TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Ever been on a coaster when it broke down (got stuck, etc.)?

Hey everyone! I didn't think this belonged on the random board...So, have any of you been on a roller coaster (or I guess any other type of ride) when anything at all went wrong/wasn't right with it? The only thing I can remember that happened to me was when I went on the Top Thrill Dragster last May...it didn't make it over the top and it rolled all the way back to the station. We had to get off the ride so they could fix it. :shock: I have to admit that I got sorta scared when it slowed down and started to fly backwards lol...Oh yeah--also, when that one power outage of the North-Eastern states happened in August a couple years ago, I was at Darien Lake and the Superman was almost right at the top of the lift hill and then it just stopped--but I wasn't on it. Luckily, I wasn't on any rides when the power went out. What's happened to all of you?

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You'd think with all the riding I've done I would have lots of these stories, but I really don't! The best was probably getting stuck on Villains Lift for 20 minutes and eventually having to be walked down.

Elissa "and then we got these kids ejected for doing graffiti!" Alvey

The numerous times Oblivion / Air has broken down on me.. Normally it's just in the station. but a couple of years ago on Air it stopped in the brake-run. Soo not a fun experience to be hanging there I tell ya!

I'm waiting for the day Shakira stops before the first drop and doesn't go down. It happens to Oblivion sometimes and they've had 7 years to fix it!

Elissa, everyone gets stuck on Villain! That ride probably gets stuck on that hill once a week - it's ridiculous. I've been stuck on Villain, Batman Knight Flight on the MCBR and the best was S:RoS on the lift for 15 minutes. Other than coasters, I sat at the top of a Intamin First Generation Free fall for about a half hour and a mechanic had to come up to figure some stuff out. SFWoA was so full that day that the X-Flight line was over two hours, so we got free exit passes. Some times it pays off to get stuck!

^OMG are you serious??? The same thing happened to me during the 2000 Howl-O-Scream!! Mabey we were on the same train. I think i was in the second row or something but I do remember waiting on the final break run for about 10 minutes.

Once it was getting stormy out and i had to walk down from Montu's lift hill. It was pretty cool as it was close to the top of the lift, but no exit passes for us (BOOO).

And another time i was stuck on Mantis for about 15 minutes while the ride op's cleaned off some puke in the train in front of us.

Colin C

I still can't believe this. I was on the Yankee Cannonball and both sets of brakes failed. The thing went around for about 5 times while they got a mechanic to fix it.

The best "breakdown" ever was when I was on a Roundup. It starts spinning, lifts up a little bit, goes back down, stops spinning, and the ride operator gets on, screams at this guy, forces him to exit, then starts the ride again. Now the guy must have apparently gotten back in line, because she turns around, yells at him instead, and forgets that the thing is still spinning. The best part is that this was the first ride of the day, and that the Cannonball broke.

Not a personal "got stuck" story. But I went to Canadas Wonderland on Opening day in 1987 and everything was getting stuck.

I saw:

The Bat hanging at the top of the first chain (30 minutes, No Evac)

Skyrider stuck at the top of the lift (45 minutes, No Evac)

Mine Buster stuck on the lift (30 minutes, Evacuated)

While we were getting reading to come into the station on Titan after a great ride, someone threw up on a train in front of us. We had to wait about 30 minutes for us ride into the station. That is the only story i have that i was "Kinda Stuck" on a ride.

I was at SFOT on that day titan got stuck on the Lift Hill for a few hours. The story was on all DFW News Channels. :?

....nothing too major

A couple of years ago at SFA we were just coming into the station when the train stopped on Superman -Ride of Steel. We were stuck for about 30 minutes. The worst part was it started raining. The ride ops couldn't have cared less. They could have easily evacuated us but didn't. Given us a front of line pass but didn't, Brought us some ponchos but didn't. I was very dissapointed in how they handled it.

