TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Best Damn Tip Sheet Period

So, I came up with this idea after I have seen a major ballooning in the number of random and repetitive threads in this section of the site, and in the Ask Alvey section of the site. I figured, why not make a collaborative effort to make the most omprehensive tip guide possible? We have have tips for a bunch of parks in one spot, so people don't have to fish around the site looking for tips, or get frustrated and just make a new thread. Plus, this could be useful for people that either don't know how to use the search function, or just toally disregard it.

What I would like to do is get as many tips for as many parks as possible in this thread. I will keep it as orderly and clean as possible to make it easy to read and understand. So, if you have tips for parks post them here and I will organize them in this post at the beginning of the thread. Also, if you have any questions about parks that aren't within this park "datebase" feel free to ask them, and then I will compile the responses to those posts and place them here also.

I am going to separate each park into these tip categories: Park Management (how to navigate the park), Best Time to Go to the Park (months, days, times that have the least crowds and provide the best value), Food Recommendations, Ride Recommendations (for food and ride recommendations I will provide the screenname of the person that recommends them in case you have found someone on the site that you have similar tastes to in order to).

I will be sure to update this AT LEAST weekly. Ideally daily. Probably every 2-3 days.

I will start it off with a park that I know very well, and show the format that I will be doing things in.

Let's make this happen! Let's stop cluttering the Ask Alvey section!

California's Great America

Park Management

- The longest lines in the park are for Flight Deck, Survivor, Firefall, and Invertigo, so hit those early! Also water ride lines can get huge on hot days.

-The circular shape of the park makes it difficult for effective touring, so it is recommended to start with Flight Deck and Firefall, but then touring in a counter-clockwise rotation.

-The water park is empty for its first 2 hours of being open (usually 11-1), but after that the lines for the slides grow quickly.

-No Flash Passes, but none are normally needed, except on special event days

Best time to go to the park

- Weekdays During The Summer

- Weekends very early in the season

Food Recommendations

- Nicktoon's Cafe, Outback Shack, and Maggie Brown (KGA29)

- Food Festival is a nice food court with tons of options. They even offered Dole whips last year (KGA29)

Ride Recommendations

- Flight Deck- One of the older B&M inverts. Short, but intense throughout the entire ride. Very smooth. (KGA29)

- Firefall- Great Huss Top Spin program along with some amazing fire effects and water cannons/fountains. Since it's new, it generates long lines. (KGA29)

- Survivor: the Ride- Zamperla Disk-O Coaster with water misting tikis and fire torches. Great ride, but lines are long and move slowly. (KGA29)

-Carousel Columbia- Classic huge double-decker carousel. Never has long lines at all. (KGA29)

-Delta Flyer/Eagles Flight- A classic "bucket" style ride from one side of the park to the other with a bird's eye view of everything. An old ride that isn't seen often nowadays. Not usually a good use of time for transportation as lines are generally pretty long. But for the view, it's great. (KGA29)

Cedar Point

Park Management

-Do Maverick, Top Thrill Dragster, and Millennium Force first, as those are currently the most popular coasters and get crowded the quickest.

-An enjoyable day consists of starting at Raptor, Blue Streak, Wicked Twister, etc. (the rides at the front of the park) and work your way to the back.

-Cedar Point is completely flat and easy to walk through and maneuver through. There are no stray paths or anything of the sort, it's basically just one big circle.

- Entering the park through the Magnum Gate is the best place to go in the morning to get to Maverick or Dragster quickly, Marina Gate is best for Millennium Force. If you have early entry privileges, get there well before early entry opening as there is usually lines

- Always check the Cedar Point website (and the Getaway Guide) for coupons, I got $20 off a night at Hotel Breakers for example. To get the cheapest rooms at CP Properties like Hotel Breakers, get in early

Best Time to Go to the Park

- Go in early May and everything is a walk-on...all 17 coasters, plus their flat rides are do-able in a half-day. Up to mid-June there are relatively light crowds on weekdays.

- Monday through Thursday are the ideal days to go.

- Avoid July and August.

Food Recommendations

- Subway (FeelTheForce)

- Panda Express near Millennium Force's entrance (FeelTheForce)

- Chik-Fil-A near Maverick's exit (FeelTheForce)

-Joe Cool Cafe (great for taking kids) near the new Planet Snoopy (FeelTheForce)

- Diner near Corkscrew's corkscrews (FeelTheForce)

- Toft's Ice Cream Parlor near Demon Drop (FeelTheForce)

- Stuffed Pretzels near Magnum's entrance and Witche's Wheel (FeelTheForce)

- TGI Friday's in the Breakers Hotel (FeelTheForce)

Ride Recommendations

- Must-dos are Top thrill Dragster, Millennium Force, Maverick, Raptor, Mantis, Wicked Twister, Blue Streak, Magnum XL 200, Gemini, Iron Dragon, Corkscrew, Mean Streak, MaXair, Power Tower, and Skyhawk (FeelTheForce)

Dorney Park

Park Management

- if you are looking to get the credits start at Wild Mouse at opening as the line for the ride becomes very long as the day moves on

- if you are just looking to have an enjoyable day, start at Talon and work your way counterclockwise around the park

- those with bad hips, knees or backs may want to invest in or bring some sort of support or even a wheelchair due to the terrain of the park from front to back

- during the summer, hit up as much of Dorney as you can from 10-3 as most of the park guests will be at Wildwater Kingdom - lines will get much longer throughout the day as people leave the waterpark

- May and September are very slow months

- Octobers during the day are very slow

- Monday - Thursday are the best days to go during the summer months

Food Recommendations

- Center Stage Fries - excellent fresh cut fries at a decent price. They also offer a pretty good deal on Mozzarella Sticks. (Hercules)

Ride Recommendations

- The Whip - A classic ride that has withstood a couple of fires (Hercules)

- The Meteor - A surprisingly intense, and somewhat unique flat ride (Hercules)

- Laser - A great, and very intense, portable Schwarzkopf looper that has been rumored for years to be leaving the park (Hercules)

Michigan's Adventure

Park Management

-If you aren't one of those "all day" park goers, then between June and Labor Day come after 12 noon, because most rides are walk-ons while the water park is open.

