Coaster size restrictions

Oi fatty, you're too big to ride!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Ask us a question about trip planning, coaster videos, rodent encounters or donkeys!
I Love Donkeys!

Coaster size restrictions

Postby Geoff » Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:44 am

Hi

We’re setting off a trip to North East USA next month and will be visiting Six Flags Great Adventure, Busch Garden Europe, King’s Island and Cedar Point. :b I’ve read with some interest about some size restrictions when getting on some coasters and was wondering at what size it gets difficult to get on. When we visited Orlando two years back, I was okay getting on the big boy seats on B&Ms but this means the choice of where I could sit was severely limited. I’ve now lost about 30 pounds and so am hoping that I won’t have a problem again. I’m now 250 pounds and have a 48 inch chest. I’m about 5 foot ten inches tall. Do you think I’ll be able to get on non big boys seats or should I stop eating for the next month?!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. =)

Cheers

Geoff.

The woman with a million questions

Postby Crazy_Behemoth_Lady_Jess » Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:22 am

I read somewhere that the B&Ms can fit up to 54 inch so you should be fine. I think most parks have test seats anyways for that purpose to save anyone the embarassment of having to do the walk of shame.

And losing weight is more than just not eating and exercise. It's also about your lifestyle too. The healthier you live, the easier it is.

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:56 pm

I know that the "big boy" seats on Alpengeist (under the four diamonds in the loading station) are meant for guests with chest sizes "approaching" 52 inches. Apollo's Chariot might be the only one that gives you trouble, depending on your waist size.

Have I mentioned how awesome donkeys are?

Postby coastersrule85 » Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:07 pm

I just got back from a trip and had asked this exact question before I left. I absolutely feel your pain. I'm pretty big; I'm 6'2" and around a 44-46 inch waist and 48 to 50 inch chest and I'm just as proportioned in the hips. I really had no real problem at any of the parks.

At Kings Island the tightest rides are what you would expect. I was worried on Diamondback, but I was able to squeeze into it just fine. They say that all of the seats are the same, but I'm not sure that is the case. Rows 2, 4, and 6 I was able to get into without any problem. We decided to try the back and sat in row 14. I couldn't get the lap restraint down to where they wanted it on my own, and a ride-op had to give the bar a push to get it there. Firehawk was also definitely a bit more snug than the Superman rides I've ridden, but I got myself buckled just fine. The other two rides that seemed a little tight were Flight of Fear and Invertigo. Everything else was no problem that I can remember. You will absolutely LOVE Diamondback, btw.

I knew when we visited Cedar Point that Millennium and Top Thrill would be a no go for me, and I was right. After working up quite a sweat, I was able to get the test seatbelt buckled on Top Thrill, and the guy working the end of the line said that I should be able to make it, but when I got to the ride, I found the seat belt much tighter and had to take the walk of shame. Like I said though, I carry weight in the hip area which really hurts me on those rides; it seems like it's a proportion thing on both of them, so try out the test seats for sure. I also have to give five stars to two ride-ops who worked some serious magic by getting me into Wicked Twister. I had no problem with any of the flats like MaxAir, Sky Hawk, nor Power Tower.

At great Adventure I had no problem on Nitro, which is the greatest ride in the park. When we were getting on Bizarro my niece did give my restraint a shove so I could get it buckled, but I made it just fine. Batman was actually the tightest Batman ride I've ever ridden. The ride-op had to use some muscle to get me buckled, but again, I made it. As I expected, I did have trouble on El Toro. Again, I don't really have a protruding belly, so I'm sure it was the damn hips again...with my mouth getting some of the blame. I was able to get the seatbelt buckled but couldn't get the light for the lap bar to turn green. I probably could have made it with more ride-op magic, but the line was horrendous because in true Great Adventure fashion they were running it intermittently with only one train.

I've never been to Busch Gardens, so I can't help you there.

I hope this helps. If you have any questions about any specific rides, please post them. I'll keep checking back to help you out as much as I can.

I honestly don't think you'll have a problem. The main thing is just go and enjoy yourself!!

I Love Donkeys!

Postby Geoff » Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:29 am

Thanks to all for your replies. I think I'd best stick to salads for the next five weeks to make sure I can get on. Can't wait :airtime:

I Love Donkeys!

Postby Geoff » Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:33 am

coastersrule85 wrote:I just got back from a trip and had asked this exact question before I left. I absolutely feel your pain. I'm pretty big; I'm 6'2" and around a 44-46 inch waist and 48 to 50 inch chest and I'm just as proportioned in the hips. I really had no real problem at any of the parks.

At Kings Island the tightest rides are what you would expect. I was worried on Diamondback, but I was able to squeeze into it just fine. They say that all of the seats are the same, but I'm not sure that is the case. Rows 2, 4, and 6 I was able to get into without any problem. We decided to try the back and sat in row 14. I couldn't get the lap restraint down to where they wanted it on my own, and a ride-op had to give the bar a push to get it there. Firehawk was also definitely a bit more snug than the Superman rides I've ridden, but I got myself buckled just fine. The other two rides that seemed a little tight were Flight of Fear and Invertigo. Everything else was no problem that I can remember. You will absolutely LOVE Diamondback, btw.

