Photo TR: Three Weeks of Insanity! From BGE to BGA to DCA.

PLUS: TPR Sponsors My Car?! FULL REPORT IS UP!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Archived Photo Trip Reports of Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, and Donkeys!
Nuthin' better than a naked donkey!

Photo TR: Three Weeks of Insanity! From BGE to BGA to DCA.

Postby 65skylark » Wed Nov 14, 2007 12:33 am

OK everyone. This is by far the longest Photo TR I have ever posted. Because of that, I will be posting in sections. I do plan on having the whole thing up within 24 hours, though. Basically, I spent three weeks away from home for a number of different reasons. For it all to make sense, I need to give a quick back story. I'll try to make it short. For those of you who could really care less, by all means, just skip to the pictures. For the other five or six of you, here's the scoop.....

- Around mid July of this year, my family and I decided to make plans to go to Orlando this October to meet up with some friends from TPR and enjoy the parks while their Halloween events were going on. We were very excited as my wife and I hadn't been to Orlando in over ten years and the kids had never been at all. We booked our flights, purchased some of our event tickets, and were just counting down the days. Then, everything changed.

As some of you know, I drag race my '65 Buick Skylark. I race every week at Portland International Raceway competing for points in my class to qualify to race at the NHRA Division Six Final every year during the second weekend in September. Long story short, I won! But, that isn't even the best part (although it was pretty freakin awesome). The best part, was that by winning, and becoming the division champion, I was paid $3500 by Summit Racing Equipment in traveling expenses to race at the NHRA Finals in Pomona, CA for a national championship! The only bad thing was that I had to be in Pomona on Oct. 31st, the day we were scheduled to fly home from Orlando. Oh well, we'll just reschedule our flight home and pay the airline penalties. I mean I just won $3500, right? Well, then something REALLY major came up.

I have been wanting to go into business for myself for several years now, but having a secure job, and wanting to take my time to make sure I made the right decision, had kept me from doing anything. Then the perfect opportunity came along. A Meineke franchise came up for sale and I had the inside track on buying it, so I did! One of the requirements to becoming a Meineke franchisee, is to attend a two week long training course in Charlotte, North Carolina. The class was from Oct 15th to the 26th. Florida was going to have be canceled.............well, almost.

Part One: Carowinds (This Post)
Part Two: Busch Gardens Europe (Scroll Down)
Part Three: Kings Dominion Click HERE
Part Four: Busch Gardens Africa Click HERE
Part Five: Cypress Gardens Click HERE
Part Six: Animal Kingdom and Epcot Click HERE
Part Seven: Halloween at The Disneyland Resort Click HERE
Part Eight: Day Two at DLR and I Get Paid! Click HERE
Part Nine: Six Flags Magic Mountain And A Little More Disney Click HERE
Part Ten: The Race Click HERE