-You are walking on everything anytime during the two weekends they are open after Labor Day.

-Generally avoid Saturdays in late June through middle August. There's going to be irritating waits for rides that aren't plain worth it.

-Tuesdays are the best day to go, with even the busiest hours having walk-ons on most everything.

-You can do this park in less than 2.5 hours if you know what to ride and when to ride it. Recommened order: Arrive at 1:30, Zoomer, Corkscrew, Mad Mouse, Falling Star, Flying T©rapeze, Timbers, Wildcat, Timbers, Train to GR, GR, Adventure Falls, (RipCord- only on special times), Both Hydro Blasters, Water Park. Repeat minus Water park and some flats and you can be done by 5.

- Shivering Timbers can get up to an hour or more on some days, but most summer weekdays you wont find it longer than just off the ramp. It rarely fills the extra queue area except on midsummer Saturdays

- Wolverine Wildcat gets longer than ST's line due to the single train. Also right near the park's garbage compactors, so the stench can get very intoxicating. If you see the line from the walk way more than 20-25 deep, then its not really worth the time.

- Mad Mouse line is ridiculous when the park first opens for some reason, this is one of those "ride when everyone else is at the water park" rides

- Corkscrew: Its this simple: if you see people outside the station, dont ride it.

- Zach's Zoomer: Another "avoid at the beginning of the day" ride, because people can get in line before they open, so just wait. 3-5 PM is the best time to ride this one, you can get up to 8-10 times per hour if you want.

Ride Recommendations

- Shivering Timbers - Obviously. Some people who have access to other parks frequently wont give this a higher rating than I would, but since I live in town, its the best woodie I have ever ridden. It does get rough at times, and isn't one of those "get off and get right back on over and over again" coasters. It goes fast, it goes far, ride it. (MiAdventureMan87)

- Wildcat- This ride all depends on where you sit. It can be EXTREMELY rough if you sit in the wrong seat, but other than that its okay, and its a good thrill. (MiAdventureMan87)

- Zach's Zoomer - I love this ride. Its a smaller coaster that isn't weak. Just ride it and see. A perfect coaster to get someone into thrill rides. (MiAdventure87)

- Corkscrew - Its one of the first Corkscrews around, and the first corkscrew to have the supports it has, rather than the one at CP, if I am not mistaken. Ride for nostalgic purposes only, as this ride only lasts 44 seconds IF you count the lift (17 without). (MiAdventureMan87)

Food Recommendations

- This park has all of the usual Cedar Fair garb, a Coasters, themed food stands, etc. I would still bring my own lunch, as the food areas are not very well kept (Neither are CP's if you look at it). They have a Kettle Corn stand that makes utterly spectacular Kettle Corn. Buy Kettle Corn there. Even if you aren't hungry. (MiAdventureMan87)

Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom

Park Management

- If you are looking for credits, start the day at Roadrunner Express, followed by Thunder Run, T2, and the rest of the coasters should have short lines

- If you are looking for an enjoyable day, across the bridge first, and end your day with the front of the park

- Splashwater Kingdom will be extremely crowded all summer, so do all the slides as soon as it opens, and leave before 1:30 CST

- The park is very flat and easy to maneuver

- The Northeast Territory section of the park (Twins and MHF) will be closed for the 2008 season

- Flashpasses are very cheap here

- Weekdays during the summer

- Sundays and Saturday mornings in October

- AVOID VISITING ON SATURDAYS!

Food Recommendations

- The park does not offer many food options, but your best bet is the Papa Johns buffet near the park entrance (DBru)

Ride Recommendations

- Thunder Run: a woodie with potential to be one of the best out there- loaded with speed and airtime (DBru)

- Chang: on of B&M's best stand-up coasters (DBru)

- Greezed Lightnin': The park's hidden gem- a great Schwartzkopf shuttle loop that hardly ever has a line (DBru)

Valleyfair

Park Management

- You won't find many lines here unless you're running into a summer weekend. If you know what you want to ride and when, you can fit everything in one day very easily.

- If you want higher thrills and more fun, go to the right after you enter. If you want more family oriented thrills along with the parks only looping coaster, go left.

- White Water Country Waterpark is a very popular place during the summer, so if you're planning on being there most of the day, go there early, and set up place at one of many layback chairs.

- The park is very easy to navigate, but don't forget that there's more rides on the path behind Renegade!

- There are no flashpasses, but there aren't that bad of lines, so you shouldn't run into any trouble with line times.

- Weekday During The Summer

- Halloween Haunt - Earlier in the season, as the lines for the haunts can get up to 3 hours on a Saturday later in the Haunt Season

- September Weekends

Food Recommendations

- Definitely hit up Coasters Drive-In, or Ben&Jerry's. Both very good places to chow down! (Vffreak07)

Ride Recommendations

-Renegade -:- World class GCI. Great fast paced ride, with lots of little pops of air, and lots of great twists & turns. (Vffreak07)

-Wild Thing -:- Morgan Hypercoaster. Not the most thrilling hypercoaster in the country, but still a great ride. Very fun, and you can see most of the park if not all of it from the ride at any time. 207 ft. drop - Max Speed of 74 M.P.H (Vffreak07)

-Xtreme Swing -:- A very tall & fun S&S XL Screamin Swing. Lines during the middle of the summer can look long, but considering it's 40 people per cycle, and cycle's are short, shouldn't take to long to get through the line. (Vffreak07)

- High Roller -:- Great classic woodie. Lots of bunny hops, turns, and fun. Lots of trims though (Vffreak07)

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Please keep yours going. I know that Dave was compiling some stuff for SFMM, SFGAd, and CP. Eventually I'd like to have EVERY park done though and we'll launch the 'tips' section with our new park index that is nearing completion!

So keep the good tips coming!

I really like this thread!

