TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

universal studios orlando "size restriction"

chrisdbassplayer

Hey, I'm new to the boards I've been looking around the net trying to find any info I can on universal orlando theme park. Does anyone know or have any ideas of size: waist, chest, height restrictions. I'm wondering about the roller coasters and any other rides that might be restricitive to someone of size. The more I've been looking the more I dont understand why this basic data isn't available about seat restrictions on more theme park websites. It would kinda be nice to know before you go and spend 300$ to go to a park and cant fit in any of the rides. Thanks!

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All height restrictions (both minimum and maximum) are listed on the website. You can't really put a restriction on anything else because people's body types vary. For example, someone who is over 300 lbs and extremely tall may fit just fine where someone who weighs the same but is shorter, may not. Without knowing anything else about yourself, it really is impossible for us to tell you rather you will fit on all of the rides.

Have you had trouble fitting on rides at other parks? Are you extremely tall? More information is needed before you can get the advice you need.

Edited by ernierocker

honestly I havent been on a coaster in years my weight and waist size has been a problem for alot of coasters so I dont even try most. I have lost quite alot of weight but I'm still not sure I will fit. Im down to a 46 1/2 waist, 49 stomach, 47 chest now and plan to be around 260 when I go to universal. I have read some blogs about universal coasters but I was wondering if anyone on here had any first hand knowledge about dragon challenge and the hulk. Like if anyone has had any issues riding them or any larger people have been able to ride them without issue. I just dont want to get my hopes too high if I dont have a chance! I have been to universal 3 or 4 times and havent even had the guts to try so I hope this is my year!

I have heard that they have modified seating in the 3rd and 6th rows but I thought I would check with this forum because you guys are really into coasters. Thought you might have a more experienced group with these issues.

^You sound similar in size to me, in the 'borderline but will fit' category - and I've been OK on 99% of the coasters I've tried (exceptions being Superman at SFA and Wicked Twister at CP).

I haven't been to Universal Orlando but both of the coasters you've mentioned are B&Ms which have very similar seating on all of their rides. Based on my experience on other B&M coasters, in modified seating (look for the seats with two buckles) you will be fine, and in the regular seats you will probably be OK - ride op might have to give the OTSR a little shove but that's no biggie.

• 2 months later...

Chris - I feel your frustration. I understand that you can't determine if someone will fit based on their weight because it's more about your size/shape, but I wish parks would at least give us a clue about waist size, height, etc. Some parks give more info than others, some will list height, waist, even weight, and others just say "riders of "size"" or some other vague nonsense that nobody can guess at. You're right, it's absurd to expect people to spend a huge amount of money at a park and then not be able to ride anything! Of course, that may be what they're banking on; you'll come in and then leave frustrated, and for all they care, they still got your $$. I hope parks don't think that way, though.

it's absurd to expect people to spend a huge amount of money at a park and then not be able to ride anything! Of course, that may be what they're banking on; you'll come in and then leave frustrated, and for all they care, they still got your $$.

Or maybe if you're fat and have issues fitting on rides, you should just lose weight? A park shouldn't have to cater to fat people. Same way the airlines shouldn't either. if you have problems fitting in a seat that millions of other riders can fit in, that's NOT THE PARK'S FAULT!!! And parks already go OUT OF THEIR WAY ON SO MANY RIDES ALREADY to make "fat seats" for gigantic riders.

If this isn't enough, check out your local 24 Hour Fitness.

--Robb "It's absurd for fat people to complain about not fitting on a ride when they are the ones that are fat." Alvey

Edited by robbalvey

You're right, it's absurd to expect people to spend a huge amount of money at a park and then not be able to ride anything! Of course, that may be what they're banking on; you'll come in and then leave frustrated, and for all they care, they still got your $$.

Are you seriously suggesting that parks deliberately have tight restraints in order to rip off fat people? Most new B&Ms are fitted with bigger seats in at least one row, which seems to indicate the complete opposite to me. I've never been to a park where there weren't at least a couple of rides that would accommodate the average biggest loser contestant.

From a personal perspective, getting kicked off a ride for the first time was a good thing! It might have only been a kiddie coaster but the reality check inspired me to get serious about making some healthy lifestyle changes. So I absolutely don't agree that parks need to make special concessions to fat people, at any level.

it's absurd to expect people to spend a huge amount of money at a park and then not be able to ride anything! Of course, that may be what they're banking on; you'll come in and then leave frustrated, and for all they care, they still got your $$.

Or maybe if you're fat and have issues fitting on rides, you should just lose weight? A park shouldn't have to cater to fat people. Same way the airlines shouldn't either. if you have problems fitting in a seat that millions of other riders can fit in, that's NOT THE PARK'S FAULT!!! And parks already go OUT OF THEIR WAY ON SO MANY RIDES ALREADY to make "fat seats" for gigantic riders.

