Powder Keg Test Run Photos! Check 'em out!

Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Archived Photo Trip Reports of Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, and Donkeys!
Site Admin

Powder Keg Test Run Photos! Check 'em out!

Postby robbalvey » Wed Feb 23, 2005 2:34 pm

Hey everyone!

The nice people over at Silver Dollar City have just emailed me some pics of the ride testing! Below is their most recent press release along with the photos!

I for one am very interested in this ride since it's the first ride to show off the 'marriage' of S&S and Arrow technology.

--Robb

Silver Dollar City Adds New
$10 Million, Environmentally-Designed,
Explosive-Launch Roller Coaster

Powder Keg Blasts Riders 0-53 mph in 2.8 Seconds

(Branson, Mo. 2/05) The Silver Dollar City theme park in Branson, Missouri is presenting an all-new super launch coaster for Spring 2005 that shoots riders into a thrill zone within seconds of climbing aboard, launching them from 0 to 53 miles per hour in just 2.8 seconds. Constructed within the forests of the Ozark Mountains and winding down a hillside, Powder Keg is a family thrill ride unlike any other in the history of the park. It combines launching speed with spiraling turns, negative gravitational or “G” forces, and “floater” hills to create a thrill ride of great magnitude.

In addition, it’s packaged in an environmentally sound design.
“An air launch system like this is amazing - there is great launching speed yet virtually no impact on the environment,” said Stan Checketts, founder and CEO of Powder Keg manufacturer S&S Power of Logan, Utah. S&S is the world’s leading manufacturer of compressed-air rides and the largest ride manufacturer in the United States.

Checketts said Powder Keg is one of only three like it in the world that uses clean compressed air technology for incredibly fast and energy-efficient acceleration. "Unlike traditional mechanical or hydraulic systems, this technique runs cleanly, and the ride runs smoothly while soaring through the trees at speeds up to 64 miles per hour.”

A $10 million project, Powder Keg takes riders from the initial big blast up a lift to a 110-foot drop, into spiraling and dragonfly banked turns, through a wave of floater hills with negative G forces, giving riders the experience of weightlessness above the trees. As required by Silver Dollar City policy, only those trees that had to be removed were, with three additional trees planted elsewhere for every one removed.

Themed in the Real History of the Ozarks
In keeping with Silver Dollar City’s internationally-awarded commitment to bringing the colorful history of regions to life, Powder Keg salutes the miners who worked in the great Marvel Cave, which is located below the theme park. In the late 1880s, tons of nitrogen-rich bat guano were hauled out of the cave’s massive sinkhole using an archaic pulley system. The guano was taken by stagecoach and railroads to powder mills across the state and the country where it was used to make valuable black powder.

“The Powder Keg ride begins in a powder mill amid barrels of nitro-explosives that rock and tip,” said Brad Thomas, general manager of Silver Dollar City. “As the nitro ‘explodes,’ the cars blast out of the building with special effects of fire and smoke shooting through the roof!” While the ride offers thrills, it has been designed to accommodate families. Anyone over 42 inches in height can ride, which is roughly a five or six-year-old, said Thomas, who cites guest surveys that resoundingly requested a family thrill ride as the reason for choosing Powder Keg.
A trip on Powder Keg lasts nearly three minutes and spirals around six acres on 3,500 feet of track. The ride carries more than 1,000 people per hour with 16 passengers per train. Silver Dollar City’s Corporate Development team and the Maintenance & Construction Division are handling theming and construction.

keg7.jpg
keg5.jpg
keg1.jpg
keg2.jpg
keg3.jpg
keg4.jpg
keg6.jpg
Last edited by robbalvey on Wed Feb 23, 2005 2:57 pm.

Full Fledged Katonga Enthusiast

Postby Scaparri » Wed Feb 23, 2005 2:39 pm

Awesome! This ride is really looking like a solid investment. Thanks for the pics Robb! Is anybody taking this thing for a sping this year?

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Wed Feb 23, 2005 2:48 pm

^ YES! We will be there in May.

And we'll have a full report then!

--Robb

ps. Don't forget to check out the earlier construction photos:
http://www.themeparkreview.com/forum/vi ... .php?t=162

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby CoasterCrazy » Wed Feb 23, 2005 2:51 pm

Awesome photos, I wish I could go to Missouri this summer.

Not Everyone In Germany Wears Lederhosen and Eats Sauerkraut

Postby Hattuchili » Wed Feb 23, 2005 3:04 pm

Unbelievable. This ride looks really good and is the next point on my list.

--Soeren
--> from good old Germany and back in Orlando!

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Carnage » Wed Feb 23, 2005 4:20 pm

I like the looks of that overbank in the last picture.

Can't wait to ride it in June.

Telling it like how it is

Postby Mr.Six » Wed Feb 23, 2005 4:52 pm

Wow! That ride looks so cool!

Michael "As all rockets do" Thomas

Randomness Rules

Postby jonathan h » Wed Feb 23, 2005 5:03 pm

Can someone explain what the little track that comes out the launch bit is used for. It looks like the back spike fo a shuttle coaster and can be seen on the parks promotional artwork for the ride. I swear I saw a picture of it on the internet someplace. If I find it i will post it. I was just wondering why they would need a spike of track like a shuttle coaster uses when this is a full cicuit coaster.

One time I ate pancakes

Postby Mr. Volcano » Wed Feb 23, 2005 5:32 pm

Wow, this looks absolutely amazing, I have to get ther eand ride this now! :shock:

Amazing looking... nuff said...

-Justin "who hasn't seen ANY part of the ride's layout until now"

Site Admin

Postby SharkTums » Wed Feb 23, 2005 5:48 pm

WOW! I have to say I really wasn't all that impressed with this ride until I just saw these pictures! Now I'm pretty excited about getting to hit it come May!

Elissa "I can't believe that thing has a 42'' height restriction!!!" Alvey

Next

Return to Photo Trip Report Archive