The year before I was on Splash Mountain in Disneyland when it broke down, twice on the same trip. The first time we at the bottom of the first little lift hill. After about 2 or 3 minutes, the guy in front of me jumped out of the log and wanted to see what was over the first hill. No sooner had he got out of the log we heard over the load speaker "SIR, PLEASE REMAIN IN THE LOG, THE RIDE WILL RESUME SHORTLY" It wasn't more then a minute and the ride started again. Later that same day we were back on the ride and this time the ride stopped when we were going up the second lift hill. They came and got us and evacuated us. We were only stuck for maybe 5 minutes but it was uncomfortable because of the angle we were stopped at. We got to walk through a little of Splash Mountain and came out the back. They gave us front of line passes which we used that night.

I must add: I got stuck on that ET ride @ USH. We were stuck for probably a 20 mins or so in this 1 spot where this music kept playing over and over...it got really annoying. My cousin bit the bike handle grips off due to irritation, not to mention 2 or 3 other 5 minute stalls. Finally, the ride kicked back in and we got back to the station. I was glad to get off that ride... We were already disappointed with the ride being as in the USH commercials, it showed people on bikes for the ET ride and when we saw the cars, they looked like wheelchairs.

I've been on a number of rides when they have stopped in the middle of the course. The only time I ever had to get off was when Twisted Twins broke down once while I was on the lift hill and they ended up making us walk back down and around into the station.

The big story however....

In 2001, I was on Face/Off at PKI. I was seated so that I rode it backward first and then forward. Well, as the train rolled up the second lift, I naturally fell forward on the restraint. When that happened, the restraint popped open. Aside from the incredible terror that overcame me, this was quite surprising because I'm not that big of a person. At the time, I was 5'10'' weighing in at about 160 lbs. Anyway, the safety belt of course prevented the harness from going all the way up, and in all reality, there is no way that I could have slipped out because the openings just weren't big enough, but I was definately no longer sitting in my seat. I was scared to death. The train went all the way up the lift and released. As the train went through the loop. I was able to push myself back into the seat and my harness then popped back into place. When we got back in the station, I informed the ride ops and they then shut the ride down for an hour (I was waiting in line for quite some time to ride DZ following the incident). My life was never in serious danger, but it still goes down as one of the scariest things I've ever experienced.

I've been stuck on V2 at SfGam for 20 minutes while it was stuck outside of the station.

I've been stopped at a block for Ragin' Cajun(SfGam) for about 10 minutes.

I've seen Dejavu break millions of times! 1 which was very scary.(And no, it was not normal.)

I have been stuck on Wild Thing at Valleyfair! when the lapbars wouldn't release and they had to release each one manually and some still wouldn't open.

I'm sure there are more. That's all that I can think of at the moment.

Only time I can think of was this past August during SFNE's Superhero Celebration 3. My bro and I got stuck in Mind Eraser's brake run for about 25 minutes during clean-up ops. OUCH!!! Everyone knows how uncomfy a Vekoma SLC seat can be, but damn...that hurt...

How on earth did you get stuck on Half-Pipe?

Because last year was the first year it opened, it had some problems, I dont expect a coaster to be perfect when it dose open

Just by the restraints, and same with TTD

On TTD the launch failed for us also, we were put on the launch pad, the train in front of us launched, but our turn, we moved forward sat with the dragster sounds going, but never launched. But I was lucky cause the ops came and undid all our restraints and we got to walk down the TTD catwalk! 8)

Hey everyone! I didn't think this belonged on the random board...So, have any of you been on a roller coaster (or I guess any other type of ride) when anything at all went wrong/wasn't right with it?

Yep. Last October during Fright Fest at SFMW. Read all about it here..

Though not a coaster, I was one of the LUCKY people stuck on the Pirate at Kennywood when the drive-wheels undernieth failed. We swang, and swung, and swang, and swung, and (BLAAAAAHHHHH!) Although the local media did blow it out of proportion a bit, it's not a ride you want to be stuck on, letting just gravity stop the ride.