Single Rider Line for Space Mountain at DL?

Seriously...it would be very useful...
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I pee in space

Single Rider Line for Space Mountain at DL?

Postby spacemtfan » Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:11 pm

On my last visit (11-24-2009), when I waiting for them to get the ride back up after it temporarily went 101, I couldn't help but notice that most rockets had about 1-3 empty seats...and seeing as how this ride sees long wait times on an almost daily basis, it got me thinking...
...why isn't there a single ride line for Space Mountain?

It would be perfect if they decided to add a single-rider line to Space Mountain? It would provide people going to ride by themselves a short wait.

Now, I told this to a cast member, but she said that it would be impossible to add one 'due to operational matters'.

I always figured that a single-rider line would work if single riders would enter through the exit, similar to how the handicap board the attraction. But instead of using the seperate loading station, they would wait by the front of the line until they are called.

I don't see any flaws with it, but then again, I don't fully understand how the attraction's boarding procedures work.

What does everyone else think?
"Disney has a very strict dress code, which makes you wonder how Winnie the Pooh managed to slip by without wearing any pants."
--Stephen Colbert, on "The Colbert Report"

I know more about donkeys than women!

Postby The Disneylander » Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:17 pm

Probably because the exit is so far removed from the entrance; people may get confused:

Guest: excuse me, where's the SR line?

CM: well, you have to go all the way back, take a left at Honey, I Shrunk the Audience, then take another right, go past the Starcade, go straight, then take another right, head past the photo booth, and the line starts there.

Guest: *head explodes*

Bonafide Donkey Expert

Postby PeoplemoverMatt » Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:45 pm

ow, I told this to a cast member, but she said that it would be impossible to add one 'due to operational matters'.

She would be correct. Those 'operational matters' is really one matter - how long the CMs have in order to unload/load/dispatch each train. They are constantly under the gun because should they fail & the train not dispatch in time, the ride literally shuts itself down.

It would be cruel to expect a CM to operate a Single Rider line under the clock they have there.

Site Admin

Postby SharkTums » Thu Nov 26, 2009 9:36 am

Hong Kong Disneyland's Space Mountain has a single rider line that works awesome.

I don't think it's an 'operational issue' at all. Just need the queue setup for it and competent employees.

This B&M donkey is so smooth!

Postby Alpenguy » Thu Nov 26, 2009 9:47 am

Heh, dispatch interval isn't an issue. Space Mountain has a strict, measured and ride system enforced weight limit on each train. Sometimes there need to be empty seats to make it. 12 football players? A row is getting pulled out at dispatch or everyone is going to the left and getting regrouped the hard way.

Now think about who mostly uses single rider lines (AP's)...

I pee in space

Postby spacemtfan » Sun Nov 29, 2009 1:15 pm

^ I completely forgot that the ride also has a weight limit! The way you put it makes sense, but like Elissa says, the Space Mountain in Hong Kong Disneyland has a single-rider line, and for the most part it works pretty well.
"Disney has a very strict dress code, which makes you wonder how Winnie the Pooh managed to slip by without wearing any pants."
--Stephen Colbert, on "The Colbert Report"

I'm a know-it-all about donkeys!

Postby stuartnz » Sun Nov 29, 2009 3:20 pm

I remember thinking the Space Mountain ops were complete dicks, then reading on the internet the way the ride works. Now I just feel sorry for them :?r

How is the Hong Kong version of the ride different in terms of station operation?

I know more about donkeys than women!

Postby The Disneylander » Sun Nov 29, 2009 3:38 pm

^ It's a complete clone of the DL version. Just a smaller (way smaller) station. Dispatch intervals, I believe, would be the same.

On a sidenote, the SM Cast Members do a helluva job. The ride has possibly the fastest dispatch intervals I've ever seen, and yet every train is full! :shockr:

Can you see the donkey in my toast?

Postby Top Thrill Dragster » Sun Nov 29, 2009 3:57 pm

Hong Kong Disneyland Space Mountain loads and un loads in separate areas of the station. And I bet the stations queue is bigger and more organized allowing for Single rider grouping.
Apollos Chariot #1!

What would donkeys be like on the moon?

Postby Retro_Gaga » Sun Nov 29, 2009 4:10 pm

How does this ride work exactly from an ride op pov. It seems like you'd need really heavy training just to load the train in the time frame.

Next

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!