TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

How much is to much? Coaster enthusiasts seeking records.

I was just reading a post on an unnamed coaster posting board, and someone was saying that they wanted to set a Guiness record for longest time on Son of Beast, though I've never ridden Son of Beast, and honestly don't ever want to go to PKI, it got me thinking about if I'd ever do a world record.

I personally can't even fathom the idea of riding Raven for such a long time, it just seems like even with extra padding that you could use the ride will still beat the bejeezus out of you, and from what I've heard SOB is a LOT worse.

Do you consider that overkill on coaster enthusiasm? or is it respectable to try to set a record by riding a coaster for a 100 days, or for 40 some days to win a Nissan? Personally the car and the title are not enough for me, I think it would be extremely unhealthy to ride any big, demanding coaster for an exteneded period of time (exhaustion kicks in eventually). I was just wondering what you all think about riding your favorite coaster for such a long period of time, basically straight through. Even better, has anyone ever participating in a coaster marathon for more than a day? If so what was it like.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've always wanted to somehow score a sponsored Marathon on Xcel... I could literaly sit on that for days, not a problem, never get sick or sick of it.

Anyone wanting to get some money raised for charity be sure to let me know!

I would do something like that for charity, or a cool prize like a car, but i deffinatly couldnt do it on my favorite coaster. The reason is because, quite frankly, i wouldnt want to get sick of my favorite coaster. I already know every twist and turn, but i dont want to get sick of it.

Cof course, if the prize was, say, 10 million dollars, i think i can handle the threat of losing interest in my fav coaster. hmmmmm 10 million dollars.....

Rob "So poor" D

My home park is Kennywood Park, and in 2003 on july 13th (my birthday/turned 17) I decided to see if i'd be allowed to ride the Phantom's Revenge for a few ride, just to see if I could withhold a few continuous rides on the lime green and black ghost. It wasn't for a world record or anything like that, but it was more of a challenge....So i've ridden it a consecutive 13 times (13's my lucky number) and decided that i was satisfied, it was fun, great, but i was super hungry and my bladder was throbbing from holding my bathroom request. All in all it was fun, but riding a coaster more that 25 times consecutive is a tad-bit to much for me.

And there's no such thing as overkilling a ride Imo, that's what they are here for, for us to ride and re-ride and re-ride, wether if it's a spreadout 5 times in one day or a consecutive 10 times in one day, lines are to long nowadays, so I try to ride my favorite coasters in whatever park I go to as much as I can.

Yeah I'm not really into marathoning any coaster. Even my two favorites (GeForce and Phoenix) I would take like 10 rides and be done. I get tired of a ride if I've ridden it too many times, no matter how good it is!

Elissa "very few coasters that I would marathon!" Alvey

With how big the record has become, I wouldn't really want to try and break it, but I don't necessarily think its overkill. It's whatever you crave or feel like. If you have it in you to ride a coaster nonstop for 4 months, go for it.

I agree with SuperCrack in that it might be fun to do one of the smaller marathons. However, I also agree with Elissa on this one. I like to reride coasters, but after a little while, I'm done.

I think it would end up being pretty hard on your body. I've done some long consecutive riding, like Rebel Yell at PKD 30 times in a row (without exiting) or Phoenix for about an hour without leaving my seat (really small ERT event with just enough people to fill two trains), and this was probably about all I could take. I think I'd get sore and get bored. Like Elissa said, even if it's my favorite coaster in the world, I think I'd just get tired of it after awhile...

Dave "Phoenix was fun for that hour" Thomas

My Uncle says (keyword says) that he was inline to have a Colosus @ SFMM world record setting marathon. Had it planned out, gotten permission from Guiness world records, every 6 hours 15 minute break for bathroom and getting food, etc. But then SFMM backed out.

I was just reading a post on an unnamed coaster posting board, and someone was saying that they wanted to set a Guiness record for longest time on Son of Beast, though I've never ridden Son of Beast, and honestly don't ever want to go to PKI, it got me thinking about if I'd ever do a world record.

I know this is irrelevant, but I was just curious why you don't ever want to go to PKI?

Scaparri:

It is very simple, I'm a coaster enthusaists but the whole "credit" thing does very little for me, so I only go to parks that I think will have a good ride. I was at PKI when I was like 10, didn't have that great a time and have come to the conclusion from several different things that going to PKI would be a waste of money there, mostly because there is no coaster there that I have ANY desire to ride, and yes this statement is taking in account for Beast and FoF. The only reason I might go is to ride Delirium and Drop Zone.

I would say I can marathon coasters for an hour or two, but then i would just get tired of it and want to ride something else. I could memorize the rotation of Xs trains if I marathoned it.

Kevin"So many coasters out of Southern Cal. I haven't ridden : Bujold