Photo TR: Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom

Our first visit to this tragic little park with potential.
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 2 guests
Archived Photo Trip Reports of Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, and Donkeys!
Permanent Tourist

Photo TR: Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom

Postby Electerik » Fri Jun 12, 2009 7:32 pm

We’d driven by SFKK several of times in the past (on our way to Holiday World and such), but we’d never actually gone. Since we had Six Flags annual passes this time, we decided to finally give it a shot.

The verdict? Well, it was mediocre. But considering that, going in, I thought SFKK might end up being one of the worst parks I’d ever been to, “mediocre” is probably a victory.

One weird thing, though. I knew Twisted Twins was SBNO, but there’s seriously a whole area of the park that’s just closed off and (presumably) rotting.
P1260495.JPG
We parked by the dump station. Is that a bad sign?

Seriously, though, this place makes a worse first impression than Kennywood.
P1260502.JPG
I now know why most parks open at 9 or 10, instead of waiting until there’s a crowd. SFKK didn’t open until 11:00am, and it was a zoo.
P1260503IMGP.JPG
One of these people looks like an idiot.

Misty just had to get a photo of me with Green Lantern, since he’s my favorite superhero. Of course, I prefer Hal Jordan--but I guess John Stewart will do.
P1260505.JPG
Our first ride of the day, Roadrunner Express. It was fun enough. A fairly typical wild mouse, but I like those.
P1260506.JPG
This picture shows just how weird this park’s location is--as well as our second ride of the day, Greezed Lightnin’. Yay for Schwarzkopf Shuttle Loop goodness, even if it was braked through the station (just as it was when it was at SFOG). I guess I’m just spoiled growing up with Montezooma’s Revenge at KBF.
P1260517.JPG
Is it wrong that this almost felt like a kid’s ride to me? Oh well, a least it was lapbars only and no seatbelts, just as God/Schwarzkopf intended.
P1260530.JPG
I had no idea this park even had a car ride. It was good, too. There were cows.
P1260557a.JPG
So the park is kind of a figure 8, in the sense that it’s two loops connected by a bridge over a highway.
P1260557b.JPG
Of course I’d heard that, I’d just never actually seen pictures of said bridge. You’re welcome.
P1260585.JPG
The park is also really close to an airport. Really close.
P1260586.jpg
Hey, a Giant Wheel! Maybe this park isn’t so bad....
P1260603.JPG
The park’s biggest coaster is this oddly-named B&M Stand-Up.
P1260604.JPG
These signs were posted throughout the queue (and that of many other rides). They went all the way to 120 minutes, all clearly based on one train. So which is worse: the idea that they would mislead people into buying Flash Passes by posting wildly inaccurate wait times, or that they might really only run one train with a 120 minute wait?
P1260605.JPG
Not a bad ride. Rather similar to Mantis at Cedar Point, but I think I like this one better. Still, stand-ups are a rather silly gimmick, in my view.
P1260606.JPG
Chang as seen from the Giant Wheel. With some proper sit-down trains, this might be a pretty good ride.
P1260640.JPG
Chang exits into this warehouse-themed gift shop. Obviously, I don’t need to explain the theming connection here.
P1260641.JPG
The water park is located right in the center of the park's upper loop. I’m thinking they used to be separate parks, on opposite sides of the road, that were later connected via bridge because the water park had room to expand and the amusement park didn’t. Am I close?
P1260642.JPG
Deluge. Yeah, I know, I should have ridden it. We weren’t wearing bathing suits or anything, though. But it did look fun.
P1260645b.JPG
T2 towers over the wave pool. What the hell kind of name is “T2” anyway? Of course, this is from the same park that brought you “Chang,” so....
P1260646.JPG
We did actually walk all the way up to the load platform, since Misty has never been on a Vekoma SLC--but we bailed when we saw the line and how slowly they were loading their one train. (Note that the empty gate that looks like it’s in front of us doesn’t actually lead anywhere.)
P1260658.JPG
So, the best ride in the park might actually be this thing.
P1260669e.jpg
Yes, the ride ops do actually scoot around on that center piece checking seatbelts.
P1260683.JPG
What’s this? Actual theming at a Six Flags? That villainous RapidsNerd and his steam-powered robot army must be behind this!
P1260684IMGP6787.jpg
Come on, admit it, that’s pretty cool. (Photo by Speedmetal.)
P1260697IMGP6793.JPG
The boats do seem to have a bit of a drainage problem, though. (Photo by Speedmetal.)
P1260704.JPG
No wonder the Penguin carries an umbrella.
P1260711.JPG
The midway to Thunder Run is really cracksmoking--totally surrounded by wooden fences, with not much on it. Perhaps this is the new route created since they now have the area by Twisted Twins totally closed off?
P1260722.JPG
I never really researched this park, and I thought Thunder Run was exactly the same as The Hurlers at Carowinds and King’s Dominion--but it’s actually slightly different.

