Matt and Scott's Be All, End All, EPCOT Center Thread

Back from the dead! Update - Pavilions Never Built (Page 7)
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Beer Man

Matt and Scott's Be All, End All, EPCOT Center Thread

Postby mcjaco » Sun Mar 02, 2008 6:21 pm

A while back Scott (Beemerboy) and I started batting around the idea for a retro EPCOT thread. Something we could both post all of our random items, Photo TR's etc., involving EPCOT. Well it starts today.

For those of you in the "un-know," I have an serious affliction. It's called fanboyism, and it's for EPCOT. And not Epcot, but EPCOT Center. Yes, I'm an old coot that was around when it first opened it's doors. When it was awesomer than it is awesome now. When Figment was relevant, and they didn't stick him in a ride because the over the top fanboys pissed Disney off so much that they had to bring him back.

My first trip to EPCOT Center was in the first week of November of 1982. Four weeks after it opened, and during my families annual trip to Disney World. For months I sat glued in front of the TV watching shows on EPCOT's construction, and the immense planning that was going into Disney's second gate. I was mesmorized, and that first trip would not only make me have joygasms over that park, but no matter what, I still get goosebumps when I see Spaceship Earth.

First up in my collection of EPCOT Center stuff, is the first Pictorial Souvenir book. It's not too exciting unless you like conceptual art, as there isn't a photo in the book from the actual park. Some of these you'll see on other fan sites, some I don't think I've ever seen anywhere else. I'll post a retro Photo TR in a few days, of the same trip where we purchased this book, and you can see me in knee high tube socks.

Enjoy!
Last edited by mcjaco on Wed May 19, 2010 6:47 am.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby ernierocker » Sun Mar 02, 2008 6:53 pm

I am really looking forward to seeing all the retro EPCOT stuff you guys got!

I actually don't mind Test Track. It at least was a decent replacement.

And no argument from me on Horizons.

Thanks Matt for sharing!

TPR's Olden Goldie

Postby ebl » Sun Mar 02, 2008 7:17 pm

I never saw Epcot till 2002, so I missed some good stuff. Somewhere around here, I have an Epcot guide from about 1983 or 1984 that a friend brought me from his trip there.

Thanks for sharing some great stuff.

Eric
My Honda will run ringz around your Saturn.

Can I park my donkey here?

Postby socalRCfan » Sun Mar 02, 2008 7:20 pm

Strangely, it is so great and so sad to see EPCOT Center as it should be.

Is it me, or does Future World seem like a complete disaster now? I so miss Horizons and World of Motion. Sure, Test Track is a moderately pleasant attraction, but in EPCOT? Also, Mission Space is just a steaming pile.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby ernierocker » Sun Mar 02, 2008 7:30 pm

^I wouldn't call it a complete disaster. The problem with keeping all the rides the same, is that not everyone loved the nostalgia of them. Disney felt like they needed new rides to freshen things up. Plus, technology and time was catching up with Future World. Same deal with the Tomorrowlands. I just wished they hadn't messed with Figment or taken out Horizons.

"Excuse me, miss, may I pound my large rooster into your donkey?"

Postby stingrock23 » Sun Mar 02, 2008 8:32 pm

This is an awesome thread, thanks for starting it. Epcot is by far my favorite park in Orlando. I have a lot of good memories from Epcot in the 80's.
2007 TPR Midwest Trip,2008 TPR East Coast Trip,2009 TPR Deep South Trip

Beer Man

Postby mcjaco » Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:45 am

If anyone wants hi res copies of any of these PM me. Each full page is about 11MB. I wanted to get these saved ASAP, it only took me two years to find the book! :lolr:

I'm hoping to get the Photo TR portion up by the end of the week.

I Love Bunnies

Postby Teacups Make Me Sick » Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:16 am

Ohhh so Figment was a character that Disney brought back....

I went to Disney for the first time two years ago and the group that I was with had a "WTF" moment after going on that Journey Into Imagination ride. The ride seemed so out of place and unimaginative.

:mickey:

"Can I get clamshells out of this ATM?"

Postby montezooma » Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:14 am

What a great thread. I really enjoy seeing the concept art for EPCOT. Luckily I was able to visit EPCOT in it's opening year and many times since then. I enjoyed it in it's original state but I also enjoy it as it is today. Thanks for posting. Can't wait to see more!

I wish they would build a new Country in World Showcase. And wasn't there talk of building a "Matterhorn" type ride as Mt Fuji in the Japan pavilion?
Check out Season 5 of
Shane's Amusement Attic
NOW PLAYING
New Season, New Posts, New Logo...Old Stuff!

WDW Monorail Fanatic

Postby BeemerBoy » Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:29 am

I guess I should chime in since my name is attached, huh? ;)

Awesome start, Matt! I've been pretty busy the last couple days, but I hope to add some Epcot Center awesomeness by tonight for everyone to enjoy.

montezooma wrote:I wish they would build a new Country in World Showcase. And wasn't there talk of building a "Matterhorn" type ride as Mt Fuji in the Japan pavilion?

I've heard so many rumors of that type of thing over the years. For a while it was Switzerland with a Matterhorn. Then the in-thing was Russia. Then it was Isreal, then Spain, then Australia, then Compton with a Snoop-themed ride featuring lowrider ride vehicles. Okay, I'm kidding about one of those. I never heard Australia mentioned.

Anyway, I'm with you, Shane. I've been wishing for a new country for years. It's quite overdue.

Finally, Matt, that last pic of the back cover is pretty freakin' sexy, if I do say so myself. :Pr
Displaying "Online Enthusiast Morality" since 2006, with 99.9% more sarcasm.

Next

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!