SFKK

Park Management

- If you are looking for credits, start the day at Roadrunner Express, followed by Thunder Run, T2, and the rest of the coasters should have short lines

- If you are looking for an enjoyable day, across the bridge first, and end your day with the front of the park

- Splashwater Kingdom will be extremely crowded all summer, so do all the slides as soon as it opens, and leave before 1:30 CST

- The park is very flat and easy to maneuver

- The Northeast Territory section of the park (Twins and MHF) will be closed for the 2008 season

- Flashpasses are very cheap here

- Weekdays during the summer

- Sundays and Saturday mornings in October

- AVOID VISITING ON SATURDAYS!

Food Recommendations

- The park does not offer many food options, but your best bet is the Papa Johns buffet near the park entrance

Ride Recommendations

- Thunder Run: a woodie with potential to be one of the best out there- loaded with speed and airtime

- Chang: on of B&M's best stand-up coasters

- Greezed Lightnin': The park's hidden gem- a great Schwartzkopf shuttle loop that hardly ever has a line

Cedar Point

Park Management

-Do Maverick, Top Thrill Dragster, and Millennium Force first, as those are currently the most popular coasters and get crowded the quickest.

-An enjoyable day consists of starting at Raptor, Blue Streak, Wicked Twister, etc. (the rides at the front of the park) and work your way to the back.

-It's been a few years since I have been to Soak City, so I don't really have that much info or tips regarding it, hopefully someone else can add to this.

-Cedar Point is completely flat and easy to walk through and maneuver through. There are no stray paths or anything of the sort, it's basically just one big circle.

-I've never gone after August, but I always go in early May and everything is a walk-on...all 17 coasters, plus their flat rides re doable ina half-day. Up to, I'd say, mid-June there are relatively light crowds on weekdays.

-Monday through Thursday are the ideal days to go.

-I'd avoid July and August.

Food Recommendations

-Subway.

-Panda Express near Millennium Force's entrance.

-Chik-Fil-A near Maverick's exit.

-Joe Cool Cafe (great for taking kids) near the new Planet Snoopy.

-Diner near Corkscrew's corkscrews.

-Toft's Ice Cream Parlor near Demon Drop.

-Stuffed Pretzels near Magnum's entrance and Witche's Wheel (Enterprise).

-TGI Friday's in the Breakers Hotel.

Ride Recommendations

-Must-dos are Top thrill Dragster, Millennium Force, Maverick, Raptor, Mantis, Wicked Twister, Blue Streak, Magnum XL 200, Gemini, Iron Dragon, Corkscrew, Mean Streak, MaXair, Power Tower, and Skyhawk. I will elaborate on some of them.

-Top Thrill Dragster - Intamin Strata Coaster. 420 feet tall at 120 MPH. One of the biggest rushes you will ever feel. A must-do for every coaster enthusiast.

-Millennium Force - 310 feet tall Intamin Giga Coaster. Another big rush.

-Maverick - Intamin Terra Coaster. Packed full of airtime, quick transitions, and a 'surprise' in the middle.

-Raptor - A unique B&M Invert that is ranked highly amongst many people.

-Mantis - A B&M Stand-up. Unique experience if you have never been on a stand-up. Just remember to brace yourself.

-Magnum XL 200 - The first roller coaster to exceed 200 feet. A classic that is filled with airtime. For extra airtime sit in the "ejector seat,"which is the third row.

-Gemini - A classic racing coaster. Still smooth as ever and a fun experience. This is one of the few coasters that still takes my stomach.

-Skyhawk - The tallest and fastest S&S Screamin' Swing in the world. A great ride where you feel like you are going to fall out onto the people below you looking up. The cycle is a little short, though.

-MaXair - Similar to Skyhawk, only you spin slightly so you are in a different position every time you swing. The cycle on this is pretty long, too.

Things to do Besides the Park

-Challenge Park, which is located right outside the Magnum park entrance gate. They have two 18-hole mini-golf courses, two go-kart tracks, a Rip-Cord, and new for 2008 Skyscraper.

-Cedar Point is on a peninsula, so there is a beach.

Valleyfair

Park Management

- You won't find many lines here unless you're running into a summer weekend. If you know what you want to ride and when, you can fit everything in one day very easily.

- If you want higher thrills and more fun, go to the right after you enter. If you want more family oriented thrills along with the parks only looping coaster, go left.

- White Water Country Waterpark is a very popular place during the summer, so if you're planning on being there most of the day, go there early, and set up place at one of many layback chairs.

- The park is very easy to navigate, but don't forget that there's more rides on the path behind Renegade!

- There are no flashpasses, but there aren't that bad of lines, so you shouldn't run into any trouble with line times.

-Weekday During The Summer

-Halloween Haunt - Earlier in the season, as the lines for the haunts can get up to 3 hours on a Saturday later in the Haunt Season.

-September Weekends.

Food Recommendations

- Definitely hit up Coasters Drive-In, or Ben&Jerry's. Both very good places to chow down!

Ride Recommendations

-Renegade -:- World class GCI. Great fast paced ride, with lots of little pops of air, and lots of great twists & turns.

-Wild Thing -:- Morgan Hypercoaster. Not the most thrilling hypercoaster in the country, but still a great ride. Very fun, and you can see most of the park if not all of it from the ride at any time. 207 ft. drop - Max Speed of 74 M.P.H

-Xtreme Swing -:- A very tall & fun S&S XL Screamin Swing. Lines during the middle of the summer can look long, but considering it's 40 people per cycle, and cycle's are short, shouldn't take to long to get through the line.

-High Roller -:- Great classic woodie. Lots of bunny hops, turns, and fun. Lots of trims though

Extras

-Challenge Park is an added section of the park that includes 2 - 18 Hole Mini-Golf Courses, Go Karts, a Ripcord, and Bumper Boats.[/b]

Park Management

- The longest lines in the park are for Flight Deck, Survivor, Firefall, and Invertigo, so hit those early! Also water ride lines can get huge on hot days.