I arrived in Charlotte around 11am on Sunday, so naturally, I planned some time to go to Carowinds.
Meineke Training Class 006 (Small).jpg
After a nice relaxing nine hour flight, I am here. I really hadn't heard much about this park one way or the other, so I didn't know really what to expect.
Meineke Training Class 003 (Small).jpg
Scarowinds was in full swing.
Meineke Training Class 007 (Small).jpg
Very scary orange water fountain.
Meineke Training Class 008 (Small).jpg
I see Stealth....er....I mean, BORG Assimilator.
Meineke Training Class 009 (Small).jpg
I had already rode BORG when it was at Knott's Cedar Great America California Fair so I will be skipping it for now.
Meineke Training Class 018 (Small).jpg
Now we're talking. I am admittedly a B&M invert fanboy. I had always heard good things about this one so I was pretty excited.
Meineke Training Class 015 (Small).jpg
1:00 in the afternoon on a Sunday and this is what the station looked like. Not too bad.
Meineke Training Class 097 (Small).jpg
Honestly, I was a little disappointed. It was still a great coaster overall, but I would rate it at the bottom of my B&M invert list with Great Bear.
Meineke Training Class 024 (Small).jpg
Time for the fairy coaster.
Meineke Training Class 028 (Small).jpg
"Um, mom. Are you sure I'll be OK riding with this guy? He keeps taking pictures of himself."
Meineke Training Class 030 (Small).jpg
The Fairy Coaster was actually the surprise of the day for me. I thought it was really good.
Meineke Training Class 034 (Small).jpg
No line for this one either, but I just wasn't feeling enough like a whore to ride it. I could have probably asked my new friend to ride with me too, if needed. I know, I'm a discrace to dredit whores everywhere.
Meineke Training Class 031 (Small).jpg
How's it going Ed?
Meineke Training Class 044 (Small).jpg
Hey BeemerBoy, does this count as a monorail shout out? No? Oh well, I tried.
Meineke Training Class 107 (Small).jpg
I had never been on a Jr. SLC before. Looks pretty tame. Can't be too bad, right?
Meineke Training Class 039 (Small).jpg
For all the lift POV fanboys.
Meineke Training Class 040 (Small).jpg
Yeah, right about here is where the pain begins. Seriously, these things are terrible. For a coaster that probably never goes more than 20mph, this thing beats the crap out of you.
Meineke Training Class 054 (Small).jpg
Since I had just gotten my brains beat in, I figured I was on a roll. Why stop now.
Meineke Training Class 049 (Small).jpg
Another long wait. I remember waiting for an hour to ride this thing when it was at KCGACF.
Meineke Training Class 050 (Small).jpg
Laying on your back, with all the blood rushing to your head, waiting for the slow ops to send the train. FUN! B&M really took everything about these, and made it better.
Meineke Training Class 053 (Small).jpg
This part of the ride is still a lot of fun. The rest..........not so much.
Meineke Training Class 058 (Small).jpg
Vortex. I hope this one is better than the other old school stand-up on the other side of the country with the same name.
Meineke Training Class 059 (Small).jpg
You guys getting tired of seeing pictures of empty stations yet? No? Good, because I got more.
Meineke Training Class 060 (Small).jpg
Actually, not to horrible.
Meineke Training Class 065 (Small).jpg
Alright. Woodie credit #2 for the day.
Meineke Training Class 066 (Small).jpg
I took this picture before riding. It is the only picture I got of Hurler, because I was too busy getting my spine adjusted, and a few cracked ribs taken care of after riding, to get any more pictures. Seriously, the best way I can describe Hurler, is, Psyclone with air-time.
Meineke Training Class 068 (Small).jpg
After Hurler, Carolina Cyclone can't be that bad, right?
Meineke Training Class 074 (Small).jpg
Wrong.
Meineke Training Class 072 (Small).jpg
Wow, a line! That must be, what, ten minutes? Again, the credit whore in me just wasn't showing up, and ten minutes is a very long time to wait for a wild mouse, so I passed. Plus, there was a mine train somewhere over here I wanted to ride.
Meineke Training Class 051 (Small).jpg
There it is. Looks like a lot of people on it too.
Meineke Training Class 080 (Small).jpg
Wow! A coaster that doesn't totally suck. Score!

Time to head back to the other end of the park for a credit I missed earlier.
Meineke Training Class 103 (Small).jpg
The powers that be.
Meineke Training Class 102 (Small).jpg
Didn't get a chance to ride the Scooby Doo dark ride. I'm guessing I didn't miss much.
Meineke Training Class 087 (Small).jpg
Now, who says Cedar Fair isn't "large people" friendly?
Meineke Training Class 091 (Small).jpg
Much better than Hurler. Not nearly as good as the Fairy Coaster. Backwards side was not running. Probably a good thing.
Meineke Training Class 104 (Small).jpg
Really a very clean, nice, pretty park. Even on a day as slow as this, every coaster that could was running two trains. Only problem.... the coasters suck! Aside from Top Gun, there were two other decent, but nothing special, coasters, and then the rest was absolute crap. Actually, I didn't ride Ricochet. Too bad. It was probably the next best coaster in the park next to Top Gun.
Meineke Training Class 093 (Small).jpg
Speaking of Top Gun. Might as well get in one more ride while I'm here.
Meineke Training Class 094 (Small).jpg
I rode in the back for my last ride and it was a little better. Even at the bottom of my invert list, I would still give it a solid 8 on a scale of 1 to 10. Did I say I love these things?
Meineke Training Class 110 (Small).jpg
On the way out I saw they were selling old Paramount shirts 2 for 5 bucks! Now that's a deal.
Meineke Training Class 111 (Small).jpg
And I will end this section with a picture of the famous Carowinds pole.

A knight who says NI!

Postby Purplepills » Wed Nov 14, 2007 1:06 am

Nice pics and TR, thanks for sharing.

Oh and you also get a bonus point for using boobies and pole in the same sentence, well done! :lolr:
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean I'm not being followed.

