Universal Studios Hollywood (USH) Discussion Thread

P. 282: HHN Photo Trip Report!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 7 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Re: Universal Studios Hollywood (USH) Discussion Thread

Postby cfc » Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:08 am

Wes wrote:
robbalvey wrote:Heard from a very reliable source that the cast and crew of the show were paid in full until the remainder of the event.

That's good.

I was wondering that myself. I'm glad that the cast and crew are getting paid, as none of this mess is their fault.

A zonkey is a cross between a zebra and a donkey.

Postby GrapesLie » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:06 am

Haven't seen it so I can't comment on the show, but I have always loved Bill & Ted. (We all know they were gay for each other from the beginning anyway.) Now David perhaps you misunderstood what was happening in the video. I don't know. But I do know that I am very sorry for what happened. Nobody should have to deal with what you went through. I'm gay and I was beaten in a church because they thought they were casting the gay demon out of me. Broke 3 ribs and gave me permanent issues with my left hip. I still struggle to forgive them.

It's important to remember that people don't just get over a traumatic event. (Tell a girl who was raped to grow some balls and see how that goes.) I was beat up and I still deal with it. That said I'm not easily offended. I agree for ones own happiness we should not be easily offended. But fact is Gay people are just now starting to really get our deserved rights. Honestly there is going to be a time of OVER correction, and then a settling. Look at the past and you'll see what I'm saying. Fact is gay stereotypes are and will always be offensive to some. We are still trying to figure out where that LINE is. Do we need to lighten up some. Hell's YES! Give it time and we will. ;)

Now was the answer to up and cancel the show. Probably not. But a rewrite? From a business standpoint most likely yes. People are touchy with gay stereotypes and do you know why? Because we have had so many, and I mean SO MANY negative images of ourselves in the media. Negative images without the positive ones to balance it out. Were tired of it and because of that there can and will be knee jerk reactions. Were just now getting acceptance and we don't want to lose it. Its like a dog. Hit it enough eventually it will bite.

Now I am not claiming that the show was homophobic. In fact I'm sure it was funny. But don't be surprised people are touchy. Now as for me, well you can say whatever you want I don't care. LoL I make offensive gay jokes all the time. It's a way of saying this doesn't have power over me. But I believe real homophobia is when a person actually hates a gay person or is scared of them. Not because they tell a stupid joke or have a uneducated belief. Actually to all you other gays out there it's kind of up to us. We have to be the example. We have to take the high road. Sometimes that means not being easily offended. And seriously thank you to all the straight people who are supportive and open minded. You're beyond important and a huge part of what makes change! It's because of you guys and gals that the world is changing.

Sorry if I got preachy. My dad's a pastor so it's in my blood! ;)

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:32 am

Rollercoaster Rider wrote:I've never seen the show... <snip>

Then your opinion shouldn't even be considered as anything close to legit. Seriously, why did you even respond?

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Philrad71 » Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:42 am

Wow...just getting caught up on this thread. Definitely a lot of emotions on this one!

I know many of you could probably care less about my opinion, but I'm going to give it anyway...

I think that the show would be a real hoot to see because I don't tend to get offended easily, but I could see where it might offend the thin-skinned (seemingly 90% of today's US society) or someone that may have been through a very traumatic ordeal where a sore subject may be sparked by just one scene or instance in a show - even if projected in a relatively light, campy sort of way.

I have to agree with Moose in that I think that some of these pro-gay groups might be going the way of PETA with some of their recent "extremely offended" stances they are taking on what is simple skit humor or going crazy over something that just doesn't seem that offensive to most people.

I have to wonder if the reaction would have been the same if the show was airing at a gay friendly venue at say P-Town or Key West? I have seen a few gay themed shows in P-Town and Ogunquit where the characters play what is many times a "stereo-typical gay" and the mostly gay audience just delights in it and will be bowling over in laughter. But if you take away the predominantly gay audience away and throw in a ton of straight people laughing at the same gay character, all of a sudden it becomes offensive? Are gays the only one's allowed to laugh at a skit aimed at fem gay man or butch lesbians? I certainly don't think so.

Yes, there would be some homophobes that would laugh at it in a negative light, but I give Universal the props for just having the balls to introduce a gay character or two into one of their live Halloween shows. Perhaps they thought it might be the liberal thing to do, but unfortunately that risk blew up in their face thanks to our lovely media and thin-skinned society.

