Universal Studios Hollywood (USH) Discussion Thread

P. 269: EVE event details & ultimate EVE package announced!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
“Fear can make a donkey attack a lion”

Re: Universal Studios Hollywood (USH) Discussion Thread

Postby edgeboy » Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:24 am

Been on it many times. Keep your expectations low... at the end of the day, it is another screen attraction. However, I do feel they did the best job they possibly could for a screen-based attraction.

Pros: The building is beautiful, the interior is beautiful, the pre-show is actually one of their better ones (and it's also relatively short), and entering the "spirit world" half way through is honestly quite amazing. And if you didn't know, it's not 3D, which is honestly pretty great. Some of the new chair movements are pretty cool... the gentle rocking of the boat, and vibrations are fun. It's shorter, but that also works to its advantage, being screen based.

Cons: the extended queue in the back is pretty dull, the water effects are hit and miss (on some showings I got pretty well misted, but in most shows recently, I haven't felt at water effects at all), and some of the chair motions are a bit jarring.

But it is certainly much, much better than Shrek ever was. And the potential for getting other movies in there in the future keep this space filled with possibilities.

I know quite a lot about Donkeys!

Postby AdventuresinAirtime » Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:24 pm

Shut It Down wrote:Out of curiosity has anyone experienced the new DreamWorks theater attraction? From what I was reading it sounded pretty cool.

I rode it at soft opening a couple of weeks ago or so.

Pretty cool, no 3D glasses and the show really "surrounds you" which is pretty awesome.
Adventures in Airtime Theme Park Podcast:
www.adventuresinairtime.com

Adventures in Airtime on YouTube:

Open Up Happiness

Postby jedimaster1227 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:39 am

Behind every tradition lies a revolution. This year, “Halloween Horror Nights” at Universal Studios Hollywood bears witness to “The First Purge” with an all-new maze based on Universal Pictures’ all-new thriller that unleashed the country’s inaugural government-sanctioned lawlessness, making all crime legal once a year for 12 hours.

“Halloween Horror Nights” begins on Friday, September 14, 2018.

The First Purge is now in theatres.

Murder, mayhem and pandemonium are alive and well every year as the annual Purge grips the country, suspending all police, fire and emergency services for 12 consecutive hours as law abiding citizens are transformed into anarchists. Inspired by The First Purge—the movement that began as a simple experiment, this terrifying new “Halloween Horror Nights” maze aligns with the film in establishing the motives that launched the country into chaos.

“The First Purge” maze will reimagine the movie’s premise, greeting guests with pure unadulterated fear as it brings to life the turmoil spawned by vigilantes. It will place guests at the heart of a controversial sociological experiment empowered by the New Founding Fathers of America’s (NFFA) desire to purge the nation of all hatred and crime by, ironically, permitting crime to take place as a means of ridding society of all ills.

Guests will be at the mercy of luck and speed as they attempt to outsmart and outlive the anarchy.

"Halloween Horror Nights" at Universal Studios Hollywood brings together the sickest minds in horror to immerse guests in a living, breathing, three-dimensional world of terror. Featuring an all-new slate of unrivaled film production quality mazes, frightful scare zones and a fully re-imagined “Terror Tram” experience uniquely themed to today’s most definitive horror properties, “Halloween Horror Nights” will taunt, terrorize and torment guests with spine-chilling haunted attractions as part of Southern California’s most extreme Halloween experience.

Updates on “Halloween Horror Nights” at Universal Studios Hollywood are available online at HalloweenHorrorNights.com/Hollywood and on Facebook at “Halloween Horror Nights – Hollywood,” Instagram, Snapchat and Twitter at @HorrorNights as Creative Director John Murdy reveals a running chronicle of exclusive information. Watch videos on Halloween Horror Nights YouTube and join the conversation using #UniversalHHN.

“The Purge” TV series based on the wildly popular franchise will debut on USA Network on September 4, 2018.
purge.png
First-Purge-HHN-poster-700x875.jpg
Change the scheme, Alter the mood! Electrify the boys and girls if you would be so kind!

A donkey is a domesticated member of the Equidae or horse family.

Postby DBJ » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:23 am

Honestly, the purge does nothing for me visually when it comes to HHN. It just slightly modified street clothes in the end.

the ghost seems to think there is a "Donkey Fairy"

Postby Arthur_Seaton » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:43 am

DBJ wrote:Honestly, the purge does nothing for me visually when it comes to HHN. It just slightly modified street clothes in the end.

It seems like an easy theme for them to repeat every year, though. I still haven't seen a single Purge movie, but I feel like I understand the concept just from seeing it at HHN each year — regular civilians in rubber masks yelling "boo" over and over. It's almost as if the entire franchise was cooked up by bean counters.

A donkey is a domesticated member of the Equidae or horse family.

Postby DBJ » Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:08 am

One of the themes of the franchise is class warfare. The rich "purge" out the lower classes. So I guess that is the Gate A and VIP guests vs. the guests standing in the huge lines?

"It's not small, but it is very 'average.'"

Postby Jew » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:33 pm

Arthur_Seaton wrote:
DBJ wrote:Honestly, the purge does nothing for me visually when it comes to HHN. It just slightly modified street clothes in the end.

It seems like an easy theme for them to repeat every year, though. I still haven't seen a single Purge movie, but I feel like I understand the concept just from seeing it at HHN each year — regular civilians in rubber masks yelling "boo" over and over. It's almost as if the entire franchise was cooked up by bean counters.

Blumhouse specializes in low budget horror/thrillers that either bomb or make a ton of money.

They are responsible for Paranormal Activity, The Purge, Insidious, and most recently had hits w/ Split & Get Out. But they also had a ton of movies that you never heard of and movies that bombed (Jem & the Holograms...)

Open Up Happiness

Postby jedimaster1227 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:17 pm

For what it is worth, I genuinely believe that is why The Purge (as the basis of scare zones and the Terror Tram) has been so effective for Halloween Horror Nights in the past. Those participating in The Purge blend in with the park guests, as do the "victims," meaning that these spontaneous scares can be done both to the guest and by picking off planted "guests" in the crowd to up the feeling that no one is safe in an environment where you would otherwise know or have to remind yourself that you are safe.

Howl-O-Scream did something similar a few years ago in Tampa where a werewolf-themed scare zone saw hulking beasts run across the plaza, picking off planted "guests" and carrying them off at a running pace into the fog before you could realize what happened. This was one of the most effective and memorable things I've seen done at a horror event and I love that with The Purge, Universal has the ability to pull off these same kind of scares.
Last edited by jedimaster1227 on Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:18 pm.
Change the scheme, Alter the mood! Electrify the boys and girls if you would be so kind!

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby chad » Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:42 pm

Hey guys, does anyone know how much is the discount if you have an annual pass for HHN? If the discount is enough, then I'll just go ahead and get it. Thinking about getting the gold pass haha

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby Mrkingcoaster » Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:48 am

Hey so demolition began of the globe theatre...it’s completley gone. I sure hope there is a worthwhile attraction in its place.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!