Six Flags Magic Mountain's New X2 Trains Photos & Video!

Behind the scenes interview w/ General Manager Tim Burkhart
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Archived Photo Trip Reports of Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, and Donkeys!
Site Admin

Six Flags Magic Mountain's New X2 Trains Photos & Video!

Postby robbalvey » Sat Feb 02, 2008 9:18 pm

Hey everyone!

To follow up from our report from a couple of weeks ago, Theme Park Review was invited today to come take an up close look at X2's new trains.

Since I know you guys are here to drool over the photos and watch the video over and over, I'm not going to type that much.

The following photos and video were shot today in the transfer shed of X2. So far 2 rows of cars have been delivered. The paint job or the "X change operation" is nearing completion and the park is anticipating a Spring 2008 re-opening.

Check out both the photos and video below for a more in-depth explanation of many changes that were made to the trains.

Enjoy!

--Robb

EDIT! TPR Members! Now you can download the high res versions of these photos along with a DVD Image of the video in our Members Only forum:
http://www.themeparkreview.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=7
x2_trains_37.jpg
From outside the park you can see that almost all the track is now red. The "X Change Operation" which will take X from being girly pink & yellow to manly red & black is almost done!
Viewed 46778 times
x2_trains_36.jpg
If you look REAL close, you can still see some yellow left.
Viewed 46772 times
x2_trains_35.jpg
Well, we were promised a look at the X2 trains, so let's follow the new signs to the ride!
Viewed 46771 times
x2_trains_16.jpg
Wait a second! That's a trash bag with a wheel sticking out! You can't fool me!!!
Viewed 46771 times
x2_trains_20.jpg
Oh. *blush* I see. There really IS a train under there!
Viewed 46770 times
x2_trains_10.jpg
So Tim Burkhart, SFMM General Manager explained that one of the main differences was converting the old "Pickle Forks" into "Pickle Spoons." (The actual technical term. We're not making this up! Someone went through YEARS of engineering school for this so please don't make fun of their names!)
Viewed 46770 times
x2_trains_24.jpg
Here you can see the old "Pickle Forks" that the seats rest on...
Viewed 46770 times
x2_trains_03.jpg
The new "Pickle Spoon" is one giant piece, and while lighter than the old pickle fork, should be more stable and make for a smoother ride.
Viewed 46770 times
x2_trains_04.jpg
In fact reducing weight was a primary goal for the new trains. You'll see holes punched into the steel framework on the new trains...
Viewed 46769 times
x2_trains_30.jpg
...that used to be solid steel on the old trains.
Viewed 46769 times
x2_trains_02.jpg
The wheels...while yes they are still round...note that the assembly is one solid piece on the new train...
Viewed 46768 times
x2_trains_28.jpg
...Whereas on the old trains there were a lot more welds and bolts that held it together.
Viewed 46766 times
x2_trains_05.jpg
The manual restraints will now open and close pneumatically by the push of a button...
Viewed 46766 times
x2_trains_27.jpg
..rather than jumping up and down on pedals that never seemed to work quite right on the old trains. This should make any load/unload issues in the station quicker to help increase capacity.
Viewed 46766 times
x2_trains_12.jpg
You can see here where many changes were made to help lighten up the trains. All those holes used to be solid on the old trains.
Viewed 46766 times
x2_trains_19.jpg
As Tim explains in the video, the only piece that is currently missing is the "Elephant Ear" (which is not just a tasty fried dough treat, it's also the highly technical term of a protective piece that keeps your arm from becoming shredded beef!)
Viewed 46766 times
x2_trains_26.jpg
The "Elephant Ear" on the old train. (Any one else getting hungry reading through this report???)
Viewed 46766 times
x2_trains_10.jpg
Gone are the fiberglass "X" coverings in another effort to cut back on the weight of the train.
Viewed 46766 times
x2_trains_25.jpg
Personally, I never really thought they looked THAT much like an "X" anyway. And hey, if it helps make the ride smoother, that's great! I for one aren't looking at the fiberglass parts while I'm riding anyway.

And because I know you're all facinated with bolts and steel, next up is the "bolts and steel" portion of the update.
Viewed 46766 times
x2_trains_18.jpg
Here's some bolts.
Viewed 46765 times
x2_trains_13.jpg
Here some steel!

