TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

MK Free Parking (WDW)

Actually the last 3 times Sea World was the first to raise their prices with universal next and Disney last

With the exception of once or twice, in history, Disney is ALWAYS the first one to price hike. SW is usually last. I can't remember the last time SW price hiked first. You may think they did it first because they waited so long to match the others. And WDW promptly raised their price even more. Neither Universal or SW has ever had prices above WDW, at least as far back as I can remember.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually the last 3 times Sea World was the first to raise their prices with universal next and Disney last

With the exception of once or twice, in history, Disney is ALWAYS the first one to price hike. SW is usually last. I can't remember the last time SW price hiked first. You may think they did it first because they waited so long to match the others. And WDW promptly raised their price even more. Neither Universal or SW has ever had prices above WDW, at least as far back as I can remember.

Trust me when I tell you that is incorrect. If you wish you can search the orlandosentinel archives for the information - Sea World was the first after 9/11 to raise prices and did so 2 other times as well. They had front page articles in the OS business section about it. Historically? Disney is usually the first - however that tide has changed recently.

In regards to your argument about inflation: the reality is, new attractions cost money -- and since the new attractions are paid with inflated money -- well you can see the problem.

Epcot alone in 23 years its been open has added hundreds of millions of dollars of attractions -- had the parks not changed at all your argument would hold more water.

Criticizing the company won't change it.

Jose

Yeah, well, criticizing parks is intrinsic to coaster sites, isn't it? If I had a penny for every times SF has been criticized...I could afford to go to WDW.

Epcot is actually an interesting example. Even granting that companies should pass through the cost of all improvements and investments rather than approaching them as part of the cost of doing (hopefully increased) business (in that case, you'd spend a LOT more to see Lord of the Rings than Sideways), there's a pretty big consensus out there that many of Epcot's changes didn't add much value to the parkgoing experience. I'm no great fan of TT, and though I really liked M:S, when I went, it was a total walk-on. And I doubt that many people would have celebrated paying jacked-up ticket prices for the abortive Imagination re-do, or the Ellenizing of Energy.

Sure, supply and demand is king. And this year, when the Bushized plummet of the dollar is drawing increased foreign visitors to the US and fewer Americans can afford to vacation abroad, I bet WDW sees a nice spike in attendance. It's just that when WDW is raising prices at 500% of inflation, I can't get too excercised if a couple of people sneak into the parking lot, even though it's "wrong."

O.k I found something better on ticket prices.

Take Typhoon Lagoon ticket price in 1991 around 18 bucks

Now its double that.

For more ticket price info: http://waltdatedworld.bravepages.com/id99.htm

Cool site. History of tickets.

Something more innovative will come out and undermine disney. $60 bucks for a day is a lot. Now, if you buy the 7 day ticket -- that boils down to half that.

Regardless -- enough people criticize the parks or park prices, something innovative will come out and outsell disney.

Just a matter of time.

Jose "will it be Dubailand?" Eber

I can tell you haven't been to WDW recently. In all seriousness though. Disney will always be the most popular theme park chain in the world, simply because of their brand name. But I wouldn't be too sure about them remaining the highest quality product.

only able to visit once year due to living in the UK and yes every now and then they do let themselves down a little. but generally I dont think anyone can honoustly knock their high standards of ride design and themeing... I think Mission Space and T.O.T says it all... Outstanding quality which cant be matched.. and getting back on topic... well worth the $8 parking fee :o