Food Rollercoaster at a German restaurant

Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Don't make me kick you in the donkey!

Food Rollercoaster at a German restaurant

Postby verticalzero » Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:30 am

This idea looks a very cool one, the drinks and food even gets delivered to the tables outside.. A Food Rollercoaster :)

Love to see a POV of the courses which the food takes.

From the BBC Website:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/7335351.stm

Company's Website:

http://www.sbaggers.de/main-ger/?sid=home&lang=en

Designers Website:

http://www.heinemack.com/produkte.html

Germany has surely never produced anything quite as weird as the automated restaurant.

I say "restaurant" - but it actually looks more like a rollercoaster, with long metal tracks criss-crossing the dining area.

The tracks run all the way from the kitchen, high up in the roof, down to the tables, twisting and turning as they go. And down the tracks - in little pots with wheels fixed to the bottom - speeds food.

Supersonic sausages, high-pace pancakes and wine bottles whizzing down to the customers' tables with the help of good old gravity. One pot is spiralling down so fast, it looks like an Olympic bobsleigh (but it's only Bratwurst).

I wanted to come up with a complete new restaurant system

Michael Mack, restaurant owner

What's more, at the 's Baggers restaurant in Nuremberg, you don't need waiters to order food. Customers use touch-screen TVs to browse the menu and choose their meal.

You can even use the computers to send e-mails and text messages while you wait for the food to be cooked. But all this may not appeal to those who like traditional waiter service.

Meals on wheels

Up in the kitchen, it is man, not machine, that makes the food. They haven't found a way of automating the chef, just yet.

Everything is prepared from fresh. When it is ready, the meal is put in a pot and given a sticker and a colour to match the customer's seat.

Then it is put on the rails and despatched downhill to the correct table. Manna from heaven, German-style.

The restaurant is the brainchild of local businessman Michael Mack.

"I wanted to come up with a complete new restaurant system," Michael tells me, "one that would be more efficient and more comfortable".

Replacing waiters with helter-skelters and computers is fun for the customers. It also makes financial sense for the restaurant.

A plate of food whizzes down from the kitchen

"You can save labour costs," explains restaurant spokesperson Kyra Mueller-Siecheneder.

"You don't need the waiters to run to the customers, take the orders, run to the kitchen and back to the guests."

The restaurant has not completely done away with the human touch. There are still some staff on hand to explain to rather bemused customers how to use the technology.

But what do the punters here think? Do Germans really have the appetite for automated mealtimes?

"It's another art for eating. I like it!" one man raves.

"It's more for young people than old people," a woman tells me. "My mother was here yesterday and she needs my son's help to order."

Watching all this food raining down on the restaurant makes me ravenous. I decide that it is my turn to test the system. I order steak and salad on the computer and wait for it to appear. A few minutes later, a pot glides down to my table with my "fast food" - and it is delicious.

As I finish the meal and prepare to leave, one final thought crosses my mind. An automated meal doesn't only save the restaurant money, but the customer, too.

After all, in a restaurant without waiters, there is no need to leave a tip...
_44547822_auto_226.jpg
Viewed 1980 times
2008-02-21_skizze4_700_EN.jpg
Viewed 1980 times
2007-09-24_skizze5_700_EN.jpg
Viewed 1980 times
sBaggers_Biergarten_3.jpg
Viewed 1980 times
table3big.jpg
Viewed 1963 times
table2big.jpg
Viewed 1963 times
Foto5.jpg
Viewed 1963 times
Foto47.jpg
Viewed 1952 times
Foto52.jpg
Viewed 1952 times
"Roller coaster design is a science, as well as an art: a state of pure bliss".

--------------------------------------

Bonafide Donkey Expert

Postby zeke11793 » Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:36 am

That's awesome! A food roller coaster. :P We need some of these restaurants in America. :)
-Jezico

Pufferfish: everytime someone gets in trouble at dollywood, dolly slams her boobs against their face and knocks them out

Tumblr.

Flickr.

I'm a know-it-all about donkeys!

Postby coasterdude28 » Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:55 am

I love it! That is such a creative idea.

A donkey is a domesticated member of the Equidae or horse family.

Postby palmerleeberry » Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:42 am

WOW OH WOWEE WOW WOW!!! :lmao:

I would like to see that concept in America, maybe in a Mall or even at an amusement park restaurant itself. I'm sure the sight of seeing those "food on wheels" rolling down the track to the awaiting customers worth be well worth the price of admission itself, probably have more spectators watching the show than the customers eating at those tables.
I''m not perfect; I just love to ride!!! :airtime: :airtimer:

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby FLIPDUDE » Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:16 pm

Whoa... Flashback. I think I've seen this restaurant on TV yeeears ago. Does that make sense or is this a new restaurant?

Indiana Jones and the Temple of the Forbidden Donkey.

Postby Edward » Tue Apr 08, 2008 4:23 pm

Heh, neat! Reminds me of Chitti Chitti Bang Bang, apart from that the food isn't cooked by a Rube Goldberg machine. :)

BANTRONNED

Postby sfotfreak » Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:04 pm

Wow thats amazing! But why put this technology to food and not fighting in wars!

I Love Eli Manning!

Postby coastercrazed49 » Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:27 pm

This is the greatest idea ever! Why can't they do this at every restaurant?
EBL [9:16pm]: I'm not much into politics. I got turned off while Abraham Lincoln was in office.

Beware of the freeze-dried donkey!

Postby Tanks4me05 » Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:52 pm

Best... idea... ever. Das ist alles Ich muss für diese ausgezeichnete neuerfindung sagen.

-Tanks "Ich noch hoffe meine Deutsche Grammatik ist stimmt" 4me05.

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Tue Apr 08, 2008 6:28 pm

Darnit. :(

It's in Nuremberg, which isn't on the TPR Europe tour, I think.

Looks great. Worth one visit, if only for the novelty of it, lol.
Talk is cheap :idea: Action is Pricele$$

Next

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!