Is this a Roller Coaster?

spaceace12

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

roller coaster

NOUN:

A steep, sharply curving elevated railway with small open passenger cars that is operated at high speeds as a ride, especially in an amusement park.

SOURCE: http://education.yahoo.com/reference/dictionary/entry/roller%20coaster

In essence a specialized railroad system, a roller coaster consists of a track that rises in designed patterns, sometimes with one or more inversions (such as loops) that turn the rider briefly upside down. The track does not necessarily have to be a complete circuit, as shuttle roller coasters exhibit. Most roller coasters have multiple cars in which passengers sit and are restrained into. An entire set of cars hooked together is called a train.

SOURCE: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roller_coasters

roller coaster Definition ☆ roller coaster

noun

an amusement ride in which small, open cars move on tracks that dip and curve sharply

SOURCE: http://www.yourdictionary.com/roller-coaster

You make the call...

IMO it's a flat.

i think the most of rollercoaster track should be steady, the can't use a constant power source, i has to have lifts or launches, but i think powereds aren't realy coasters.

but in the ends it's your call on what is and what isn't a coaster

It looks more like a flat ride to me. Two (maybe three? couldn't tell...) short, continuous, round tracks that are being rotated in a flat-style motion... the "coaster"-ish part doesn't look powered to me, but there's no lift hill either; the trains seem to be moved primarily by the undulating base...

I'm just going to go out on a limb and say no.

I don't know why, but the ride shown reminds me of

little marvel of poor engineering.

It looks more like a flat ride to me. Two (maybe three? couldn't tell...) short, continuous, round tracks that are being rotated in a flat-style motion... the "coaster"-ish part doesn't look powered to me, but there's no lift hill either; the trains seem to be moved primarily by the undulating base...

I'm just going to go out on a limb and say no.

I don't know why, but the ride shown reminds me of

little marvel of poor engineering.

I used to think it was three tracks too but if youll look carefully youll see its actually one ocntinuos helix that goes up ont eh otuside and dnown ont he inside

I know I read somewhere online a fairly accurate description of what constitutes a roller coaster, though unfortunately I can't remember where. But the article/web page said that (in their opinion) a roller coaster had to meet seven of eight characteristics they listed. I know the following characteristics were included, though they may be written or grouped differently:

A lift or launch to start the coaster

High speeds

Quick changes in direction

Noticeable changes in elevation

Other various elements (like inversions)