-The circular shape of the park makes it difficult for effective touring, so I recommend starting with Flight Deck and Firefall, but then touring in a counter-clockwise rotation.

-The water park is empty for its first 2 hours of being open (usually 11-1), but after that the lines for the slides grow quickly.

-No Flash Passes, but none are normally needed, except on special event days

-Weekday During The Summer

-Weekends very early in the season. Don't know about how Halloween Haunt will affect October crowds.

Food Recommendations

- Nicktoon's Cafe, Outback Shack, and Maggie Browns are all decent.

- Food Festival is a nice food court with tons of options. They even offered Dole whips last year (not quite as good as Disney though)

Ride Recommendations

-Flight Deck- One of the older B&M inverts. Short, but intense throughout the entire ride. Very smooth.

-Firefall- Great Huss Top Spin program along with some amazing fire effects and water cannons/fountains. Since it's new, it generates long lines.

-Survivor: the Ride- Zamperla Disk-O Coaster with water misting tikis and fire torches. Great ride, but lines are long and move slowly.

-Carousel Columbia- Classic huge double-decker carousel. Never has long lines at all.

-Delta Flyer/Eagles Flight- A classic "bucket" style ride from one side of the park to the other with a bird's eye view of everything. An old ride that isn't seen often nowadays. Not usually a good use of time for transportation as lines are generally pretty long. But for the view, it's great.

Extras

-Summer of 08 introduces an all new Ice skating show in the Great America Theater towards the front of the park

Can I add to Cedar Point -

Weekdays on the last week of August / first week of September (i.e. last week they are open every weekdays) I have found had pretty light crowds though the park does close earlier.

Entering the park through the Magnum Gate is the best place to go in the morning to get to Maverick or Dragster quickly, Marina Gate is best for Millennium Force. If you have early entry privileges, get there well before early entry opening as there is usually lines.

Always check the Cedar Point website (and the Getaway Guide) for coupons, I got $20 off a night at Hotel Breakers for example. To get the cheapest rooms at CP Properties like Hotel Breakers, get in early.

It might also be worth mentioning how to get to Cedar Point properties from the airport without a car as this is a little tricky, I know I certainly could have used this information when I first visited there.

Michigan's Adventure

Park Management:

-If you aren't one of those "all day" park goers, then between June and Labor Day come after 12 noon, because most rides are walk-ons while the water park is open.

-You are walking on everything anytime during the two weekends they are open after Labor Day.

-Generally avoid Saturdays in late June through middle August. There's going to be irritating waits for rides that aren't plain worth it.

-Tuesdays are the best day to go, with even the busiest hours having walk-ons on most everything.

-You can do this park in less than 2.5 hours if you know what to ride and when to ride it. I recommend this order: Arrive at 1:30, Zoomer, Corkscrew, Mad Mouse, Falling Star, Flying T©rapeze, Timbers, Wildcat, Timbers, Train to GR, GR, Adventure Falls, (RipCord- only on special times), Both Hydro Blasters, Water Park. Repeat minus Water park and some flats and you can be done by 5.

Longest Lines:

Shivering Timbers: Can get up to an hour or more on some days, but most summer weekdays you wont find it longer than just off the ramp. It rarely fills the extra queue area except on midsummer Saturdays

Wolverine Wildcat: Actually gets longer than ST's line due to the single train. Also right near the park's garbage compactors, so the stench can get very intoxicating. If you see the line from the walk way more than 20-25 deep, then its not really worth the time.

Mad Mouse: The line is ridiculous when the park first opens for some reason, this is one of those "ride when everyone else is at the water park" rides

Corkscrew: Its this simple: if you see people outside the station, dont ride it.

Zach's Zoomer: Another "avoid at the beginning of the day" ride, because people can get in line before they open, so just wait. 3-5 PM is the best time to ride this one, you can get up to 8-10 times per hour if you want.

Ride Recommendations:

Shivering Timbers: Obviously. Some people who have access to other parks frequently wont give this a higher rating than I would, but since I live in town, its the best woodie I have ever ridden. It does get rough at times, and isn't one of those "get off and get right back on over and over again" coasters. It goes fast, it goes far, ride it.

Wildcat: This ride all depends on where you sit. It can be EXTREMELY rough if you sit in the wrong seat, but other than that its okay, and its a good thrill.

Zach's Zoomer: I love this ride. Its a smaller coaster that isn't weak. Just ride it and see. A perfect coaster to get someone into thrill rides.

Corkscrew: Its one of the first Corkscrews around, and the first corkscrew to have the supports it has, rather than the one at CP, if I am not mistaken. Ride for nostalgic purposes only, as this ride only lasts 44 seconds IF you count the lift (17 without).

All of the flats are pretty poor. They are all carnival rides basically, they have putt putt cars and the Trapeze, but other than that, meh. This park BADLY needs a new flat ride. However there are some good water rides, and the log ride is a great one.

The Water Park is where this park makes its money. You dont have to pay to get in there like you do at other parks, and after going to Soak City last year, I can safely say that MiA's Water Park is better than Soak City. The Funnel O' Fear is a great ride, and the two big tube slides (like the 3+ person ones) are fun. Most of the other slides are worth it and they have three wave pools and a Lazy River. They also have an enormous kids water park area with one of those giant bucket things that dumps over everything.

Food Recommendations:

This park has all of the usual Cedar Fair garb, a Coasters, themed food stands, etc. I would still bring my own lunch, as the food areas are not very well kept (Neither are CP's if you look at it). They have a Kettle Corn stand that makes utterly spectacular Kettle Corn. Buy Kettle Corn there. Even if you aren't hungry.

Extras:

They have a very tough Mini Golf course and a good Go-Kart track. They have a kiddie Go Kart track too. They also have the second highest RipCord (according to wikipedia) in the CF chain at 183 feet.

[/b]

Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk

Park Management

- Even in 1 train mode, don't let a little line chase you away. They are very effective loading and unloading passengers on the Giant Dipper

- SCBB's pretty much flat ride heaven, with a more than decent collection of your carnival flats without the cheap carnival feel.

