TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Robb, What Kind Of Video Camera Do You Use?

mejaybe

Hey Robb!

I'm in the market for a video camera and was curious to know what kind you use to record all of your videos? Do you still like it? If not, anything you can recommend for a reasonable price? Any help here would be greatly appreciated.

J.

Edited by robbalvey

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll let Robb handle this...but I know there will be a few things he'll ask you so he can give you a better answer, so let me get those out of the way:

- Is it for shooting a day at the park, or mostly onride video?

- How much would you like to spend?

- Do you have any other camera parts or accesories?

- Will you be editing the video? Making DVD's?

- What kind of Computer do you have?

Answer those questions and he'll be able to help you better!

Elissa "almost time for me to start shooting video again!" Alvey

I use...

Great video quality easy transfer (I have a microdrive slot on my pc) Lightweight, can carry it in my pocket if I wanted to.

Microdrive/CompactFlash and Secure Digital card slots for extra storage and transfer (4.0GB Microdrive card included)

the only thing that I would see would be a downfall is its like 1200.00 dollars. but hey, price is nothing when its something you want right!!

We normally go for the best of the 'low end' cameras. Mainly because the abuse we put them through every year kills a camera or two, and it's hard to spend that much money on equipment EACH year!

At the moment I am using a Sony TRV-18 as a home DV deck, a TRV-19 for shooting off ride, and a HC-30 for onrides.

I am, however, looking at the new Sony DV cameras, especially that 16x9 one. We'll see....

--Robb

I got my Panasonic PV-GS14 at best by, with an extended 4 year warranty. If anything breaks in it, they will fix it, and if they fix it 3 times they will replace the whole camera, and if that model is not sold any more, they will give me a brand new one thats a new model.

So i say that's the best way.

Josh "Yea thats an On & On sentence" Gould

I use a DCR-TRV280. Ir is pretty small, light weight. Some good features are the photo option, steady shot, night shot, and USB and Fire Wire streaming option (easy for editing). It was around $300.00 and came with pretty much all the tools you need but the Fire Wire card. One other thing is although it is digital, you need a Cassete tape (a normal one works fine). When you use a 160 min. tape you only get 80 min. out of it because it is digital and the tape are recordable.

I am also using a Sony ( HC - 20), but would like to know what software you use for the editing process and burning onto DVD. Have tried pinnacle for the editing, but have trouble when burning.

I found out that if I use pinnacle for the editing along and then use Nero 6 Reloaded to burn to DVD the process works, but it lacks quality with the footage. Any thoughts on how I can inprove the quailty??

Wayne.

• 2 weeks later...

I use a Panasonic PV-GS150. It's their brand new 3 chip ultra compact Mini DV camera. It's tiny. My hand almost wraps around the whole thing. It shoots in 4:3 as well as true 16:9. (both squeezed and un-squeezed) It has both analog as well as ie1394 (firewire) output/inputs.

If you beat the crap out of your camera. Like I do. Always get the extended waranty. You won't regret it.

I've been editing on Pinacle Studio+ and the only problem I have is that I get going faster then my laptop can think. With all the effects and chroma keying that I do I need to give my processor time to catch up. I was also told by a friend that if you drop everything onto a seperate hard drive it will ease up on the bottle neck that is created when working off your interior hard drive. My God does it help! I use a Seagate 300GB one touch stackable. I can daisy chain as many of those badboys as I want.

I would love to have a Pentium4 1GB processor with 4GB SDDR RAM though. That would solve a lot of my speed issues.

Ahhh! Soon. Soon.

Some one just came out with a consumer crash cam. I saw it in this months MAXIM. The one with Brittany Murphy on the cover. MMMmmm!

BRITTANY MURPHY!

Sorry, went on vacation there for a sec. It's called a Samsung SC-X1015 Stunt cam. It has a teathered camera lens that you can hold in the palm of your hand or attach to a helmet or whatever. Page 160. $800.00

Looks like a new toy for Guy!

Is this the one you are talking about:

http://product.samsung.com/cgi-bin/nabc/product/b2c_product_detail.jsp?eUser=&prod_id=SC-X105L%2fXAA

If it is, it's crap. I've already bought one and returned it. The MPEG4 compression isn't even as good as my MPEG2 DVD compressor that I use, and the lipstick cam is only 340k (they don't tell you that in advance anywhere.)

It looked like it was going to be a cool solution for POV, but it's not. Maybe the next version of it that comes out will be better, but the quality kind of reminded me of the 1st wave of digital cameras from 8 years ago!

--Robb

• 10 months later...

Do you think this is an okay camera?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7633527&type=product&id=1130987220688

Or

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=6589603&type=product&id=1081899794375

I want it that of a low price because i already have 150 dollar Bestbuy credits and can't find anything better. i would use that for Six Flags.

Yeah, anything that compresses video in the camera before you can even put it on your computer is not a good idea.

Tape is still the best way at the moment.

Since this thread was brought back to life, this is the first time I've seen this.

For the record: all tape based formats are also compressed. Just not as bad.

DV is actually compressed at 25mb/sec.

In need of a new camcorder for hooking upto my lipstick camera, managed to kill my DV walkman. My concern with the Sonys is that the analogue input is on the side and seems vunerable if I was to put it in a pocket or bum bag (fanny pack is just rude). Robb have you had any problems with snapping this connection off?

I'm tempted by the PC55 for it's pure tinyness. But is it any good for filming in parks. Doesn't need to be superb quality as I've got a A1e for the high quality sutff. Just don't want a camera that is gonna look awful.

• 2 months later...

Wow bring back a dead sticky here! Okay, I've had a Canon ZR200 for about 10 months now and its a piece of crap. The camera was great, besides the fact that it falls apart like nothing. I returned and exchanged it twice before the 90 day warranty ran out, then it decided to break a tape drawer, which costed $175.00 and it just broke another tape drawer and there is no way Im spending another $175.00 to fix it. You cant find extended batteries, lenses or any other after market parts for it anywhere, and if you do, they are really expencive!

So Im looking for a new camera, one of the Sony DCR-HC series. Ive been looking at the HC-42, HC-32, and HC-21. I think Im going to get the HC-42, but I think Sony stopped making them! They dont have them on their website, neither does bestbuy! I can only really find them on eBay or on some online camera stores but the price is outrageously higher. So do you guys either have a place I can find one or have an alternative camera I should buy? Im not buying another Canon ever again, do any ideas? Thanks guys!

Colin C