Is California's Great America worth the trip?

Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Ask us a question about trip planning, coaster videos, rodent encounters or donkeys!
Macaroni and Donkey

Is California's Great America worth the trip?

Postby AdventuresinAirtime » Sun May 06, 2018 9:20 am

Hi Robb

Going to California for the first time ever at the end of the month, visiting Disney/SFMM/Knotts/Sea World etc.
We're staying in Los Angeles - would you say I should drive up to CGA while i'm there? It's a 5 hour trip each way - but we've driven in the UK from Yorkshire to Thorpe Park which is around 4 hours.

RailBlazer and Gold Striker look good but i've never really heard anyone talk about the park before.
Is it worth a long drive to visit if i've never been before?
Adventures in Airtime Theme Park Podcast:
www.adventuresinairtime.com

Adventures in Airtime on YouTube:

Site Admin

Re: Is California's Great America worth the trip?

Postby robbalvey » Sun May 06, 2018 9:54 pm

I think if you're going to spend the time to go up to Northern California, you should also hit Discovery Kingdom and Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk. It's a long way to go for just one park.

Macaroni and Donkey

Postby AdventuresinAirtime » Mon May 07, 2018 5:47 am

Thanks Robb.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby coasterbill » Tue May 08, 2018 8:56 am

If you make the drive I highly recommend visiting San Francisco since you'll be less than an hour away from downtown. It's really one of the coolest cities in America. In my mind it would be a crime to drive all the way up to the Bay Area from LA to go to CGA, turn around and leave.

I'm a know-it-all about donkeys!

Postby clem2754 » Thu May 10, 2018 7:31 am

I think visiting San Francisco, SF Discovery Kingdom, and California Great America makes the drive worth it. Both parks are good parks and SF is worth the visit.

Macaroni and Donkey

Postby AdventuresinAirtime » Thu May 10, 2018 5:38 pm

The issue is we kinda planned it wrong, we have somewhere rented in Los Angeles so it would be pretty wasteful to stay somewhere in NorCal. Hmmmm

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Thu May 10, 2018 6:01 pm

AdventuresinAirtime wrote:The issue is we kinda planned it wrong, we have somewhere rented in Los Angeles so it would be pretty wasteful to stay somewhere in NorCal. Hmmmm

If that's the case, I'd say just skip it and do Northern California properly next trip.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby RAWKIN_coaster38 » Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:23 am

I also want to point out that the drive can take significantly longer than 5 hours. Google says it's a 5 hour drive, but I can't recall a time I was ever able to drive from the Bay Area to LA in that amount of time. There was always traffic either in the Bay or in LA or both. Do the math, it's almost impossible to find that perfect window during the day where you're not hitting rush hour somewhere. Granted, it depends on where you're leaving from. SFMM is on the northern end of the LA area, so it's possible to skip a lot of LA traffic if you're leaving from there.

Also, I highly recommend the other parks mentioned (especially SFDK). In fact, if you can only go to one Bay Area park, I'd definitely recommend SFDK or SCBB over CGA. Besides Railblazer (which isn't open to the public yet, so we shall see), I really don't think CGA is anything special. SFDK has a great B&M, most unique Impulse coaster, original Sky Rocket II, Joker RMC coaster, and the animals (dolphins!!). SCBB has been voted best seaside amusement park multiple times, and for good reason.

But really, it's completely up to you depending on your time and resources. Despite living in Northern California for most of my life, I never made the trip down to the SoCal parks and back in one or even two days. I pretty much devoted two whole days outside of my planned park days to just driving. Those are extra days you could be spending at Disney, the other parks, or just exploring LA. Bay Area is a whole different experience with a ton to offer that you could totally plan a different trip for.

Just things to consider.
“If toast always lands butter-side down, and cats always land on their feet, what happens if you strap toast on the back of a cat and drop it?”

Return to Ask Alvey