St. Louis Forest Park Highlands Comet coaster

Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Archived Photo Trip Reports of Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, and Donkeys!
I'm a know-it-all about donkeys!

St. Louis Forest Park Highlands Comet coaster

Postby Screamin_Eagle » Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:45 am

back in the day, St. Louis had an amusement park called the Forest Park Highlands, it was a famous park for many years, it was sadly destroyed by a fire in July of 1963.

The Highlands was home to the "Comet" roller coaster, which was at the time the largest coaster built.

Comet Facts:

height- 85 ft
length- 3,120 ft

opened May 15, 1941 and it was designed by Herbert Schmeck with trains from the PTC running on its course..

Ironically, the only thing that wasn't burned, was the Comet. The Comet was pulled down over three days in 1966, and until they tore it down, they had to place pieces of rubber over sections of the track to keep people from trying to take that one final ride..

you can see what the Highlands looked like in this video, it also includes a POV of the Comet! pre- TPR of course

ALL PHOTOS BELOW ARE OWNED BY DOUG GARNER AND CAN BE FOUND ON HIS WEBSITE WHICH IS DEDICATED TO:forestparkhighlands.com
FPHComet_2.jpg
coming down the first drop
comet-back058.jpg
as seen from Oakland Ave.
Comet05.jpg
comet_pose2.jpg
cometgirls310.jpg
cometfirst-ride309.jpg
Comet03.jpg
comet_aerial.jpg
FPHComet_1.jpg
closed-comet.jpg
Last edited by larrygator on Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:24 pm.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby FLIPDUDE » Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:30 am

Uhm, is it just me, or is the lady in that one picture standing up?

Spills and Fails, daily.

Postby themeparkologist » Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:08 am

^ I do believe so.
Some people are like slinkies. They aren't really good for much but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Postby Screamin_Eagle » Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:48 am

I am shocked every time I see that picture, guess she was an original adrenaline junkie!

I will provide you with maximum pleasure.

Postby DBru » Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:08 pm

The Comet looked like an awesome coaster. Thanks for sharing this; I never would have known about it if not!

Cool trains, as well. The pacing seemed great, and I'm sure the bunny-hop finale was really fun.

Did anyone here get a chance to ride it?

I think Intamin should make a donkey!

Postby VGplay » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:05 pm

Is it just me, or does the layout look like something the CCI could've built ten years ago? I think its the sweeping turnarounds and bunny hills on turns.

The Future Mrs. Big Mike!

Postby Pirouettes907 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:52 am

Wow, this is awesome! I keep thinking of all the what-ifs and how Forest Park Highlands and the Comet might be if they somehow made it to today since Forest Park is only about a 20 minute walk from my front door.

I've been wanting to dig up some information on this place, and I wanted to ask if you know whereabouts along Oakland the park was located. In the overview shots of the Comet, it looks like there's another road to the left of the coaster's first turnaround running perpendicular to Oakland, and I'm thinking of a few possibilities (Skinker? Tamm? Hampton?) and searching Google maps to try and figure out where this place was. I'd love to hear any additional information you may have.

Thanks for sharing all this!

~Megan

Postby coaster-crazy » Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:16 pm

^ Go to this page: http://www.rcdb.com/5329.htm

Then click on maps, then satellite, then zoom in, and there you go! :)

When I grow up, I want to breed donkeys!

Postby MisterP » Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:43 pm

Pirouettes907 wrote:Wow, this is awesome! I keep thinking of all the what-ifs and how Forest Park Highlands and the Comet might be if they somehow made it to today since Forest Park is only about a 20 minute walk from my front door.

I've been wanting to dig up some information on this place, and I wanted to ask if you know whereabouts along Oakland the park was located. In the overview shots of the Comet, it looks like there's another road to the left of the coaster's first turnaround running perpendicular to Oakland, and I'm thinking of a few possibilities (Skinker? Tamm? Hampton?) and searching Google maps to try and figure out where this place was. I'd love to hear any additional information you may have.

Thanks for sharing all this!

~Megan

That street than ran along the back side of the Comet is Macklind Ave. The coaster ran along the south side of Oakland Ave. on the north end of the park, basically from where the current Hampton Inn and Suites stands on Oakland to the west all the way through the north end of the Forest Park Community College campus east to Macklind Ave.

Tamm Ave is about 1/4 to 1/2 mile west of where the park was and Skinker is about 1/2 a mile to a mile west...

The Future Mrs. Big Mike!

Postby Pirouettes907 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:25 pm

I see that I was looking for the location on the wrong side of Oakland, so thank you for the info, coaster-crazy (how silly of me to not think of rcdb) and MisterP! :)

~Megan

Next

Return to Photo Trip Report Archive