- SCBB's 1 long strip, so may as well start at 1 end and work your way down.

- Park is free admission, so non-riding people can enjoy the walk along the beach or check out the shops as well as a session of mini-golf and other activities. If you plan on riding all day, do the wrist band. If you just want to ride the Dipper, just get some tickets. They're a very flexible park leaving you with plenty options.

-Do come prepared - bring a jacket if you get cold easily, fog is unpredictable as you are at the ocean.

- I've actually gone on the 4th of July which fell on a Tuesday. Boardwalk was crowded but that was about it. The beach was very crowded. Rides had short lines, topping off at 15 minutes.

- Sundays are moderate during summer, slightly longer-looking lines, very efficient staff keeps the line moving instead of standing there forever. Actually, Summer is when I would prefer visiting the boardwalk as it won't be cold.

Food Recommendations

- Haven't purchased boardwalk food in a long time, so no help there. There is a nearby liquor store by the carousel where you can get sodas and snacks for cheap...don't mind it's rough/ghetto appearance.

Ride Recommendations

- Giant Dipper, star attraction, period. Do not miss it.

- Double Shot is pretty fun, it's shorter size (125 ft) and powerful launch gives you plenty of air at the top...twice over!

- Wipeout, breakdancer. If you like riding in the dark but aren't staying at SCBB till dark, then hit this up if you want a fast ride in the dark. At some points, it is *almost* pitch black. It's even fun to watch while in line as the hi-quality light show keeps your mind busy. If you're light-sensitive, then maybe steer clear as there are many strobes constantly swirling around the room

-Hurricane - Small, but intense coaster. Great views of the park as it's perched on top of the restaurants and bumper cars below.

-Be sure to hit Rock-o-plane as well, a classic not to be missed. Also check out the carousel, one of the few to still use rings to throw into a target.

Adventureland

(Altoona, Iowa)

Park Management

-First of all, expect to be treated well at this park. The admission price is a little hefty, but the employees are some of the friendliest in the midwest, and, IMO, rival those of Holiday World (not to toot my own horn, of course), so you may end up considering it completely worth it.

-If you just want the credits (which I do NOT recommend - to enjoy your Adventureland experience, you need to take it slow), I would go left immediately from the entrance and walk all the way back to Outlaw, since that usually has the longest lines (if there actually are lines, which there more than likely won't be). Backtrack from there to Dragon, but only if you are absolutely sure you really do want the credit. Then do Tornado and Underground on your way out. But don't do that. That's a terrible way to spend your day.

-For maximum enjoyment, begin with a lovely skyride to the back of the park, followed by a short walk to Outlaw Gulch. There, it is in your interest to ride Sawmill Splash. The line will be outrageous later, even if the weather is less than favorable. Once finished, explore and enjoy at your leisure.

Best Time to Visit

-Super-hot days are NEVER good, no matter how beautiful or ugly the sky is. Iowans see "88 degrees" in the paper and think "Adventureland!", even if there's also a 75% chance of precipitation.

-Go on a cooler day at the beginning or end of the season.

Food

-Mini-doughnuts. Way better than anything you'll find outside the heart of the midwest. Do not skip these if you live on a coast. If you don't live on a coast, you know how delicious good mini-doughnuts are and you won't want to miss them either.

-There's not all that much else to speak of in the food department. If I were you, I would pack some sandwiches and feast with a hand stamp.

Rides to Ride

-Splash Over: New for 2006. Splash Over is a Moser topspin with some interesting effects. Guys: don't sit on the end if you are happy with your current gender.

-Sky Ride: It's not much to look at, but I really do consider it one of the better sky rides still in existence. Taller park-goers may brush a few treetops.

-G-Force: A simple Breakdance ride. It's nothing you haven't seen before, but it's always fun to take a spin.

-Falling Star: DO NOT SKIP THIS RIDE. It looks just like every other Falling Star on Earth, but it runs way better.

-Sawmill Splash: This unique attraction is the perfect way to cool off, even for guests who aren't big on the whole "soaking wet" thing. Typically, you won't get drenched if you have fewer than four people in the raft. Plop down with five of your closest friends, though, and you're in for some serious water damage and possibly a hair-raising moment or two of airtime.

-Tornado: Classic out-and-back woodie. Good airtime, good speed. Decent ride all the way through.

-River Rapids Log Ride: Don't ask me why the Log Ride is called River Rapids. I don't think it makes sense either. This is one of those rare rides that can be enjoyed by both waterphobes and near-fish. With the proper seating, the H2O-haters will barely get sprinkled and the swimmers will get soaked.

-Raging River: This is the actual river rapids ride. It's a little out of the way, but I like it.

-Space Shot: After exiting this ride, you may ask yourself, "Did I really just get all of that extroadinary airtime on an S&S tower?". Yes, you did. This baby is substantially shorter than its twin sisters at Cedar Point and its brother at Valleyfair!, but it's a heck of a lot more powerful.

-Sidewinder: Beautiful Moser frisbee. Personally, I'd rather ride this than maXair some days.

-Outlaw: Saved the best for last. This rascal barely hits 70 feet, but it's wilder than a pack of hungry jack-russel terriers.

Rides to Skip

-Inverter: Yes, unfortunately there is an Inverter at Adventureland.

-Dragon: Dragon is, I believe, the last OD Hopkins coaster to use OTSRs. And they suck. A lot. They are totally useless. All they do is try to collapse your lungs and cause a lot of ear pain. Even without the OTSRs, the ride would be utter crap. It has nothing going for it. The drop is nearly as steep as the lift hill, the loops are all positive and no interesting, the helicies are jarring and the finale is nonexistant. As I said earlier, this is only for true credit-whores.

-Underground: Don't feel bad if you're pressed for time and have to skip Underground. I promise, it's nothing you'll ever feel any need to do again. In fact, you may wonder why you decided to do it in the first place. Underground hast to be the lamest excuse for a roller coaster in America. The theming is boring and badly done, some of the transitions are jarring, and the whole thing is taken and a whopping ten miles per hour or so. The area could have been much better used. I deem this ride a waste of space.

