Photo TR: Six Flags Over Georgia

And Georgia Aquarium photos on page 4.
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Archived Photo Trip Reports of Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, and Donkeys!
Permanent Tourist

Photo TR: Six Flags Over Georgia

Postby Electerik » Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:51 pm

Let's cut to the chase: Today I went to SFOG (for the first time in over five years) and encountered the most consistently friendly employees of any park I've ever been to.

I know, right?

No, seriously. Nearly every employee in every department went out of their way to greet as we entered their area, and were helpful and good-natured at every turn. It was like I'd somehow slipped into the mirror universe, except without the short skirts. I have no idea how Six Flags Over Georgia managed to get all these folks to buy into this bizarre new concept--but whatever they're doing, it's working. :omg:

[Edit: The next day, we went to the Georgia Aquarium. Those photos can be found on page 4.]
03P3080462.JPG
The main thing that brought this Six Flags hater back? Goliath.
04P3070273.jpg
I thought this whole "more characters out in the park" thing sounded pretty lame, but it was actually really cool.
05IMGP2725.JPG
To get to Goliath, you have to run a gauntlet of games.
06P3080588.JPG
Kind of a funky picture, but I like it anyway.
09P3080473.JPG
The helix looks somewhat awesomer than it really is.
11P3080483.JPG
Goliath is clearly the best ride in the park. However, I don't think it's better than, say, Apollo's Chariot.
15IMGP2750.JPG
Gotham changed a bit since last time I was here. I like it.
17P3070327.JPG
Mindbender's first loop.
18P3080495.JPG
And Mindbender's second loop is in this picture (even according to SFOG).
20P3070348.JPG
You know, really, Batman just has a bunch of bat-shaped crap. My mom collects turtle figurines, but that doesn't make her a superhero.
21P3070370.JPG
Now here's a real hero! (Coincidentally enough, I actually share Aquaman's ability to speak to fish.)
22P3080416.JPG
A weird kiddie coaster in a weird area. But I love Looney Tunes, so it's all good.
23IMGP2762.JPG
It's hard to explain, but they really went ALMOST all out.
24P3080524.JPG
Yes, a whole little Toro display! Because 'Bully For Bugs' is the best cartoon ever!
25IMGP2811.JPG
On every one of my previous visits (and they were several), the Sky Buckets were closed. Maybe Six Flags really is improving.
26IMGP2785.JPG
And I finally got to ride it! Hooray!
29P3080639.JPG
Cool, now let's have some ice cream!
30P3080426.JPG
There are boobs on this thing--but I don't wish to offend, so let's keep our distance.
31IMGP2766.JPG
Misty had never been on a Flyer.
32P3080559.JPG
Misty has still never been on a Flyer. (I like how Brandon Routh gets to be Captain Buzzkill here, though.)
36P3080579.JPG
I do have an operational complaint, though: Superman and Ninja were down all day, and GASM only ran one train--making the wait prohibitive, and turning the whole area into one big old-school Six Flags of suck.
42P3080629.JPG
A floorless drop tower? Um...pass.
46P3070279.JPG
Georgia Cyclone is the same as I remember it: awesome and horrifying.
48P3080631.JPG
The front is rough, but great.
50IMGP2722.JPG
Whereas the back is awesome and unridable.
91P3080624.JPG
Misty taking a picture of the Wheelie. (What a nerd!)
93IMGP2857.JPG
I, on the other hand, am a serious documentarian.
96P3080485.jpg
Scorcher is pretty good for a stand-up, I guess.
99IMGP2719.JPG
Goodbye Six Flags Over Georgia...I might even come back this year!
Erik Allen Elness

"Been Around The World And Realized Only Stupid People Are Breeding"

Postby packfanlv » Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:06 pm

I'm glad to hear that SFOG employees are friendly. My only visit a couple of years ago was just before kids got out of school and they seemed to be understaffed but the staff they had was great. I really LOVED Goliath but that was a few years ago. Maybe something has changed. Thanks for the great TR!

(Oh and the drop tower is awesome and Ninja is perhaps the single most painful coaster I have ever been on!)
I write about how to travel the world for pennies on the dollar at Miles To Memories!

Obsessive Overlord of the TPR Park Index

Postby larrygator » Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:12 pm

Erik - Did you notice a higher percentage of employees being older than high school/college age? I know you are used to this at Dollywood, but I have a feeling that the economy will bring more older employees into the parks this year.
As usual, my analysis is free of charge!
Original enough to not steal someone else's quote as a signature

Former captain of the Arrow bus.

Postby Erik Johnson » Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:18 pm

Wow, it looks like they drained the Ninja lake.

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby thrillerman1 » Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:23 pm

I want the ice cream coaster! Good to hear about the employee friendliness. Thanks for sharing!

All I want is a chainlift!

Postby pkdcoaster » Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:34 pm

Thanks for the TR, how were the lines for Goliath? it looked dead.

JEFF
Actual Coaster Count: 402

Fav. Park: Cedar Point
Fav. Steel: Intimidator 305/ Fury 325
Fav. Wood: El Toro/Voyage

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby dresdenoberst » Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:21 pm

I was there this weekend as well. I agree that the staff was pretty good. I was pleasantly surprised at their level of attentiveness and and willingness to do better.
On Saturday I was waiting for the Georgia Cyclone and I overheard one of the staff complaining that she was bored. I suggested to her that they should act more like Cedar Point ride ops and sing and dance while they did their job. I boarded the train a few seconds after this. The rest of my group were still on the platform and they reported that the ops started doing exactly as I suggested, Singing and Dancing.
The train conductor was doing her spiel in a hurried monotone level on Saturday as we left the Rabun Gap station and I was found hoping she would just be quiet. I was quite amused when we stopped at the Marthasville station, the engineer walked back and conducted the station spiel in a falsetto then baritone voice. He then spent the next few minutes doing a decent standup act before heading back to the poor neutered Texas (diesel convert) engine to pull us back round.
Maintenance issues aside, we had a great time at SFOG.

Bonafide Donkey Expert

Postby U2Rox » Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:33 pm

WOW!! Great TR!!!

I went to SFOG in Sept. 05, and had a great time! Superman also had problems the day we were there, but we managed a ride. Sorry to hear Great American closed, next to Deja Vu it was one of my favorite rides.

Thanks for posting these photos, brought back memories of my Atalnta weekend!! Which was really a good time!!!
:)

TPR's Olden Goldie

Postby ebl » Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:43 pm

This is one Six Flags park that I'd like to visit someday. Thanks for the TR and pictures.

Eric
My Honda will run ringz around your Saturn.

I get wet for Manta!

Postby themeparkman25 » Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:45 pm

That has to be the coolest ice cream holder ever! Its so novel its almost cool! But I have never been to this park, this TR kind of made me really want to check it out!

Next

Return to Photo Trip Report Archive