Xbox Live gamertag: Purplepiiis, it makes sense when you see it on there. Add me if you want to play CoD4, not that I'm that good or anything.

Postby 65skylark » Wed Nov 14, 2007 1:45 am

Part Two: Busch Gardens Europe

So, after a week of classes, including half a day on Saturday, I was free for the rest of the weekend. After weighing all of my options, I decided my best course of action would be to drive up to Virginia and hit BGE and KD. Since they were so close together, I figured I could do them both in the limited amount of time I had. Plus, I had been wanting to go to BGE for a long time now. I left Charlote at about 3:30 in the afternoon and arrived at BGE in time to get my season pass processed and spend a few hours in the park before closing.
Meineke Training Class 144 (Small).jpg
Time to hit the road. But I seem to be missing something very important.
Meineke Training Class 152 (Small).jpg
That's better! Now I'm set.
Meineke Training Class 154 (Small).jpg
Yay, state credit #15. I know, I really need to get out more.
Meineke Training Class 156 (Small).jpg
Virginia has the nicest rest area's EVER! Seriously, this is just a rest area. I must have passed at least three or four just like it.
Meineke Training Class 157 (Small).jpg
Five hours later, I arrive at BGE.
Meineke Training Class 159 (Small).jpg
They were also geared up for Halloween.
Meineke Training Class 162 (Small).jpg
These guys were chillin out just inside the entrance.
Meineke Training Class 164 (Small).jpg
Most of the park was all fogged up. I thought they did a really nice job overall.
Meineke Training Class 167 (Small).jpg
One of the scare zones was by the wolf exhibit. Naturally, they had werewolves hanging out in this zone. Apparently, this warewolf was on a break.
Meineke Training Class 168 (Small).jpg
Griffon was down. Hopefully, it would be up and running again by tomorrow.
Meineke Training Class 174 (Small).jpg
Darkastle was looking pretty sweet after dark.
Meineke Training Class 177 (Small).jpg
Ooooooh.
Meineke Training Class 180 (Small).jpg
Clowns. Ever since watching Poltergeist for the first time as a kid, clowns have always kind of freaked me out. Clowns and chicken. And braces. And trees.
Meineke Training Class 187 (Small).jpg
See, trees are scary.
Meineke Training Class 188 (Small).jpg
The next morning I arrived bright and early. Scary dude was still there holding his sign. I was able to get in rides on Alpengeist, Big Bad Wolf, and Apollo's Chariot before leaving last night, so I was sitting good to start the day.
Meineke Training Class 190 (Small).jpg
Lock Ness Monster was the first ride of the day.
Meineke Training Class 191 (Small).jpg
This is now my favorite Arrow looper. Loved the tunnel helix.
Meineke Training Class 196 (Small).jpg
Even during the day they really went all out with there Halloween theming.
Meineke Training Class 198 (Small).jpg
The real wolves were out today.
Meineke Training Class 200 (Small).jpg
Griffon already had about a 20 minute wait and the park had technically only been open for about 5 minutes. One of the many things I loved about this park is that they let you in, and even had some of the rides going, before they were scheduled to open.
Meineke Training Class 201 (Small).jpg
Not only was Griffon a fantastic coaster, but it was also a very photogenic coaster.
Meineke Training Class 205 (Small).jpg
One of the best inversions on any coaster out there, IMO.
Meineke Training Class 202 (Small).jpg
Another angle.
Meineke Training Class 213 (Small).jpg
And another =)
Meineke Training Class 212 (Small).jpg
Totally awesome first drop!
Meineke Training Class 207 (Small).jpg
Here's a picture you've never seen before.
Meineke Training Class 216 (Small).jpg
And one last shot of the best coaster in the park.
Meineke Training Class 219 (Small).jpg
What is that I see?!
Meineke Training Class 223 (Small).jpg
Have I mentioned that I LOVE these things yet?
Meineke Training Class 231 (Small).jpg
Inverted loopiness.
Meineke Training Class 225 (Small).jpg
Money shot right there. Oh, speaking of log flumes.
Meineke Training Class 229 (Small).jpg
Hey Ted!
Meineke Training Class 230 (Small).jpg
OK, back to Alpengeist.
Meineke Training Class 233 (Small).jpg
Big thumbs up! Thought it was great.
Meineke Training Class 234 (Small).jpg
Hey, I've looked like that on skis before.
Meineke Training Class 251 (Small).jpg
I always thought Ninja at SFMM was good, but this thing is just sick! Totally awesome!
Meineke Training Class 252 (Small).jpg
Another reason I love Busch parks. The food is fantastic. All of this for 16 bucks. It would cost you ten buck for a lousy hamburger and a soft drink at almost any other park.
Meineke Training Class 255 (Small).jpg
Theming is pretty good too.
Meineke Training Class 256 (Small).jpg
Just a very beautifull park.
Meineke Training Class 247 (Small).jpg
Bet you've never seen this picture before! I know, I know, I have a gift.
Meineke Training Class 257 (Small).jpg
This is where the evil clowns live.
Meineke Training Class 258 (Small).jpg
A few of them even hang out during the day.
Meineke Training Class 262 (Small).jpg
Time for one last ride on Apollo's Chariot. I got three rides in all. It was a good coaster, but I thought Goliath at SFoG was considerably better.
Meineke Training Class 263 (Small).jpg
Again with the theming.
Meineke Training Class 267 (Small).jpg
I think I'll pass on the highly themed, but very wet, boat ride.