Note Twisted Twins, standing but not operating, in the background. There’s also a Shoot-The-Chutes and some kind of drag racing attraction (upcharge?) closed off, and quite possibly more stuff that I couldn’t see. Yikes.
P1260734.JPG
There’s still some old theming that hasn’t been totally crushed out.
P1260736.JPG
This is the part of the Belgian Village.
P1260741.JPG
The park also has a really cool old carousel.
P1260764.JPG
I actually kind of like how it looks just a little bit worn.
P1260766.JPG
There’s also a Roller Skater called “Roller Skater.” It wasn't too busy when we hit it.
P1260767.JPG
Aw...it looks like a shoe.
P1260781.JPG
Yes, a new ice cream sundae souvenir coaster container credit!
P1260786.JPG
I thought this was cute.
P1260792.JPG
We didn’t eat here...but only because we were saving ourselves for Holiday World pizza later.
P1260795.JPG
Back across the bridge.
P1260812.JPG
A good way to get yourself mentioned in lots of TR’s is to totally love something really specific. This one is for Thai.
P1260813.jpg
TPR Vacancy: Guy (or Gal) Who Really Loves Himalayas

Oh well, maybe Larry can use it.
P1260823.jpg
Smisty enjoyed getting her photo taken with Petunia in front of the park’s biggest gift shop...
P1260824.jpg
…but she was a little bit skeptical about some of the merchandise inside.

And now, Erik’s 5-Step Plan to improve Kentucky Kingdom:

1. Don’t brake Greezed Lightin’ through the station.
2. Buy some sit-down trains for Chang, and then run more than one of them at a time.
3. Install a shooting dark ride.
4. See what can be salvaged over in the Twisted Twins dead zone.
5. Intamin Mega-Lite.

Of course, number 5 is pretty much my answer for everything....

Thanks for reading. Bye bye.
Erik Allen Elness

Which came first the turtle or the donkey?

Postby CoasterCard » Fri Jun 12, 2009 7:52 pm

^ I hope you didn't think the few hours you had there were pointless, I would feel terrible suggesting it and wasting your time. I agree that something needs to be done back in the Twisted Twins area, but seeing as though it seems to be the armpit of Six Flags company (excluding the travesty at SFNO) I don't expect to see them develop the park much more than it is. It's hard to coexist with HW and KI nearby, and I think that Six Flags feels that their market in the area is minuscule and the people that want to ride rides will travel the under 2 hour trip to either of the other parks.

Jar-Jar Binks smells like Donkey

Postby STR8FXXXINEDGE » Fri Jun 12, 2009 7:58 pm

Another great TR from you!

I thought that SFKK was one of the worst parks that I have ever been too.
I think besides Chang, all of their coasters suck. Personal opinion, of course.
I guess Greezed Lightnin' was OK due to nostalgic value.

From what I remember, you didn't miss much by not being able to ride Twisted Twins. I remember being kind of excited to ride it, but I was badly let down. The only good thing about it, is that it looks like planes are going to crash right in to it.

On a good note, it looks like the park is cleaner than when I was there in 2007.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Airtime&Gravity » Fri Jun 12, 2009 7:59 pm

The drag racing ride has been closed for several years, so it didn't just close with Twisted Twins.

Nice photos and trip report. It seems like you have a lot of the same opinions that I do of the park. It doesn't really deserve it's reputation, but if given the chance, most would visit the other parks in the area. Yeah, T2's line moves extremely slowly. When I was there last year, I waited 20-30 minutes with barely going anywhere, the line was just a crowd in the station, before using a flash pass ticket.

Harry Potter is a sick donkey.

Postby ctriceman » Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:36 pm

What happened with Twisted Twins?

Jo My Oh!

Postby Jerrykoala2112 » Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:41 pm

A band called "Twister Twins threatened to sue if they didn't change name. Sorry for spelling, I am still learning English. :devil:

Donkeys are my way of life!

Postby almightyfire » Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:44 pm

this is nothing but an upscale carnival. it needs to be burned down completely. skip this park and drive 1 hr to holiday world.

I poop golden school busses

Postby astroworldfan1 » Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:53 pm

Jerrykoala2112 wrote:A band called "Twister Twins threatened to sue if they didn't change name. Sorry for spelling, I am still learning English. :devil:

Twisted Sisters sued Six Flags........

-Tatum

I wrote the book about donkeys!

Postby Satchboogie3 » Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:24 pm

I visited SFKK in '04 and from the sounds of it, it has only gotten worse. You aren't missing anything at all with Twisted Twins, it was one of the most boring "dueling" coasters I have been on. This is definitely the worst park I've ever been to.

astroworldfan1 wrote:
Twisted Sisters sued Six Flags........

-Tatum

If that was true, couldn't they just change the name and keep it open while they go to court?

I guess it's good to at least get the credits out of the way and it probably will make Holiday World seem even better.
Coaster Count: 219
Favorite Steel- Superman: Ride Of Steel (SFNE) .... errrr Bizarro
Favorite Wooden- El toro

Donkeys are my way of life!

Postby sfmmrules! » Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:35 pm

GURR!!! Tidal Wave er Greezed Lightnin should be at CGA!!! NO FAIR CGA had to loose that ride!!! :cry: & What is funny is that it is BOTH Tidal Waves(the one from Six Flags Great America) combided into one ride since they used parts from the other to make the other run. Greezed Lightnin looks so bare without it's Tidal Wave theming!!!
My Favorite Coasters: Mime-Big Thunder(DLA), Sit Down-Hulk,Viper(SFMM),Standup-Riddlers Revenge, Floorless-Medusa(SFDK),Scream, Indoor-Revenge Of The Mummy(USO), Space Mountain(DLA), Rock N Roller(DHS), Launch-California Screamin, Flyer-Tatsu, Woodie-Colossus(SFMM), Other-X2,Matterhorn Bobsleds, Hyper-Goliath(SFMM), Inverted-Batman(SFMM),Dueling Dragons,Montu, Boomerang-V2(SFDK) :b :airtime: :mickey:

Next

Return to Photo Trip Report Archive