I knew when we visited Cedar Point that Millennium and Top Thrill would be a no go for me, and I was right. After working up quite a sweat, I was able to get the test seatbelt buckled on Top Thrill, and the guy working the end of the line said that I should be able to make it, but when I got to the ride, I found the seat belt much tighter and had to take the walk of shame. Like I said though, I carry weight in the hip area which really hurts me on those rides; it seems like it's a proportion thing on both of them, so try out the test seats for sure. I also have to give five stars to two ride-ops who worked some serious magic by getting me into Wicked Twister. I had no problem with any of the flats like MaxAir, Sky Hawk, nor Power Tower.

At great Adventure I had no problem on Nitro, which is the greatest ride in the park. When we were getting on Bizarro my niece did give my restraint a shove so I could get it buckled, but I made it just fine. Batman was actually the tightest Batman ride I've ever ridden. The ride-op had to use some muscle to get me buckled, but again, I made it. As I expected, I did have trouble on El Toro. Again, I don't really have a protruding belly, so I'm sure it was the damn hips again...with my mouth getting some of the blame. I was able to get the seatbelt buckled but couldn't get the light for the lap bar to turn green. I probably could have made it with more ride-op magic, but the line was horrendous because in true Great Adventure fashion they were running it intermittently with only one train.

I've never been to Busch Gardens, so I can't help you there.

I hope this helps. If you have any questions about any specific rides, please post them. I'll keep checking back to help you out as much as I can.

I honestly don't think you'll have a problem. The main thing is just go and enjoy yourself!!

Thanks for this. Very helpful. I think in the past I've had problems mainly with B&Ms, which are my favourite, because of their bucket seats and my fat A$$! I'm sure I'll be fine on the big boy seats but fingers crossed I can manage the standards ones too so that I get a chance to sit in the back and the front too.

Challenge me at Donkey Kong...I dare ya!

Postby monsterfan99 » Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:21 am

With Cedar Point, try the test seat first. If it is close, go for it. I was maybe a half inch short on TTD and ended up just getting it clicked with the help of my friend. With M Force, I was a good 2 inches short and had no problem in the back row. Also, it does help to store things like a wallet in a fluffy, fluffy bunny filled with medicine and goo. The $2 dollars they cost is good for one use, but they do not empty out the fluffy, fluffy bunnies filled with medicine and goo until after close.

This is coming from someone with a 42-43 inch waste. I'm 5'7 so I am not much help on Wicked Twister, but I know I failed the test seat, but have never had a problem getting on an impulse coaster.

With Kings Island, no coaster was a problem at all. The worst was finding leg room in the Fairly Odd Coaster. Only one I have no clue about is Little Bill's Giggle Coaster.

I just saw this on Screamscape and wanted to give you a heads up for Busch Gardens.

Everyone knows that the bigger coaster lovers out there have issues when it comes to fitting into many Swiss designed roller coasters, like most of the fine machines at Busch Gardens from B&M, many requiring the use of one of the few “big boy” seats in each train. I’m not sure if this happened earlier this season or more recently, but a reliable source tells me that the seat-belts they encountered on Alpengeist appear to have been shortened quite a bit from their normal length from years past.

Bitch Please!

Postby Sir Clinksalot » Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:39 am

I'm a pretty good sized guy, my waist size is 40" but I have a broad chest/broad shoulders.

The only ride I've ever gotten kicked off of was La Revolucion' at Knott's. Also, the last couple of times I've ridden Batman at SFMM it's been kind of tight, but that's it.

Full Fledged Donkey Enthusiast!

Postby coasterville » Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:03 am

I'm a fairly good size guy myself - 275 and 6' - 42-44 inch waist.

I was just at Cedar Point monday - For me Dragster, M. Force, Whicked Twister, Mantis and Raptor were no-gos for me.

At that park I have come to terms with the fact they have rides I can't ride. Raptor was a bit of a shock as I last rode it in 2003 and was fine. I just rode Dominator in 2007 (I think that was my last prior B&M OTSR experience). As far as Mantis goes, I had a clue at SFKK earlier this season, when I had to struggle to get on Chang.

I think my answer is to avoid Cedar Point, as that is really the only park I have significant troubles with.

Cedar Point is good about putting test seats out in front of a lot of rides, which will at worst save you the time in queue since you can find out right away.

Know that I feel your pain and know that Walk of Shame. My cousin, who is 40lbs lighter than me and wears a 38 also failed the testers on MF, TTD, and Wicked Twister.

What is with those fluffy bunnies filled with goo?

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby f3aredricka » Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:28 pm

I'm going to cedar point in about 1.5 weeks. I currently have been busting my butt to make sure I fit into these roller coasters.

I started off 5 weeks ago at a little over 300 and a 44'ish inch waist and 5'11-6'0, I am currently down to 265 and a 39" Waist. I'm hoping to drop 1 more inch off my waist and be able to ride everything. I had a 52" chest and it's probally 50" or less now since i've lost a good bit of weight.

I really hope I can ride everything, most people say if you have a 38" waist you have a solid shot at riding everything, hopefully I am built well enough to do this, or I better use these muscles I got to stretch that belt! What do you guys think?

Next

Return to Ask Alvey