How the Grinch Stole Christmas... in Ice!

Holiday exhibit at the Gaylord National Resort
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Games, links, news, movies, WHATEVER!!! As long as it's not TOO dirty!
New to the TPR Forums? Come say hello and introduce yourself HERE!
Nuthin' better than a naked donkey!

How the Grinch Stole Christmas... in Ice!

Postby printersdevil78 » Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:44 pm

Shortly before Thanksgiving, I saw an ad in The Washington Post for the Gaylord National Resort's 2010 ice sculpture exhibit featuring "How the Grinch Stole Christmas" and immediately decided I was going to see it. I told my family I had a surprise for them and made them save the date. And then... my stepdaughter-to-be got sick, so I ended up going alone and eating $50 worth of tickets (which was better than the full $90 I would have lost had I not gone at all).

The good news is, the show was amazing, and I have the photos to prove it! Read on....
1.JPG
See that green inflatable dome thingy? That's where the exhibit takes place. Let's go!
Viewed 556 times
2.JPG
"Nobody gets in to see 'Ice' without paying $30, not no way, not no how" Incidentally, parking was an additional $10.
Viewed 556 times
3.JPG
And I don't mean Vanilla!
Viewed 556 times
4.JPG
OK, OK, we get it already! Sheesh!
Viewed 556 times
5.JPG
It's funny because it sounds like "Maryland."
Viewed 556 times
6.JPG
But I thought he lived at Universal Studios....
Viewed 556 times
7.JPG
Can you guess what this tree is made of?
Viewed 556 times
8.JPG
If you said marshmallow Peeps, you're right! If you said anything else, you made the Peeps sad.
Viewed 556 times
9.JPG
The "Ice" show was just one part of a whole "Christmas on the Potomac" program the resort had going on. Indoor ice skating was a nice touch.
Viewed 556 times
10.JPG
These carolers were a lot of fun. Their 15-minute show (free!) helped pass the time while I waited for my timed-entry ticket to activate.
Viewed 556 times
11.JPG
"I am the great and powerful Grinch! And it's time for you to see me made from ice!"
Viewed 556 times
12.JPG
The cue for the exhibit wound through two secondary displays beginning with "The Art of Dr. Seuss." It's a portable exhibit, and I actually first saw it several years ago during a Dr. Seuss event in Ocean City, MD, but it was still fun. I especially enjoyed the background items, like this rough from "The Cat in the Hat."
Viewed 556 times
13.JPG
I love this poem! I specifically sought it out this time so I could take a picture of it.
Viewed 556 times
14.JPG
Apparently it made this fellow a little horny! Fun fact: In addition to illustrating everything from advertisements and propaganda posters to children's books, Dr. Suess also was an abstract painter and sculptor.
Viewed 556 times
15.JPG
The second "secondary" exhibit basically consisted of a few signs with information on the team that designed the ice sculptures, along with video interviews and demonstrations. It was interesting, but not photogenic, so I took the liberty of skipping ahead, photo-wise, to the parka pickup.
Viewed 556 times
16.JPG
Why parkas? Because the tent housing the ice exhibit maintained a constant temperature of just 9 degrees Fahrenheit!
Viewed 556 times
17.JPG
Hmm... this looks somehow familiar.
Viewed 556 times
18.JPG
"Ice: How the Grinch Stole Christmas" is brought to you by cold, refreshing Coca-Cola, proud sponsor of the Bryan and Adam Show!
Viewed 556 times
19.JPG
"What ville?"
"Who-ville."
"He's on first."
Viewed 556 times
20.JPG
Just watch out for the yellow Who-houses....
Viewed 556 times
21.JPG
The Whos are getting ready for their three traditional winter holidays: Who-Christmas, Who-Hanukkah and Who-Kwanzaa.
Viewed 556 times
22.JPG
But the Grinch says, "Who-cares?"
Viewed 556 times
23.JPG
"Look deep into my yellow eyes...."
Viewed 556 times
24.JPG
I'm calling the Who-SPCA!
Viewed 556 times
25.JPG
Guess he already blew down the ones made of straw and sticks. By the way, check out the massive line behind him for the ice slides!
Viewed 556 times
26.JPG
FYI, the earliest "roller coasters" were 17th century Russian ice slides. Look it up!
Viewed 556 times
27.JPG
"Forget about the slides! There's Who-hash to be had!"
Viewed 556 times
28.JPG
"Ta-ta for now, dahlings!"
Viewed 556 times
29.JPG
Oh noes! Turns out the Whos don't care about material goods. Oh well. More for the Grinch!
Viewed 556 times
30.JPG
Ah crap! He went soft on us!
Viewed 556 times
31.JPG
Had this been a real dog, that Santa hat would have been in about 30,000 pieces by now.
Viewed 556 times
32.JPG
Roast beast is people!
Viewed 556 times
33.JPG
Rumor has it Cindy Lou Who is quitting the exhibit to audition for "Glee."
Viewed 556 times
36.JPG
But wait, there's more! In a bonus room, the carvers sculpted a full Nativity scene from clear ice.
Viewed 556 times
37.JPG
It's just like the plastic version from Walmart... only different.
Viewed 556 times
38.JPG
You've heard of the herald angels? This is one is 12 feet tall and made from ice!
Viewed 556 times
39.JPG
Across the parking lot, the resort building itself also had some Christmas attractions. Let's take a look, shall we?
Viewed 556 times
40.JPG
The synchronized music, fountain and light show in the main atrium was pretty awesome! It was like World of Color East!
Viewed 556 times
41.JPG
It's a little difficult to make out in this shot, but they had a little train running beneath the giant Christmas tree that kids could ride at $2 a pop (three rides for $5).
Viewed 556 times
42.JPG
The hotel has a year-round tribute to Dr. Suess, with a series of bronze statues representing his characters scattered throughout the first floor. I'm not exactly sure why, but at least they were kind of neat.
Viewed 556 times
43.JPG
It was impossible to photograph, but along this avenue of trees, the resort also sprayed Disneyland-style "snow" a couple times in the evening. The crowd really went nuts over it--which is ironic when you consider this was the area that got 4 to 6 feet of the real stuff during last winter's "snowmageddon."
Viewed 556 times
44.JPG
And, of course, the hotel lobby was decked out, as well.
Viewed 556 times
45.JPG
That's it! Hope you enjoyed!
Viewed 556 times
46.JPG
Merry Merry, everyone!
Viewed 556 times

A donkey is a domesticated member of the Equidae or horse family.

Re: How the Grinch Stole Christmas... in Ice!

Postby mwm1444 » Mon Dec 20, 2010 7:27 am

Looks pretty amazing - thanks, Jason!

West Coast 2009 ~ UK 2010 ~ IntimidaTour 2010 ~ Southern Japan/Tokyo Disney 2011

Return to Random, Random, Random