could have at least stuck a looping video of the old falling car prop as a kind of reminder of what the ride once was.

Macaroni and Donkey

Postby Evan-500 » Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:18 pm

I think it looks really awesome. And the new indoor tank section actually works well. Finally fixed those terrible sight lines. And wow. The main indoor portion is incredible.

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:22 pm

Evan-500 wrote:I think it looks really awesome. And the new indoor tank section actually works well. Finally fixed those terrible sight lines. And wow. The main indoor portion is incredible.

Did we watch the same video!??!? The indoor tank section is like a lesser immersive version than Orlando's Kong or Supercharged and those rides are already underwhelming. And the main indoor section was just a mess. No real story or anything and just random stuff everywhere with a bad looking new dinosaur animatronic at the end.

I would honestly question anyone's "opinion" who would rather have a bunch of TV screens and water sprays than a practical set with real animatronics.

"Awesome" or "incredible" are absoultely not words I would imagine many people using to describe this re-do....
Last edited by robbalvey on Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:29 pm.

A zonkey is a cross between a zebra and a donkey.

Postby Arthur_Seaton » Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:27 pm

Evan-500 wrote:The main indoor portion is incredible.
The part before the final drop? It looks like they added a couple of new dinosaurs in there. There's one that I recognize from the last version — the one with a hosepipe in it. Squirtysaurus.

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:35 pm

Arthur_Seaton wrote:
Evan-500 wrote:The main indoor portion is incredible.
The part before the final drop? It looks like they added a couple of new dinosaurs in there.

They for sure added this one that pokes his head out at you...
Screen Shot 2019-07-04 at 11.34.30 PM.jpg

But let's be honest, he looks like he was picked up on the cheap at one of those Chinese dinosaur animatronic companies I keep getting spam emails from! :lol: :lmao:

Screen Shot 2019-07-05 at 2.34.37 AM.png
Last edited by robbalvey on Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:35 pm.

Does Jeff Johnson count this donkey as a credit?

Postby carowindsman » Fri Jul 05, 2019 5:14 am

robbalvey wrote:Sooo... The Jurassic World re-do replaced the old JP "big reveal" door opening scene with TV screens & water sprays? I mean, that was a pretty iconic, "grand" moment of the previous ride. Did we really need to replace some decent animatronics & physical sets with more screens?

I just don't understand. That "reveal" was probably one of the most iconic movie > attraction moments of any ride Universal had ever created. Why did they think that replacing it with an indoor section full of TV screens was a good idea?

Seriously, how did we go from this...
jp2.jpg

to this...
Screen Shot 2019-07-05 at 12.24.35 AM.png

That's just embarrassing.

You said it best. "That's just embarrassing"

Macaroni and Donkey

Postby Evan-500 » Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:25 am

robbalvey wrote:
Evan-500 wrote:I think it looks really awesome. And the new indoor tank section actually works well. Finally fixed those terrible sight lines. And wow. The main indoor portion is incredible.

Did we watch the same video!??!? The indoor tank section is like a lesser immersive version than Orlando's Kong or Supercharged and those rides are already underwhelming. And the main indoor section was just a mess. No real story or anything and just random stuff everywhere with a bad looking new dinosaur animatronic at the end.

I would honestly question anyone's "opinion" who would rather have a bunch of TV screens and water sprays than a practical set with real animatronics.

"Awesome" or "incredible" are absoultely not words I would imagine many people using to describe this re-do....

I’m sorry. I think it looks great. This is probably the first time I’ve been on the opposite end of the opinion spectrum from you haha. But that’s okay. I totally see your side of it.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!