Wasn't that fun? =)
Viewed 46765 times
x2_trains_01.jpg
Ok, ok...we ALSO have a photo for you trash bag enthusiasts out there!!! Yay!!!
Viewed 46765 times
x2_trains_11.jpg
New train.....old train!
Viewed 46765 times
x2_trains_32.jpg
So there they are...the new X2 trains. Excited? You better be! ;)
Viewed 46765 times
x2_trains_21.jpg
Look ma! No more pink!
Viewed 46765 times
x2_trains_22.jpg
Ok, I lied...there is a SMIDGEN of pink! (Dude, I can't believe it...I hit spell check and I actually spelled 'smidgen' correctly!)
Viewed 46765 times
x2_trains_23.jpg
Master! The X Change Operation is almost complete! BWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!
Viewed 46765 times
x2_trains_34.jpg
Yup. When it opens it's going to launch at 85MPH! Didn't you hear about that part? Ok, ok, I'm just kidding!

Hopefully we'll see a lot of TPR members at the ride's opening in the Spring!

Special thanks to Tim and Neal for putting up with me today! =)
Viewed 46765 times

SFMM's Tim Burkhart explains all the new hottness of X2's trains!
(downloadable version of this video is below)

x2_trains.wmv [ 17.24 MiB | Viewed 46764 times ]

x2_trains.zip
(17.07 MiB) Downloaded 994 times

I know more about donkeys than women!

Postby DRACHEN_FIRE_FAN-BOY » Sat Feb 02, 2008 9:53 pm

you think they will still have that cool chameleon paint thing for the new "elephant ears"
x2_trains_25_650.jpg
Viewed 46727 times
Robb and I on Storm Runner: weeeeeeeeeeeee, LASER-SNAKE-HORSE-ON-FIRE-ROLL!

"I like trains"

Postby Wes » Sat Feb 02, 2008 9:58 pm

BUT THE PROMO ART SHOWED FIBERGLASS PIECES!!! HOW COULD SIX FLAGS LIE TO US??!?! :( :( :(

Seriously though, the trains are looking great! I was thinking the other day how much higher I'd rank X if it was consistently smooth and running kick A$$, now it looks like its close to reality. Yeah the trains are a little more industrial, but I don't care what they look like, as long as they are making X a better ride.

Plus this will definitely make the internet know-it-alls shut the hell up!

Macaroni and Donkey

Postby SFNEFan123 » Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:02 pm

Those new trains are very sexy!

It's awesome that the modifications of the trains will give X a smoother ride.

EDIT: X2 a smoother ride! =)
-Jack

Keeper Of The Carnivorous Bees!

Postby Meteornotes » Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:03 pm

^^Sadly, as I'm sure you know, internet know-it-alls never shut the hell up, no matter how much evidence is shown to them.

Trains look cool. Curious to see how the ride runs when it opens back up.

dt
Always trying to keep YOU entertained! Now with more Ice Bat!
The world would be a better place if Dave programmed our iPods - Derwood

A zonkey is a cross between a zebra and a donkey.

Postby John Peck » Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:08 pm

Someone over at C-Buzz mentioned that all those holes may make for interesting dynamics, I take it all that engineeering has been worked out.

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:12 pm

John Peck wrote:Someone over at C-Buzz mentioned that all those holes may make for interesting dynamics, I take it all that engineeering has been worked out.

We all know that everyong at C-Buzz thinks they are the "internet know-it-alls!" ;)

Yes, I'm sure they have worked out the engineering over the many years they have spent working on the new trains.

Either that or Tim is right now on the other side of the screen smacking his head "DOH!!! We didn't even think about that!"

:lolr:

--Robb

TPR's Favorite Beaner

Postby RCFreak » Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:32 pm

OOO mabye it'll whistle! On board sound after all?

Awesome update and I can't wait to ride X2! (I was a huge fan of X even in it's "rough" state)

I love donkeys more than me.

Postby Top Thrill Dragster » Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:44 pm

The trains look great!

Will the part of the butter fly restraints, that makes contact with your shoulders have extra padding? Thats one BIG complaint that I have always had with X, after a few rides my shoulders would be bruised or VERY sore.
Apollos Chariot #1!

Nuthin' better than a naked donkey!

Postby WFChris » Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:54 pm

Drachen Fire Fan Boy,

According to what the Picture Set said, they are doing away with the whole X fin fiberglass thing anyway, so to answer your question about the chameleon paint scheme, I guess it would be 'no' as there will be nowhere to put it :)

Chris.

Next

Return to Photo Trip Report Archive