--Robb "It's absurd for fat people to complain about not fitting on a ride when they are the ones that are fat." Alvey

That's.... really, really rude...

My point wasn't that parks should "cater" to fat people, it's just asking that they have clearer information about size restrictions on their rides. That way, if someone knows beforehand that they're too big, they can save themselves the trouble of going OR make changes to lose weight first.

Dang... that's all I was saying... the whole fat-bashing rant was totally uncalled for.

You're right, it's absurd to expect people to spend a huge amount of money at a park and then not be able to ride anything! Of course, that may be what they're banking on; you'll come in and then leave frustrated, and for all they care, they still got your $$.

Are you seriously suggesting that parks deliberately have tight restraints in order to rip off fat people? Most new B&Ms are fitted with bigger seats in at least one row, which seems to indicate the complete opposite to me. I've never been to a park where there weren't at least a couple of rides that would accommodate the average biggest loser contestant.

From a personal perspective, getting kicked off a ride for the first time was a good thing! It might have only been a kiddie coaster but the reality check inspired me to get serious about making some healthy lifestyle changes. So I absolutely don't agree that parks need to make special concessions to fat people, at any level.

NO, I wasn't suggesting that parks were deliberately trying to rip people off at all. It was just a thought. After all, if you keep your size restriction information vague, you're more likely to get people coming in who just "want to see" if they can fit on rides. The more specific you are about who CAN'T fit, the more visitors you're likely to miss out on. I'm not saying that's how it IS... just that it's a thought that popped into my mind. I don't think parks should make special concessions, either (other than what I said above - being as specific as possible about the height/size/weight limits so people can make informed decisions and not waste time/money). Like you, my upcoming vacation and trip to a park has motivated me to make some major lifestyle changes, and I'm currently about 5 1/2 weeks into it, and I'm VERY glad I started it. It is a little nerve-wracking though, constantly wondering "will I be OK? will I still be too big?" It's a risk I'm willing to take, and that's on me, not on the park. Dollywood is one of the parks that has really good size/weight information on their site, which I greatly appreciate.

Well back on subject here, I am a pretty big guy myself I weigh about 350 and I have about a 44 inch waist and am about 6 ft tall, and universal is one of my favorite places to go. The only rides that I cannot ride are : Harry potter, dragon challenge/the hulk ( I can't fit on other b&m either so I already expect this) , Hollywood rip ride rock it, and I believe that's it. You should be fine on all of the simulator rides at universal and the only problem you might have is Harry potter at IoA but all I can tell you is just make sure you use the test seats, they are put there for a reason. They are there for you to use and not bitch at the employees when you wait in the line and then cannot ride. So yeah dude it's defiantly worth going. And I know that you don't want to go and "waste your money" but how are you ever going to find out. Hell I enjoy just walking around universal Orlando yeah check it out and you really should be fine on majority of the rides there if not all of them

Plus dude check out some of the great shows at universal/ IoA posidens fury, horror makup show, etc...

EDIT: well poop didn't see the post date :/

Dang... that's all I was saying... the whole fat-bashing rant was totally uncalled for.

Where did Robb bash fat people? He didn't say "get your flabby, smelly fat rolls on an elliptical and lose weight". That's fat bashing, not what Robb said. He simply implied that if you are afraid you are too fat to fit on a ride, it's up to you and not to park to do something about it.

Seriously, you complain about our Club TPR discounts, then complain about Robb's YouTube videos and in the process are extremely obnoxious to the owner of the site, all in a couple of days. Yeah, not a great first impression there.

Edited by ernierocker

That's.... really, really rude...

My point wasn't that parks should "cater" to fat people, it's just asking that they have clearer information about size restrictions on their rides. That way, if someone knows beforehand that they're too big, they can save themselves the trouble of going OR make changes to lose weight first.

If people do research they can find all of the information you are talking about on the websites for "most" major parks. Instead people like to have others do the work for them.

All anybody has to do is spend some time doing some research before you go to a park ... or anywhere else for that matter. I'm amazed at how many times I see people going to a park, the zoo, a museum, a concert, a sporting event, the airport, etc and don't know what's required in order for them to get inside or use whatever it is they want to use.

We've become lazy. Instead of learning how to parallel park ... buy a car that does it for you. Instead of actually looking at the blind spot before you get over ... buy a car that will beep when you try to get over. Instead of looking at the parks site ... I'll just post a thread on each random site and have people do the work for me. Instead of getting up and losing a few pounds I'll blame the parks for trying to take my $$.

It's laziness pure and simple.

• 2 years later...

I was at Universal last weekend. I am 6'4 weigh about 300lbs, with 50" chest and 42" waist. I was able to fit into everything except Harry Potter and the forbidden journey. I did have to use modified seat on the dragon challenge.