Extras

-No need to check out the whole show, but every so often, a stage rises out of the ground to reveal a troupe of performers singing horrible arrangements of tacky songs: an amusement park staple.

-Adventureland is the only park I know of that offers Bingo. It's only $.25 a game, you get two boards, the room is air conditioned, and the prizes aren't too shabby.

-New for 2008 is Kokomo Kove, a large water play area behind Outlaw. It is slated to open in June.

-Also behind Outlaw is the Royal Hanneford Circus. I'm nut a circus nut myself, but it seems to be fairly popular.

Six Flags Magic Mountain

Park Management

- Recently, the park has been operating their rides very well with most rides having 2-3 train operations

- I suggest running straight to X2 as the park opens, then get your flashpasses, Go to DejaVu, and then just work your way around the park

-Wear Cargo Shorts with Zippered Pockets when you go so you don't have to constantly buy lockers.

- West Coast Bash.

- Sundays in the spring and fall are fine. Weekdays usually arn't that crowded, but just DON"T go on a Saturday.

Food Recommendations

- Mooseburger Lodge. It has air conditioning, which is a blessing on a hot day. Decent Food.

Ride Recommendations

- X2, All the fun of X, but now with music and fire!

- Tatsu, The Best B&M Flyer there is. (At least for now.)

- Riddlers Revenge, The Best B&M Stand Up

-Batman the Ride, Great B&M found all over the world

-Goliath, Fun hyper coaster. While it severly lacks in airtime, it certainly doesn't lack in Helixes of death.

-Scream, IMO, The Best Parking Lot Coaster there is.

DejaVu, Great Boomerang with one hell of a lifthill.

-All the other coasters, They're fun.

Adding to CGA as I'm a frequent visitor usually satisfied with my accomplishments at the end of the day.

Park Management

- Bring some sun screen, the only shaded station is Grizzly, coaster-wise.

- Try to do water rides early in the day, or later on especially when it's hot. The rapids closes before park closing, so probably hit that up prior to ride closing, lines may tame down a bit

- Looking for a quick soak on those hot days? Stand on the White Water Falls bridge or wait for the geyser to go off in Nickeodeon Central, or try some of the other water features in Nick Central.

-Try Invertigo earlier in the day, or towards closing...avoid in mid day when the sun is at it's peak. Slow lines and direct sun will probably lead to a bad sunburn if you burn easily

-I've been visiting Sundays, getting there around 1:00 or so, and conquered a huge majority of the rides and still have time for re-rides

Food Recommendations

- I usually eat prior to getting there to save park time...I'll eat along the way. Do buy a souvenir cup though if you don't want to keep spending 5 bucks for a soda. Initial price may seem steep, but it's cheap refills for the rest of the season, and a souvenir cup!

Ride Recommendations

- Do Invertigo as early as possible (Longest/slowest line experienced) without going out of your way. Hit up rides along the way to getting to Invertigo.

- Don't worry about Grizzly if the line is long...though I'm sure most people know that already

Extras

-Summer of 08 introduces an all new Ice skating show in the Great America Theater towards the front of the park. (Adding to this) This may be a great way to escape the summer heat. Not sure how cool the theater will be inside, but do give it a try.

-If you plan on buying any stuff souvenir-wise, do at the end of the day especially if you don't want to carry around a bunch of stuff. This is a given for any park actually.

-Though there is a lack of station/queue shade, the park does offer shade throughout the rest of the park (Tunnel by Invertigo, Demon exit/queue area, bridges entering kiddie area and Orlean's Place, anywhere that has trees really)

Islands of Adventure

Park Management

- Use the single rider lines if they have them. They are especially effective for Spiderman, Dr. Doom, and Incredible Hulk. Sometimes they're available, but not actively advertised.

- The best time to try and ride Ptyranadon Flyers is right after park opening. During the first 30 minutes (or so), the park will relax its "kids needed" policy

-Dueling Dragons has a "re-ride" entrance. Sometimes it is closed off, but others times it's not, resulting in bypassing the long queue.

-IOA does not allow loose articles on rides, but cargo pockets are usually okay. The park does provide free lockers for limited time intervals.

- The park does sell "Express Passes" to allow bypassing the lines on busy days.

Food Recommendations

- Mythos - A sit-down restaurant. It's been nominated the top theme park restaurant, but that's questionable.

Ride Recommendations

- Dueling Dragons - Dueling B&M inverteds. Be sure to ride the front seat on Ice

- Flying Unicorn - One of the greatest Roller Skaters ever

- Incredible Hulk - Launched B&M multilooper

- Spiderman - One of the best simulator/dark rides around

- Dr. Doom's freefall - A pair of S&S Space Shot towers

- Jurassic Park River Adventure - A themed boat ride with a large drop

- Dudley Do-Right's Ripsaw Falls - A well themed flume ride. The park recently added lapbars to the ride, greatly reducing capacity, so lines can be long, especially on hot days

- Popeye and Bluto's Barges - A well themed rapids ride with a "car wash" section

- Cat in the Hat - A good dark ride, with some spinning

So I thought is would make sense to do a U.K. park so here goes...

Flamingo Land Resort, North Yorkshire, UK

Park Management

-Do Velocity and Kumali first as these rides get the longest queue, if it is a hot summers day you should also get the water rides (Splash Battle and Lost River Ride) out of the way early, during lunch or at the end of the day as these will be busy.

-A weird fast pass system involving using your phone to text the system is also available for £5 per person but is not needed unless you find the park to be very busy.

-There are no real lockers in the park but to be honest it is a small park and lockers are not needed.

-Unfortunately this park does not offer single rider lines but they are not needed.

-This park is never that busy and queues from the 2 'main' coasters never really go over one hour so any time of the year should do.

-If you do want to avoid the crowds just don't go on a day that is both a weekend and a public holiday.

Food Recommendations

-There are no real known food brands at the park and the menu is almost the same everywhere so just eat where its not busy and as always don't eat when everyone else is between 12 and 1.