I say put the gays out there in any way shape or form and develop a comfort zone for those who may not know a gay person. Even though a lot of the gay community thinks that every straight person's persona of a gay is a swishy boy or woman with short hair wearing flannel, there are more and more of us that know that it doesn't exemplify the entire LGBT community. This is becoming more and more visible for the straight crowd and will become increasingly more evident in the future.

Personally, I hope that they don't cancel the show in Florida as I wouldn't mind seeing it someday. I was never overly impressed with Bill & Ted's movies, but this show does sound quite funny and entertaining.

Glad to hear the cast is still getting paid too.

"It's not small, but it is very 'average.'"

Postby Jew » Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:21 am

Ultimately the writers of the article got what they wanted (attention) and backed universal into a corner where they could do no right. Do nothing? They keep whining. Acknowledge them and stand up for the product? They keep whining. Re- write the show so late into the run? Destroy all the hard work so many people already put into the show. Cancel it? Get bad pr.

It was no win. At least by canceling it, it shows what damage people can do when they are irresponsible with their "voice." I'm glad the writers got criticism and universal got support.

Does Jeff Johnson count this donkey as a credit?

Postby sfmmfreak101 » Sat Oct 26, 2013 11:00 am

Robb was right, the outrage started with a Vice article. Here is update from the author of the original article after the show was cancelled:

http://www.vice.com/en_uk/read/universal-studios-canceled-their-homophobicracistterrible-bill-and-ted-show

Am I allowed to eat donkey during lent?

Postby PeoplemoverMatt » Sat Oct 26, 2013 2:27 pm

sfmmfreak101 wrote:Robb was right, the outrage started with a Vice article. Here is update from the author of the original article after the show was cancelled:

http://www.vice.com/en_uk/read/universal-studios-canceled-their-homophobicracistterrible-bill-and-ted-show

Yeah, I'm not buying this. The author got the result that was desired and now wants everyone to think it's all Universal's "massive overreaction" that got the show cancelled. That only tells me the author has learned exactly zero lessons about being "irresponsible" with your voice, and does not believe at all that any mistake was made on the author's part. It's pretty clear when the author dismissed any reaction that called the article PC or overly sensitive, or claimed that the gay Superman character was satire as "idiots," there's an enormous amount of satisfaction being felt over the show's cancellation. By that logic, anyone who has actually watched the show (unlike the author) and knows B&T is a comedy show and nothing in it is a realistic portrayal of anything are "idiots".

As much as we'd all like to think the author was irresponsible here, it's clear the author feels the exact opposite, and would have no qualms about writing a similar article anytime anything else similarly perceived as "homophobic, racist, terrible" the author runs across. Author will just dismiss any criticism as from "idiots" again like was done with this one. I know Universal was in a tough place, but I wish they hadn't chosen to empower terrible people, like this author, who go around LOOKING for things to be offended by, by choosing to cancel the B&T show.

Is Universal really to blame for the show's cancellation? No. The author is solely to blame, as is HuffPo and all the other media outlets who empowered the author by picking up the article and blindly running with it like they did. But again, the censorship/removal of content/outright cancellation was exactly what they all wanted. Everyone can be made fun of *except* them. Their sensitivities matter more than mine, yours, or anyone else's. Until someone does not cave to their wishes because they fear bad PR, it will only happen again and again. They need be told what everyone else gets told - it's a comedy show and comedians make fun of everybody.

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Sat Oct 26, 2013 4:00 pm

What's amazing is that people complained about Bill & Ted, yet Book of Mormon continues to play in multiple cities every night. I guarantee you there is FAR more offensive material in BOM than Bill & Ted!

Gimme Some Candy!

Postby coasterfreak101 » Sat Oct 26, 2013 4:11 pm

^I said the same thing to someone when the show first got cancelled - people pay more to get even more "offended" than anything Bill & Ted could ever come up with, and that show is still selling out!
1. Skyrush | 2. Maverick | 3. The Voyage | 4. El Toro | 5. Outlaw Run
6. Millennium Force | 7. I-305 | 8. Medusa: SC | 9. X2 | 10. Phoenix

Coasters: 290
Parks: 51

She turned me into a donkey! I got better...

Postby Aaronupsidasium » Sat Oct 26, 2013 11:39 pm

I don't understand how you can blame the writer of the Vice article for a lot of this. He wrote a review about how terrible the show was and then wrote another article after the cancellation about how he got hate mail and no response from Universal.

I saw the Vice article first on Facebook with friends (straight, gay, male, female) commenting about how terrible the show looked. I explained to them that I was going to the good Halloween Horror Nights in Orlando ;)

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!