American Dream Discussion Thread

P. 22: April 2019 opening is announced
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Re: American Dream Discussion Thread

Postby Lemur » Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:18 am

Satans Hockey wrote:NJ transit runs it, from wherever you are coming from in NJ or NYC you have to get to Secaucus Junction and then transfer to the train that goes to the Meadowlands. So from NYC you would head to Penn Station and get on any NJ transit train heading to Secaucus junction and then transfer to the Meadowlands train.

It's really easy actually just going to be a pain during rush hour when people are running to catch their NJ transit trains out of Penn Station to get back home. It's about a 20-25 min trip train wise and that's including making the connection. I'm just really not sure how many tourists are going to make the journey over for this. It's also $11 bucks round trip right now for stadium events which will add up quickly if you have a family of 4 or more.

It's easy ... in theory. The practicality of it right now is terrible though. Rush hour trains are SRO and the daily commuters are jerks (I can say that categorically as I've been commuting on NJT for 18 years). Secaucus is about as friendly as a tomb and half of the escalators aren't working on any given day. They can't run on time to save their lives. And when they held the Super Bowl out at MetLife the Secaucus shuttle was a nightmare.

Also, if you're coming from Newark Airport, you actually need to take *3* trains to get there - the airport monorail from EWR to Newark Airport station, the NJT train from there going to Secaucus and then the Meadowlands train.

Donkeys are my way of life!

Postby ElvisLuv » Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:19 am

coasterbill wrote:I should probably know this since I live here but I don't believe there's a simple and direct train connection between our abortion of an airport in Newark (not to be confused with our abortion of an airport in Queens or our other abortion of an airport in Queens) and the meadowlands, right?

I know they're getting their projections from MOA, but I think a lot of the success of MOA (aside from it's established reputation) is based on the easy and fast rail connection from MSP that makes it an ideal way to kill time during a layover. Whether or not they get the traffic that they're anticipating from NYC is yet to be seen, but I feel like going after people with extended connections at EWR is really the path of least resistance since it's a great option for people who have too much time to spend at EWR but not enough time to head all the way into Manhattan.

Here's what I'm looking at. I'm not booking anything till 6 months out as availability usually opens up but if this place is looking to be open, this is an option for us regarding a long layover and EWR. Plenty of time to visit this place and hopefully get back to EWR
Screenshot_20180925-101152_United Airlines.jpg

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:44 pm

Thanks, Satans Hockey, that helps. This is a long term plan, as obviously this mall and Legoland have to be built first, but good to know it can be done without too much hassle. One transfer and 25 minutes is pretty good for transit.

Obsessive Overlord of the TPR Park Index

Postby larrygator » Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:23 pm

Lemur wrote:
Satans Hockey wrote:NJ transit runs it, from wherever you are coming from in NJ or NYC you have to get to Secaucus Junction and then transfer to the train that goes to the Meadowlands. So from NYC you would head to Penn Station and get on any NJ transit train heading to Secaucus junction and then transfer to the Meadowlands train.

It's really easy actually just going to be a pain during rush hour when people are running to catch their NJ transit trains out of Penn Station to get back home. It's about a 20-25 min trip train wise and that's including making the connection. I'm just really not sure how many tourists are going to make the journey over for this. It's also $11 bucks round trip right now for stadium events which will add up quickly if you have a family of 4 or more.

It's easy ... in theory. The practicality of it right now is terrible though. Rush hour trains are SRO and the daily commuters are jerks (I can say that categorically as I've been commuting on NJT for 18 years). Secaucus is about as friendly as a tomb and half of the escalators aren't working on any given day. They can't run on time to save their lives. And when they held the Super Bowl out at MetLife the Secaucus shuttle was a nightmare.

Also, if you're coming from Newark Airport, you actually need to take *3* trains to get there - the airport monorail from EWR to Newark Airport station, the NJT train from there going to Secaucus and then the Meadowlands train.

In 5 years legislation will be introduced to add a direct route from Newark Airport Station to Meadowlands. Then is will take 3 years to pass and 3 more years to secure funding and 5 more years to build. So we are looking at 16 more years before a train. About the same time we waited for the Mall. That is my prediction, solely based on circumstantial evidence in the form of history.
As usual, my analysis is free of charge!
Original enough to not steal someone else's quote as a signature

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby Lemur » Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:16 am

larrygator wrote:In 5 years legislation will be introduced to add a direct route from Newark Airport Station to Meadowlands. Then is will take 3 years to pass and 3 more years to secure funding and 5 more years to build. So we are looking at 16 more years before a train. About the same time we waited for the Mall. That is my prediction, solely based on circumstantial evidence in the form of history.

You forgot that just when they're ready to start running the light rail tracks, a new governor will come into office and cancel the funding.

Postby coasterbill » Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:21 pm

Martin & Vleminckx (the company installing the coasters at the mall) has posted a Facebook update with some images from inside the park.

Postby DoinItForTheFame » Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:47 pm

coasterbill wrote:Image

When I first glanced at this image I saw the orange crane bucket, and thought... "Holy crap, how do they already have a train on the track when the coaster isn't even complete?" - Then upon closer look, I realized I'm an idiot. :lol: Yeah, I need sleep!

Great to see the coasters coming along though! This will for sure be a fun place to visit once it opens! :br
Bigger is not always better.

Jar-Jar Binks smells like Donkey

Postby Genx24 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:50 pm

Wow, this is actually happening. The ride is shaping up to be a good one. I'm glad I'm eating crow about this project.
Total Coasters: 140

Open Up Happiness

Postby jedimaster1227 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:19 am

I'm excited to see what else they end up putting into the park! Nick Universe at the Mall of America has crammed in a lot and that has been over the course of many years... It'll be interesting to see what the developers do when designing a new park like this from scratch and how much space they'll leave for future additions.
Change the scheme, Alter the mood! Electrify the boys and girls if you would be so kind!

Obsessive Overlord of the TPR Park Index

Postby larrygator » Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:46 pm

jedimaster1227 wrote:I'm excited to see what else they end up putting into the park! Nick Universe at the Mall of America has crammed in a lot and that has been over the course of many years... It'll be interesting to see what the developers do when designing a new park like this from scratch and how much space they'll leave for future additions.

I really don't know how much free space there will be as rent is going to be exorbitant. I hopefully, but not expecting it.
As usual, my analysis is free of charge!
Original enough to not steal someone else's quote as a signature

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!