Ride Recommendations

Rides to do:

-Kumali - A ccustomvekoma SLC but probably one f the best SLC's out there.

-Velocity - A 55mph vekoma moterbike launch coaster which is a fun and different eexperience

-There are lots of other fun rides but they can be found at other parks too!

Rides to avoid:

-Unless you want the credit so badly I would avoid Corkscrew. I would also avoid Sky Flyer which is just damn painful!

Places to stay

-The park has a full caravan/holiday home park with pool, shop and it is right next to the park!

Things to do Besides the Park

-The park is situated near York a city with shops, bars and a viking museum if you are sad like that.

-It is also near Scarborough a seaside town with beach, speedboats, golf and a rubbish fair.

-Another hour away is theme park Lightwater Valley

Thanks a lot for all of the great tips! I just updated the first page with a couple, but I'll do a lot more later. I just wanted to get started. Plus, thanks for putting them into format! I thought I was going to have to do that! That helps A LOT!

SIX FLAGS AMERICA

Park Management.......................

- I recomend going straight to Batwing as soon as you get there. Even on weekdays during the summer, this ride has 45 minutes to hour long queue. Then go to Superman and Joker's Jinx. Those lines do't usually end up as long as Batwing but they are close and fun.

- If you are looking for water rides as soon as you enter, make a left pass the Freedom show in the Grand theater. Right next to the Grand theater is Shipwreck Falls, (if you want to get soaked), farther down, in Coyote Creek is Renegade Rapids, (everyone gets slpashed, but someone always gets soaked), and if you skip Renegade, make a right by Shipwreck Falls and you should see Skull Mountain, it usually doesn't open with the park but this flume is a must ride.

- Hurricane Harbor is the first left as soon as you enter the park. I recomend you put all of your belongings with a friend or in the lockers infont of the Grand theater. Then head straight to Tony Hawk's Halfpipe. Most people will go straight past Tony Hawk and head for the wavepool, so that is the time where the lines are the shortest. Tornado never has short lines but as soon as you get off Tony Hawk, the lines won't be as long as they will be in the afternoon. Paradise Plunge/Reef Runner, Baham Blast & Hammerhead/Mako Sharks also usually have long lines, but with most of the people going to Tony and Tornado, they should be alittle shorter. Hurricane Harbor is the most crowded section of the park (other than Gotham) so try to get there before noon and you should be ok.

- SFA is easy to nabigate if you know where you are going. I recomend geting a map. Also when you head to Batwing, make sure you use the bathroom before hiking up there. Also, you'd probably be smart buying food on your way to Batwing and Superman. Stop at Boardwalk Fries, Dip n Dots and Nutty Cart next to Penguin's Blizzard River and you should be ok. The rest of the park is one small circle.

Best Time To Go To The Park.................

- Weekdays during the summer. Thats when only summer camps and families are there. I also recomend going when the weater says slight chance of rain. You'll have the park to yourself! (don't go when it says its going to rain all day, then the coasters won't open)

- For Fright Fest, try to get there early. Sadly there is only one haunted house (there were two but the second one is now used as strorage. Its that huge bubble you see next to Two Face. It was called Brutal Planet and was my first haunted house) I recomend Sundays because its a school night and you wont have to deal with as much kids on Saturdays or Fridays.

Food Recomendations................

- I recomend buying a funnel cake at the funnel cake shop next to the carousel. Nobody knows about it and it's not as crowded as the Funnel Cake Factory on Mainstreet, Gotham Funnel Cakes, and The Lucky Albatross next to Shipwreck Falls. There might be a chance its not there anymore, I don't usually go over to that section of the park.

- The cheapest and best southern style food is found at the Crazy Horse Saloon in Coyte Creek. They sell ribs, fried chicken, collard greens, curly fries and more for about 11.99. (thats as cheap as SixFlags will ever get lol)

- The best burgers are found at the Skull Mountain Food Court.

- If you want to stand in the hot Maryland sun while waiting for your food, go to Gotham City Food Court. Everyone buys their food there but its not much different than Skull Island.

- The Pitstop next to Sonora Speedway is just a fancy name for Subway.

- Heritage House and Hollywood Cafe' are the best places to eat without getting sunburn. They are indoor!

- The waterpark has alot of options and a bar.

Ride Recomendations............

- The Wild One is a must ride classic woodie found in the Southwest Territory. It usually never has a long line.

- Batwing is one of the best flying coasters I've ever been on. The only problem is the wait. USE FLASHPASSES!!!

- Superman is the tallest and fastest in the park. I love the airtime you get on all of the hills sitting in the front row, but the back is just speed, speed,speed. There is no airtime on the second hill for the back, but the rest is airtime pie.

- Joker's Jinx has been down lately but it opens once in a while. I recomend riding that as soon as you see it operating. The front is the best no doubt.

- Roar is a woodie that is showing its age. Kind of bumpy but still enjoyable.

- Mind Eraser will eraser your mind, literally but I still find it fun.

-Two Face is scheuled to re-open in June. That is also a must ride. I loved going backwards upside down. My favorite seat is the seat closest to the cobra roll. The forces from that seat are amazing, especially when going through the loop backwards.

- Skull Mountian is a water ride that very fun and wet. It spits you out from the mouth of a skull in the finally. You'll be soaked and you'll have fun throughout the whole experience.

Extras...........

- Sonora Speedway is the parks go-kart track. it's not very long and it costs about $8 per person.

- Skycoaster is expensive and very thrilling.

- The games have awesome prizes and are always fun to play!

Things to do outside of SFA........

- Downtown Washington DC is only about 30 minutes away form SFA. I recomend visiting all of the mueseums and monumnets the city has to offer. My favorite museum is the Air and Space Museum. It has a little motion simulator ride where you are battling other helicopters. You can shoot them and flip the similator upside down. From the top of Superman, you can see the Washington Monument if it is clear enough.

