Cedar Point transportation and hotel question

trains, planes but no automobile
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I Love Donkeys!

Cedar Point transportation and hotel question

Postby CHROMEDOME » Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:45 am

My friends and I are planning a fat eastcoast/midwest trip this summer. But we are flying into NYC, then taking the train up to Albany. From there I was planning on flying to Cleveland then taking the train to Sandusky. Then some how getting to the Hotel Breakers. BTW anyone got any hotel suggestions? Hotel Breakers is a little more than we'd rather spend but its right in the park and you get in an hour early.

Short story shorter...

I need to get to cedar point from Cleveland airport and then back to the airport. And a hotel.

When I grow up, I want to breed donkeys!

Postby robinschroder » Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:27 am

When I went to Cedar Point from here in the UK, I flew into Cleveland. I don't drive and hiring a car wasn't an option, so I took the Greyhound bus to the Sandusky Greyhound stop, from where I took a taxi to Cedar Point / Hotel Breakers. That was the only way I could work out of doing it - although there may be better ways!

EDIT : I've just remembered why I didn't take the train to Sandusky - it was because the train only arrives (and departs) in the small hours of the morning / middle of the night. That's why I used the Greyhound bus - as it was possible to make the journey during the day.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby FLIPDUDE » Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:42 am

My first time in CP I arrived to Sandusky by Greyhound Bus and stayd at the Breakers Express which is alot further away than the regular Breakers, and I'd imagine cheaper.

We drove to the park by taxi, but I'm assuming some of the hotels might have shuttle services.

Postby Carnage » Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:55 am

FLIPDUDE wrote:My first time in CP I arrived to Sandusky by Greyhound Bus and stayd at the Breakers Express which is alot further away than the regular Breakers, and I'd imagine cheaper.

We drove to the park by taxi, but I'm assuming some of the hotels might have shuttle services.

None of the Cedar Point resorts have shuttles. Some of the non-CP resorts might.

Though from what I understand cabbing to/from the park isn't too expensive.

I think Intamin should make a donkey!

Postby Mike240SX » Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:00 am

Rent a car. It'll be much cheaper than a taxi and you're on your own schedule.
-Mike
RIP
Great American Scream Machine (SFGA): 1989 - 2010
Big Bag Wolf: 1984 - 2009
Laser: 1986 - 2008
Batman & Robin: The Chiller: 1997 - 2007
(This list needs to stop growing)

A donkey is a domesticated member of the Equidae or horse family.

Postby coolhandluke » Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:43 am

Carnage wrote:
FLIPDUDE wrote:We drove to the park by taxi, but I'm assuming some of the hotels might have shuttle services.

None of the Cedar Point resorts have shuttles. Some of the non-CP resorts might.

Not quite. Under the FAQ section of the resorts page...
Cedar Point's Website wrote:Do you have shuttles?
Courtesy vehicles are available on a first-come, first-serve basis to guests of Hotel Breakers, Sandcastle Suites, Camper Village, Lighthouse Point and Cedar Point Marina. To request a courtesy vehicle, call the front desk at Hotel Breakers or Sandcastle Suites. Guest should provide their name and the number in their party. Courtesy vehicle stop locations are:
Hotel Breakers (front entrance of building)
Sandcastle Suites (front entrance of building)
Camper Village (adjacent to registration office)
Lighthouse Point (near shuffleboard court and pool area)
Breakwater Café (at or near the cupola)
Bay Harbor (bay side, by fire hydrant)
Marina (near Famous Dave's BBQ where sign and bench are located)
Soak City/Challenge Park area (adjacent to RipCord in Soak City lot)
Pet Chek (along the fence line to Marina)

No mention if there is a price attached, and it isn't a tram-style shuttle, but the service is certainly available to the resorts EXCEPT Breakers Express. BTW, BE is is certainly cheaper than HB. A 2 night stay in May (that's when I'm going, so that's what I have numbers for) will set you back $148 for a normal room at Breakers Express, while Hotel Breakers' minimum is $280, with the average room being $360. The prices will go up for reservations later in the summer as well.

Postby Carnage » Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:21 pm

coolhandluke wrote:No mention if there is a price attached, and it isn't a tram-style shuttle, but the service is certainly available to the resorts EXCEPT Breakers Express.

Nor Castaway Bay.

What's the point of a shuttle if it's only offered to the hotels which are walking distance from the park?

My comment stands, there is no shuttle for the places where you'd need one. :lolr:

Postby downunder » Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:30 pm

This is something that really annoys me about Cedar Point, they make it really hard to get there from the mainland (so to speak) because they want their prescious parking fee, and you can't walk there on the causeway.

Hotel Breakers is definitely good value in the sense that you only need transport when you are arriving and leaving. The cheapest option is definitely greyhound to snadusy and then cab to Cedar Point. Note Cleveland Greyhound is not in the nicest part of town.

Another option which would be better for 3-4 people would be to get someone to pick you up from the airport and drive you there, places like Tom's Cruz offer a sedan door to door with a driver for around $70 plus tip.

Beware of the freeze-dried donkey!

Postby mightypotato » Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:49 pm

Whenever I go to CP, I stay at the Bayshore Estates campground. Its off site so you don't get that early entry. But its dirt cheap to stay there, has a free shuttle to the park and is actually quite nice. Although...the freight trains do run behind the campground every three hours at night.
Parks: 55, Steel: 234, Wood: 72, Total: 306
I ain't afraid of no rollycoaster!

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby myfootitches » Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:21 pm

If you're going to pay over a hundred more just for the option of staying "on-site", I'd suggest just renting a car then and staying at Breakers Express. You'll still get in an hour early, and you'll have the option to drive around if you want it.

Next

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!