So that was my time at BGE. Simply put, fantastic park! Easily one of the top five parks I have ever been to.

Kings Dominion coming up next. Stay tunned.........

TPR's Favorite Beaner

Postby RCFreak » Wed Nov 14, 2007 2:01 am

Dude, Awesome pics so far! Can't wait to see the rest. I really need to get to the other coast more (my state count is only up to 9) and griffon looks like a lot of fun.

WDW Monorail Fanatic

Postby BeemerBoy » Wed Nov 14, 2007 6:39 am

Hey BeemerBoy, does this count as a monorail shout out? No? Oh well, I tried.

:lolr: Well, as they say, it's the thought and the effort that really count.

Congrats are in order on the victory, the franchise, and a big trip on top of all that! (yep, I'm one of the 5 or 6 that read the lead-in.) Oh yeah, and awesome report thus far, with some great pics.

As a fellow B&M invert fanboy, I'm a bit dismayed to hear your account of Top Gun. I've heard great things too, but now I'm even more curious. Oh well, I guess I'll just have to find out for myself next season.
Displaying "Online Enthusiast Morality" since 2006, with 99.9% more sarcasm.

What is this, Joisey?

Postby Swimace » Wed Nov 14, 2007 8:57 am

Great TR! I love BGE and I recently moved about two hours away from Carowinds but have yet to get a visit in.

I love B&M inverts, they're pretty much amazing. Alpengeist sits at the bottom of my list of inverts, below Silver Bullet and Great Bear. It's the only B&M invert that I've been on that I really didn't enjoy that much.

I think Apollo's Chariot > SFOG's Goliath, but they're both incredible rides.

Keep up the good updates!

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Wed Nov 14, 2007 8:59 am

I think I felt the same way about Carowinds as you did, Justin: one great coaster (Top Gun), one "interesting" coaster (Borg), and a bunch of mediocre (Carolina Cyclone) to lousy (Reptar) coasters. It's an OK park, but I don't think I'd make a special trip just to go there, although Top Gun is more awesome at night.

Yay for Euroburg!

The Resident Smart-Ass

Postby CoasterFanatic » Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:41 am

Muchos Gracias for the log flume props.
Ted

Postby 65skylark » Wed Nov 14, 2007 10:09 am

BeemerBoy wrote:
As a fellow B&M invert fanboy, I'm a bit dismayed to hear your account of Top Gun. I've heard great things too, but now I'm even more curious. Oh well, I guess I'll just have to find out for myself next season.

I really don't know what it was about that one. Don't get me wrong, I still thought it was a great coaster, as was Great Bear. They just didn't quite stack up to the others. But, I really like Alpengeist and Silver Bullet, and those are probably the two most bashed inverts out there.

Swimace wrote:I think Apollo's Chariot > SFOG's Goliath, but they're both incredible rides.

Yeah, I'm sure people would be pretty divided on that one. Apollo was a great ride. What does it for me with Goliath is simply the extra-ordinary amount of air-time as compared to any other coaster I have been on.

Thanks for all of the comments so far. I have a dentist appointment (YAY!) in about 20 minutes. But, I am off the entire day, so I hope to get this beast finished up by tonight!

Slightly racist and terrible at poetry

Postby Team Thriller » Wed Nov 14, 2007 10:24 am

Can't wait to see more! Simply awesome!! ;)

We Ride with Pride

Next

Return to Photo Trip Report Archive