- Bowie is a nice little town. It has a mall, movie theater, small hotels, paintball, go-kart track, skating rink, and small shopping centers and even a Carrabba's (if thats how you spell it). SFA actually is on the border of Bowie and Mitcheville. If you keep going past the huge church, you'll be in Bowie. Those are just the neighborhoods. Keep going straight and 301 will take you to Carrabba's.

- The National Harbor is a great new tourist attraction built on the Potomac River (across from Alexandria, VA) It has resorts and shopping. I recomend staying at one of the hotels at the National Harbor instead of anywhere else.

- Baltimore is about 45 minutes north of the park. With traffic it should take atleast a hour to get there. If you go there, visit the Baltimore Aquarium and the Harbor. There is a cool Dolphin show at the aquarium.(nothing like Sea World but still fun) There is shopping and pirate ships in the harbor that you can take the kids on and just enjoy yourself. There is also the Baltimore Zoo. It costs money to get in, but if you want to go to a free zoo in the area, The Smithsonian Zoo in Washington DC is the place to go.

- Ocean City is fun but its atleast 2 hours away from SFA. I recomend it anyways.

VISIT SFA WITH THESE TIPS AND YOUR DAY/VACATION WILL BE AWESOME EVERYTIME!!!

Busch Gardens Africa/Tampa

Park management

-Get there early!!! Lines for the rides are usually the shortest in the morning. Going clockwise starting with Gwazi should keep you ahead of the crowds.

-Rhino Rally-Check in early and often, you usually have a 50/50 chance the water section is working. If working, ride immediately.

-Ride Gwazi early to avoid the long sluggish line later in the day.

-Katonga is excellent and highly recommended.

-Because of the unusual layout, make sure you look around every corner or you just may miss something.

-Jungala is absolutely beautiful and a must see.

-Always get there before opening.

-Weekdays are always the best followed by Sundays.

-The best times of the year is January, February, early May, late September, and early December.

-October is fun for the Halloween event, but the park can get very busy at times.

Food Recommendations

-Crown Colony Restaurant located at the edge of Africa near Montu. Good food with self serve downstairs and full service dining upstairs overlooking the Serengeti plains. The food is reasonably priced.

-Desert Grill located in Timbuktu. Good food with family entertainment.

-Zambia Smokehouse located near SheiKra has great BBQ.

Ride Recommendations

Kumba-old school sit-down B&M and still one of the best.

SheiKra-the first B&M Dive coaster introduced in the US.

Montu-one of the top B&M inverts in the world.

Gwazi-good layout, but rough.

Scorpion-old school Schwarzkopf and still a family favorite.

Wild Mouse-it's really only good for the coaster credit.

Rhino Rally-pretty good with the water section, and below average without.

Congo Rapids-old school rapids that gets you very wet.

Stanley Falls-just your average log flume.

Serengeti Railway-train ride that takes you through the Serengeti plains.

Transportation

-Maars Destination Services offers Round Trip Motor Coach transportation from several Orlando area locations to Busch Gardens Tampa.

-The fare for round trip transportation is only $10.00 per person (payable at the Busch Gardens Service Desk once you arrive). Transportation is complimentary with the purchase of the Orlando Flex Ticket Plus.

-Maars Taxi services are also available.

-Info provided under Park Info, BG Shuttle at http://www.buschgardens.com/BGT/default.aspx

Valleyfair!

Park Management

- Head to Corkscrew, Wild Thing or Steel Venom first. Even though lines aren't totally bad, lines are usually moderate throughout the day that usually maximizes 30 minutes.

- Go to the right of the park (like where the Wave and Kidworks are). Head to the back by Renegade and Thunder Canyon then head the way you did not go.

Best time to go

- Weekdays for sure. However, if you really want to avoid lines, go at night where lines are short and everything looks beautiful.

- For Valleyscare, Go during the transition time between the family friendly time and the Valleyscare so you can actually ride the coasters. When I went last year, Most rides are closed.

Food Recommendations

- Ben and Jerry's is good especially Cherry Garcia in a waffle cone!

- Coasters makes good burgers, fries and shakes.

- Stadium Sports Grill also has really good cheese curds.

Ride Reccomendations

- Renegade is one of the best woodies I've been on. From the drop to the fly-by, it is one of the best in the Midwest.

- Wild Thing isn't the best coaster in the park, but it is a crowd pleaser even though it chucked a wheel.

- Steel Venom is a good impulse and it's an Intamin, need we say more?

- Thunder Canyon is a fun ride especially if your sister gets the bulk of the wetness.

Rides to Avoid

- Excalibur hurts and is rough. My dad even broke his thumb on the ride!

- Mad Mouse is OK. It isn't as rough, but in can hurt.

- From what I've heard, Riptide can force any guy to switch their gender.

- Avoid the water rides by the waterpark. they are pretty boring.

Other

- Take the time to visit Challenge Park. the go-karts are pretty cool.

- Get coupons at wherever the advertise it (right now I think its at Subway). That way you still have money for parking unless you have a season pass where parking is free.

King's Dominion

Park Management

Either head straight to Dominator, as it's line can reach an hour and a half by 11 AM, or head to Congo and ride Volcano straight away. One or the other. If you started at Dominator, head to Congo next for Volcano. After Volcano, hit up The Crypt since it's right there. It's a fun little ride (guys bewarned: It does hurt!). Now, head to Backlot Stunt Coaster. Try to ride Flight of Fear IF it's open. Then, just go through The Grove and Old Virginia and hit up anything else.

Best time to go

Weeknights and Sunday mornings.

Food Recommendations

Trail's End Grill by The Crypt. They have great french fries.

The Pizza Parlor by the Wave Swinger. GREAT pizza!

Jukebox Diney by Hurler and Ricochet. They too have good fries!

Ride Recommendations

Volcano.

Dominator.

The Crypt.

Drop Tower.

Rides to avoid

Hurler (very painful).

Rebel Yell (very painful).

Grizzly (very painful).

Anaconda (very painful).

Other

Check out the gift shop that you exit into from Volcano. They have some cool shirts.